Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Diamond SG-7500NMO (Super Gainer series) Help

Reviews Summary for Diamond SG-7500NMO (Super Gainer series)
Diamond SG-7500NMO (Super Gainer series) Reviews: 20 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $79.95
Description: 2m/70cm NMO-mount mobile antenna

You can write your own review of the Diamond SG-7500NMO (Super Gainer series).

KD9IAQ Rating: 5/5 Aug 9, 2017 10:36 Send this review to a friend
Recommended  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Highly recommended, very low reflected power with 1/4 w 70cm and 1/2 w 2 meter.

KG7OOM Rating: 5/5 Sep 27, 2016 22:04 Send this review to a friend
I love this antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am able to be hit repeaters with no problems as far as 55 miles.

Easy to install with NMO mount. Just make sure to check all screws for tightness.

I get awesome coverage with this antenna.

VE2DC Rating: 5/5 Apr 18, 2016 11:41 Send this review to a friend
26 years and still working great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Original review: I put one of these on my new Miata many years ago (1990). The antenna outlasted the car which I had for 13 years. A little steel wool and a little grease in the hinge and it's ready to be mounted on my new Miata.
Update: Installed it on my "new" Miata (MX5) in 2006. Still going strong after 26 years (23 in service) with just an occasional cleanup and lubrication of the fold-over joint and a bit of anti-seize compound in the threads. Still using the original Diamond mount too.

VE7REN Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2016 19:09 Send this review to a friend
excellent...#1  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own 3 of these antennas.. the first one I bought 4 years ago for my truck. I use a dualband and this antenna performs better than my Larsen ever did.. it has a foldover at the base,that mechanically strong ans easy to fold by pulling up on the antenna. the whip is larger diameter than most antenna,so no bending as much.. the reception is excellent.. I cannot find anything bad...nothing about this antenna,and ive had at least 5 other brands over the years,and the DIAMOND beats them all... if you want a well built dualband antenna for mobile,or low profile at the home{which I have on the deck} this IS the antenna to purchase

KY4TS Rating: 5/5 Aug 14, 2014 13:26 Send this review to a friend
Very good antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Good sturdy antenna. Performs as advertised. I bought this to fit on an NMO mount that was already installed on a new vehicle. If you have the $$$, this antenna is hard to beat.

W3DBB Rating: 4/5 Feb 9, 2014 09:29 Send this review to a friend
Good 70cm performance  Time owned: more than 12 months
I give the SG-7500NMO a 4 out of 5 rating because of its so-so performance at 2 meters as compared with its great performance at 70 centimeters. This area is some distance from most 2 meter repeaters so would have preferred more than a single half-wave for 2 meters, but the specifications for the Diamond luggage rack mount K515NMO I am using advise against using an antenna taller than 45".

To be fair and to provide a bit of a disclaimer for my own remarks, I am using the SG-7500NMO with a Yaesu FTM-350R dual bander. The Yaesu doesn't have the greatest receiver for 2m FM voice. The design of the FTM-350R may have been optimized for APRS. Its too-fast AGC, not so quiet receiver, undersized audio output amplifier, and high-pitched piercing transmit audio lead me to this conclusion. This rig has a beautiful display but when it comes to functionality the Kenwood models beat it hands down.

In the past I have used the Comet SBB-7NMO and the Lakeview 5/8 wave mag-mount for 2 meters, albeit with Icom IC-2100H's which are better receivers than the FTM-350R, with better results. If you live in a populous area you might not notice the mediocre performance of the half-wave at 2 meters.

There are no 70cm repeaters in this area but when I'm on the road the 70cm performance from this antenna is stellar. The two 5/8 wave elements at 70cm do a great job.

The SG-7500NMO is well-made. I would describe it as rugged. I like the foldover feature- very handy. The included cable assembly is also well-made but seems to have been designed for user-convenience as much as for an efficient transmission line. It consists of 13.5' of RG-316 coaxial cable which as I understand it is thin like RG-174 but constructed of teflon dielectric and a PVC outer jacket. This included cable is terminated with a standard NMO-female at one end and a SMA-male at the other. Diamond also includes a SMA to PL-259 adapter so everything is ready to go. I'm not enamored of the thin coax or the adaptor with its attendant impedance bump, particularly as a feedline for a 50 Watt VHF-UHF transmitter.

I might realize a bit better 2 meter receiver performance by removing the cable assembly & adapter and running a standard NMO to about 17' of RG-58 terminated in a PL-259 between the SG-7500NMO and the FTM-350R.

W3DBB
Doug

N2QGV Rating: 5/5 Feb 9, 2014 01:49 Send this review to a friend
Long term......  Time owned: more than 12 months
I was visiting the Orlando area in 1992 and my Larson antenna took a dump. Went to AES and bought the SG7500. I moved to Florida a year later, and the antenna has been mounted on a vehicle ever since. So the antenna is 22 years old now, on the back of a Jeep Wrangler, and is working just fine.

VA3MLV Rating: 5/5 Oct 6, 2013 13:25 Send this review to a friend
2nd review   Time owned: more than 12 months
Well it's been mounted as a trunk mounted dual bander on my mobile for about a year or so and it performs really well with a FT 7800R transceiver , even though its pretty directional due to where it's mounted. It would probably work a bit better mounted on a magnet mount on the roof of the vehicle but its still works really well as a trunk mount. I point my vehicle in the direction to where I need with all directivity in that direction so the vehicle acts as one big directional GP.;

K9FE Rating: 5/5 Apr 16, 2012 07:40 Send this review to a friend
Good and solid  Time owned: more than 12 months
I ran the 7500 for 6 years and then I started having SWR issues (2.5:1). Well after 6 years of Chicago weather it did not surprise me. While down in Orlando I stopped at AES and replaced it. Put it on the car and everything was back to normal. I returned back to Illinois and was looking at the original 7500 and found the lower matching coil unscrewed from the upper antenna section. (below the hinge assembly) I unscrewed it and found an o-ring seal and corrosion on the tip of the contact point. Got out my trusted De-Oxit and cleaned the tip and the antenna contact point. Assembled it with some Corrosion-X hoping that it would prevent it from happening again. Antenna checks out beautifully now with a 1.15 SWR at 146.000. Now I have a spare.

My problem was I did not know about the contact that could be serviced. Diamond makes fine products and as I found out they can be serviced. Diamond has been very responsive in getting me replacement parts. The first 7500 was given to me after it when through a car wash and the owner forgot to remove it. Resembled a corkscrew after it came out. I e-mailed for a replacement rod and a center replacement coil for a different 7900. I had them withing a week and for a very fair price.

If you have problems with the fold-over folding at highway speeds AND you really do not need it to fold over I found that a 2 inch section of heat shrink tubing (1/2" size) will keep that from happening.

W9DPY Rating: 5/5 Sep 16, 2011 10:53 Send this review to a friend
Solid and capable  Time owned: more than 12 months
Was looking at a Comet CA-2x4SR to upgrade my ever expanding antenna collection. I have been running the Larsen 270 for convenience; as longer antennas drag on the parking garage at my work. In the end I threw back on my SG-7500NMO. I'm on my second one - the first one broke at the "tilt over". At first I was mad, but then realized I had the antenna 7 years and drove it through Chicago winters and Austin summers.

This antenna is great. I use the actual NMO version, mounted on a Diamond trunk lip mount. I have driven it with everything from a Kenwood TH-F6A to a full 50 watt Yaesu mobile. Always good signal strength reports. Did some "low tech" antenna testing between the 270 and the SG; with another ham 20 miles away. Reports were solidy in favor of the Diamond.

Lately, I have read reports of the quality of Diamond going down. I hope not - I have two of their mobile antennas, an X50 in the attic and three of their H/T antennas. All are great - so a 5 from me for this product.