Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | MixW RigExpert USB Transceiver Interface (Modem) Help

Reviews Summary for MixW RigExpert USB Transceiver Interface (Modem)
MixW RigExpert USB Transceiver Interface (Modem) Reviews: 48 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $199
Description: MixW RigExpert is a device for operating CW and digital modes using a personal computer with USB port. It provides transceiver audio interface, CAT interface for various transceiver models, FSK output, PTT and CW keyer functions, and built-in electronic CW keyer. By using a transceiver cable, MixW RigExpert is connected to the transceiver audio in/out, FSK, CW and CAT sockets. No additional interface boxes needed to connect the device to a transceiver. It frees up the computer sound card and COM port previously used to operate digital modes.
More info: http://www.rigexpert.net

You can write your own review of the MixW RigExpert USB Transceiver Interface (Modem).

N1IG Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2009 05:45 Send this review to a friend
Still working well  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had the RE for about 4-5 years now, after buying it to replace the rigblaster-pro. it was pretty easy to set up and worked very well. i had an intermittent issue with the cable from the unit to the radio, but a touch of solder fixed that. I had a computer crash which required me to re-install everything onto a replacement computer, and after only a little head scratching, i was able to get the unit up and running quickly. i have also run into the issue with it not playing well with other software programs (like HRD), but since i like the look of MixW better anyway, it's really a non-issue. I do wish that echolink would interface better, but oh well...

VE3ZPD Rating: 5/5 Dec 31, 2007 16:47 Send this review to a friend
Still running great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got one of the first units, used (circa 2003 or 2004), with USB connector on front panel, and it still runs great with MixW and N1MM (using REAUDIO). The noise floor is significantly lower as compared to internal compter's soundcard. Never had any issue with it.

KD2E Rating: 1/5 Sep 1, 2007 06:39 Send this review to a friend
Pass on this trash!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Notice how many reviews say "Glenn was able to walk me through the setup"?? That is because the product is, to say the least...not the easiest to get going. I HAD mine working (after several phone calls with Glenn) and if I made no changes to the computer, it may still be working. If you change USB ports it will require reconfiguring. It will not reload the driver if you use hardware control to remove. I have to manualy choose it as the soundcard EVERY time I start the software I am using. Now the rig goes into transmit the minute the software loads. The list goes on and on. I purchased a Tigertronics USB interface. Easy and solid...I'll be getting another, and the RigExpert is getting tossed in the trash can.

GILLIAM_LINEBERRY_EX_N4VOX Rating: 5/5 May 12, 2007 09:35 Send this review to a friend
Great Product  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I use my RigExpert with a Ten Tec Pegasus and had trouble interfacing the two units. I found that in the software that operates the Pegasus you must change the transmitter set up to key from the accesory outlet not the microphone. Once I did this, it works without fail. I love the Pegasus, but it can test your patience trying to set up new devices. RigExpert is a breeze, no jumpers.

G8WVW Rating: 4/5 Oct 13, 2006 07:27 Send this review to a friend
Very, very good but not perfect.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Been using MixW with homebrew interface for some time, so familiar with the software which is good but not perfect, and not part of this review.

Just a few very minor niggles with the RigExpert unit which I have already communicated to Constantine in the UK as follows:-

1) The set-up CD menu system buttons did not work on my PC and so I had to install the drivers manually. Not a problem for me but maybe for others.

2) The REaudio driver required if you are to use RigExpert with software other than MixW crashes (XP blue screen of death) immediately when I try to use Ham Radio Deluxe’s PSK software.

3) The connection cable was very well assembled with neat wiring and total lack of melted insulation. The DIN connectors where however of a lower qualify than I would have chosen myself. Good quality screened metal shelled plugs are not expensive these days.

I have an additional problem which is not a fault of RigExpert but could have been made a little clearer as I feel I bought the wrong connection cable. The connection cable for my IC-7400 (746PRO) uses both the accessory sockets. This has been necessary as Icom have not thought to include the VSEND line on the ACC1 socket. If you use an amplifier or tuner that requires the ‘band’ information from the ACC socket, then you need to make a compromise. Either manually switch the amplifier/tuner band or buy the IC-756 connection cable which only uses ACC1 and do without the digital modes on 2m. With a custom lead, modification to my amplifier lead and a couple of diodes, I can get it to work and really this is beyond the scope of what the Rig Expert cable supplier could be expected to do but any protective 7400/746 users please take note.

I repeat that these are very minor niggles and all-in-all, the RigExpert unit works very well.

Ian Coverdale
ZD8I, VP8DHW & G8WVW.

K4KGG Rating: 5/5 Sep 28, 2006 08:26 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Tech Support  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had this interface just a week, but am very favorably impressed with it. Setup and configuration is complicated for interface devices. I used a serial port connected Rigblaster in the past. Setup and configuration were a nightmare. As my new laptop has no serial port, and I couldn't make the serial port to USB adapter cable sold by the Rigblaster people work for me, I knew I needed a USB interface. I hesitated because I dreaded another setup and configuration experience, but bought the RigExpert after reading other users' satisfaction with tech support from Glenn for this product.
I bought the RigExpert SD. Documentation on this product, though useful, has not kept up with the newest products. I read and followed the instructions in the user's manual and the online reference, but couldn't get CAT to work. I called Glenn and he talked me through the setup and configuration. My interface is working properly now. If you buy this unit, call Glenn and have him talk you through the setup.
In the past I had used Digipan. I am very impressed with the features of the MixW software. Glenn walked me through some of them.
I look forward to exploring some of the digital modes beyond PSK31 and SSTV. I look forward to enjoying the integration of MixW with other programs.

Larry

KC0UXC Rating: 5/5 Sep 2, 2006 07:10 Send this review to a friend
Plug and Play!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had this for about a month and it has worked flawlessly. Load the software, plug it in to the back of your rig, plug it into your USB computer, make a contact. It's that easy!! Nice LED lights tell you its working in XMIT. My Yaesu 897D has had no problems with the RigExpert USB. Great product! The best part is that its powered THROUGH the USB.. One less power converter to mess with. 73!

4Z5PM Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2006 19:08 Send this review to a friend
MixW RigExpert perfect USB Transceiver Interface and CAT.  Time owned: more than 12 months
MixW RigExpert2 S/D perfect USB Transceiver Interface and CAT controle in One Box.

P.P.S. The information and free-of-charge technical support on a site www.mixw.co.uk

W0NAC Rating: 5/5 Jun 26, 2006 07:19 Send this review to a friend
RigExpert SD Interface  Time owned: months
I am a county hunter who works extensively from my mobile station on both SSB and PSK. I have been waiting for years for someone to come out with an interface that utilizes the new USB ports. During this wait I have struggled with serial ports and level interfaces. My mobile rig setup looked like an octopus with all the various cables strung everywhere. It was also very prone to EMI and RFI problems. The RigExpert SD has satisfied all my wishes and has enabled me to greatly simplify my mobile installation. I love it!

As others have noted, the manual leaves much to be desired and there are several inconsistencies between the manual and the quick start guide. I had to avail myself of technical support help several times before I finally got it working right, but Glenn really knows his stuff and was extremely helpful.

My mobile rig uses an ICOM 706 MKII transceiver driving an ALS-500M linear mobile. In order to control the linear, I had to get a special cable and a Y adapter cable to access the HSend output on the 706 to switch the linear on and off. Again, Glenn was very helpful in figuring out what I needed to get my rig working correctly.

I think most people will experience the most difficulty in coordinating the virtual com port with the MixW software settings, but once that is done, you will have an amazingly simple and intuitive setup. The final result is well worth the effort. The hardware furnished is first grade and I highly recommend it to anyone who needs an interface, especially for mobile operation.

W4OGV Rating: 5/5 Jun 12, 2006 19:19 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Product and Great Service.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had a RigExpert for a little over a year. I've used both MixW and Digipan software with it. I've used it on my Icom 706mkiig, my Yaesu 857D and just recently with my newly acquired Yaesu 817ND. It works great with all of them. A power surge took it out after about 8 months and Glenn's service was excellent. Later, when I had a problem reconnecting to one of my radios after a long time on a different one, Glenn walked me through the problem on the phone - even though the problem was that I had failed to connect one of the connectors! The product and the service are second to none!