Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | MixW RigExpert USB Transceiver Interface (Modem) Help

Reviews Summary for MixW RigExpert USB Transceiver Interface (Modem)
MixW RigExpert USB Transceiver Interface (Modem) Reviews: 48 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $199
Description: MixW RigExpert is a device for operating CW and digital modes using a personal computer with USB port. It provides transceiver audio interface, CAT interface for various transceiver models, FSK output, PTT and CW keyer functions, and built-in electronic CW keyer. By using a transceiver cable, MixW RigExpert is connected to the transceiver audio in/out, FSK, CW and CAT sockets. No additional interface boxes needed to connect the device to a transceiver. It frees up the computer sound card and COM port previously used to operate digital modes.
More info: http://www.rigexpert.net

You can write your own review of the MixW RigExpert USB Transceiver Interface (Modem).

N5VEI Rating: 5/5 Mar 20, 2006 07:21 Send this review to a friend
RigExpert MixW interface - Great product and Awesome customer s  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased a RigExpert a few months ago and just got around to installing it. Let me tell you.. It is the best decision I have made in years as far as buying equipment or interfaces. I purchased the RigExpert from www.rigexpert.com The customer service was great. I could not get the CAT features to work at first, so I called Glenn (W3GWW) the distributor and tech service guy. The problem was fixed in less than 10 minutes. While on the line.. he gave me lots of tips and advice on MixW which I never knew. I would recommend this product and distributor to anyone wanting to venture in digital or are looking for a bulletproof product.
Bill Richardson
N5VEI

W7EIT Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2006 12:49 Send this review to a friend
Only way to reduce the missery of multiple modes  Time owned: more than 12 months
Nick and the crew has done it again, Mixw and RigExpert make us all look like we are in the know. Learning curve is a little lumpy, but after that just go. We are fortunate to have Nick and the crew on our side.

K6XR Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2006 13:14 Send this review to a friend
use with most software  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
In reference to the last review, I have configured and use Rigxpert with the following software:
Mixw, digipan, echolink, ham radio deluxe both for cat control, rig controls, and psk31, and logging, Jvcomm32 (sstv), mmsstv, mmtty, rckrtty, xpware, dxlab winwarbler, and dxlab suite of programs. With dxlab, I can control my ts-2000 or ft-817ND, work all the digital modes, and log. I sometimes just use dxlab commander for rig control alone. all work flawlessly and well. It was not difficult to setup and use with these programs.

N9PCS Rating: 3/5 Mar 6, 2006 10:52 Send this review to a friend
Great with MixW, not great with other software  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
First if this was device was marketed strictly to work with MixW, then I would be giving it at least a four and probably a five. It works well with MixW and if MixW completely meets your CAT and digital mode needs then I heartily recommend the RigExpert. The RigExpert can be somewhat difficult to configure, but Glenn W3GWW is willing to help you set things up. Unfortunately "standard" tech support hours are M-F 10:00 am - 6:00 p.m. Eastern time. Fortunately Glenn is willing to work with you if you need to schedule another time to call.

The best thing about this device (and the main reason I purchased it) is I can easily move between a desktop PC at home and a laptop for portable operations, without having to futz with soundcard settings. I also had an older laptop which had a low quality internal soundcard that did not produce satisfactory results for PSK. With the RigExpert getting the soundcard function out of the PC, that laptop now works great for PSK.

Now for the down side...I use a Kenwood TS-B2000 (which is a "black box" TS-2000 with no front panel controls, all rig control must be done from
the PC). MixW works fine for changing frequencies and modes, but does not have any provisions for changing volume, squelch nor any of the dozens
of other controls found on today's typical HF transciever. Granted you could write MixW macros for all of the needed controls, but that would be
a daunting task. And when so much other excellent software already exists for rig control I did not want to re-invent the wheel. I generally use either Kenwood's ARCP-2000 or Ham Radio Deluxe software for rig control.

To use any non MixW software, the REaudio drivers must be installed. REaudio actually serves two functions: it creates a "virtual sound card" for
use with other programs like MMSSTV. It also creates a "virtual COM port" for use with other rig control programs like Ham Radio Deluxe. The
REaudio drivers are not needed with MixW. I was able to get CAT working with both ARCP-2000, and HRD through the RigExpert CAT port. But once
that is running, MixW will no longer run through the RigExpert.

I also attempted to use the RigExpert with HamPAL and digTRX. With HamPAL, I could see a signal in the waterfall, but it would never lock on a signal to decode. And when sending it would send audio, but those I was testing with told me that the tone frequency was just wrong and no one could decode what I was sending. I also discovered that with HamPal, while PTT would usually key the radio initially, often PTT would stay engaged even after the file was sent. I had to exit to HamPAL before the RigExpert would release PTT. With DigTrx I had similar results. I asked Tech Support and was told that while the RigExpert will work with other programs such as MMSSTV, that HamPAL and DigTRX were two that they had not yet been succesul getting to work with the RigExpert.

One thing I have not tested was whether the RigExpert will work with MMSSTV (for sound card functionality) and also HRD (for CAT unctionality simultaneously.

So after all this, am I still using the RigExpert? Yes, but I am not exactly taking advantage of all of it's features. the RigExpert does put out a very nice clean PSK signal and I consistently get good reports about how the PSK signal looks. I use MixW software and the RigExpert, for PSK31, MFSK, SSTV, RTTY, and even some CW. But I only use the sound card portion. I leave the RigExpert serial cable for CAT control disconnected, and purchased a generic USB<->serial adapter that I use with a separate serial cable for Ham Radio Deluxe for Rig control. For HamPAL, I have given up and now unplug the RigExpert from the transceiver and use the old BuxCom Rascal interface.

Before I purchased antother RIgExpert I would consider an external USB soundcard together with a more traditional soundcard interface. The RigExpert is great with MixW, and is easy to move between computers while giving consistent sound quality regardless of the PC's internal soundcard quality... But if you are wanting to use non MixW software, the challenges can be daunting.

N6UB Rating: 5/5 Mar 5, 2006 23:02 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Product, Excellent Support  Time owned: more than 12 months
Although I had purchased the RigExpert over one year ago from the Canadian distributor, and couldn't solve an installation problem at that time, I found out recently that Glenn at www.RigExpert.com was now selling and supporting the product in the U.S. He talked to me on the telephone and identified and solved the problems I was having. Excellent support by Glenn and I am now enjoying MixW using the RigExpert with an FT-847, with all features working as advertised.

K6XR Rating: 5/5 Mar 4, 2006 18:38 Send this review to a friend
great product and service  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I could not get up and running so called Glenn and he had me up and running in a moment. Works great with my ft-817ND and Ts-2000. I also have it configured for winwarbler, stream, and most other digital piece of software. All work flawlessly with the rigexpert. Miw software also great and easy to use. It is nice to to this all with just one cable, the usb cable to the computer!

W2WO Rating: 4/5 Feb 2, 2006 14:43 Send this review to a friend
HW good, doc bad  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Hardware works very well. MixW seems good, although I have not used all the modes. As others have noted, the documentation is very poor. Perhaps a few prizes are needed for "contributed" documentation, plus a web site that invites user-submitted updates related to particular rigs. It took me a while to get the various Orion settings right.

Bill W2WO

K1PGV Rating: 4/5 Feb 2, 2006 10:20 Send this review to a friend
Good Product, Great Support, Attrocious Documentation  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently bought a RigExpert (standard version) from www.rigexpert.com. I ordered on Sunday, I had it in my hands on Wednesday (via USPS priority mail). It came all nicely packaged, including a nice handwritten note from Glenn W3GWW -- The package even included the correct USB cable with a ferrite bead installed. Very good so far. I was impressed.

The software installation wasn't exactly straight-forward. In fact, it had me baffled -- and I write Windows device drivers *for a living.* The documentation is ATTROCIOUS. It's internally inconsistent: In the hard-copy "manual" provided it says to follow one procedure (with nice, attractive, detailed, pictures)-- but that procedure doesn't work at all. In a doc file found on the CD, it tells you to follow an entirely different procedure. That one SORT of works. It took me a while, but after a few visits to Windows Device Manager (and disabling the REAUDIO driver that's not used to support MIXW), and playing with MIXW's config settings, I successfully got MIXW to control my rig and open the RigExpert sound card port.

But I wasn't getting any audio from my TS-2000 into my computer. I was not happy.

Then I called Glenn for technical support. Glenn is one of the nicest, most helpful, folks you could hope to interact with. He had me, my TS-2000, my RigExpert, and MIXW all working together in harmony in no time. While on the phone, he showed me a few things in MIXW I didn't know about (I *had* used MIXW previously), and talked with me about alternate configration possibilities.

Now that my RigExpert is running, I'm copying all manner of digital "stuff" via MixW. Once you get the configuration right, the drivers seem stable. RigExpert and MIXW work great! I was happy once again.

So, in summary: The RigExpert is a good product. It's the RIGHT solution for connecting your computer to your radio. Glenn's support MAKES the product, though. It's "above and beyond" what you'd expect. Having said that, I also have to reiterate that the docs for this product are hideous. I can't imagine how ANYone can get it to work using the docs alone.

My advice to you? Buy a RigExpert. When you get it, open the box, take it out, and throw the printed docs away. Go sit next to your radio and your computer with your new RigExpert and USB cable, and get Glenn on the phone. You'll enjoy talking with him, and you'll save yourself a bunch of unnecessary frustration.

de Peter

K0AMZ Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2006 18:37 Send this review to a friend
New and Love it  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After a call to tech support (Glenn), I was up and running on a new FT-897D. Love the use and (fairly) easy setup. I was lacking a .dl and Glen found it and had me all set up. He even gave me some support on MixW questions that I had. I wish all companies were as supportive.

WB1DBY Rating: 5/5 Nov 20, 2005 14:44 Send this review to a friend
Simple to setup & use  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the RigExpert and 2 rig adapter cable sets. Loading the drivers and program were simple and easy. One usb cable goes between the computer and RigExpert. Then plug the rig cable in. Tune a signal and you're off. Unpacked to being in a qso was less than 20 minutes. I have interfaces and use it with a Kenwood TS-570DG and a Yaesu FT-897. Works great with both!
It performs great. The included MixW software is full featured and works in many modes. But the included is a 14 day demo that costs $50 to make work completely, but it is worth it.
I've been making qso's on PSK31, but have been listening with it on CW and soon other modes. It's nice to not have to use different software for each mode.
I'm very happy with the RigExpert and highly reccomend it.