Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Icom IC-R7000 Help

Reviews Summary for Icom IC-R7000
Icom IC-R7000 Reviews: 14 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $~900 (1986)
Description: 25 - 1000/ 1025 - 2000 MHz multimode communications receiver with 99 memory channels.
More info: http://www.w6trw.com/radio_history/Other/Icom/IC-R7000-1.jpg

You can write your own review of the Icom IC-R7000.

N4AEQ Rating: 3/5 Sep 18, 2012 07:36 Send this review to a friend
Good for it's time  Time owned: more than 12 months
I sold a AOR5000 to buy the R7000 and a Digital
voice apco25 scanner . I can't say enough about all my other Icom rigs, the 7000 may have been great in it's day but today it's average at best, even the
specs are average. I compared it to my Icom 706MK2g
granted the 706 in much newer, receive specs are better so I guess it should be better on weak signals. My BC9000XLT scanner also in better on 400
to 1000mhz. I like the Icom line but the r7000 didn't live up to all the hipe, maybe I was spoiled by having the AOR5000 before and it did cost over twice
the cost of the r7000. I guess you get what you pay for.

KC9MLA Rating: 5/5 Apr 24, 2010 20:50 Send this review to a friend
Still The Best Analog  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Icom IC-R7000 will live on forever. Yes cities are going to digital. Makes this radio more desireable in rural areas. Nothing out there except for the newer R8500 can come close to this. Plus the new R8500 has gaps in the frequency range. Plus $2000.00
The best thing going here is that this radio is still FIXABLE. Guys like Matt at Icom Michigan and Jack at Willcoe in Illinois will handle your problems. This receiver is the best in my book. Joe KC9MLA

KC0JLN Rating: 4/5 Nov 15, 2009 19:22 Send this review to a friend
My Modified Icom R 7000  Time owned: more than 12 months
I brought mine in 1989 I think .. I did the mods such as cell and a descrambler etcs.... great radio for it's time ...was a high price in those days, overall great radio !

K9PU Rating: 4/5 Oct 18, 2009 01:20 Send this review to a friend
Reliable  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this radio since new, sometime in the late 80's. Bought it as I had no hf antenna in an apartment but could get along with VHF/UHF indoor antenna. Used mostly to listen to public service bands as a scanner (although ICOM insisted it wasn't a "scanner", and, in fact, it didn't have the best scanner functions, slow scan rate, small memory size, scan delay bug). Many little problems could be fixed with an aftermarket program and there was a circuit "mod" for the scan rate improvement. But the radio just sang for years, contineous use, no airconditioning (in L.A. S.F.valley, 100F plus summers). Lots of action on LAPD frequencies back in the day, car thiefs, drug deals, shootings, car chases, helicopters, fires. Even more exciting when things happen in your block, behind your car, or in front of the apartment building (don't leave the apartment without listening to the scanner first, don't want to be shot at). Oh, and I listened to the ham freqs too, less exciting, needed the "f" filter, lots of activity though.

They have now gone to digital encoding (P25), oh well. And the TV option is obsolete too, HDTV. Still hams and fire though, just not as much activity, we are so much more civilized now, what price liberty?

Scott

KB7QND Rating: 5/5 Oct 17, 2009 19:48 Send this review to a friend
A Strong Performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased mine new in 1990 and still use it to this day. Its had no problems, no capacitor problems, no trimmer problems, no trips to Icom for service, and the original backup battery still works!!! Not bad for a radio that is now 19 years old.

It is wonderful for weak signal work. When I compare it to my Radio Shack scanner by swapping the radios out using the same feedline and antenna, the Icom can "hear" things the Radio Shack scanner can only dream of. For example, the Icom can hear the wireless mics from a local Burger King 4 miles away (all be it not very strong yet still somewhat intelligible)and the Radio Shack scanner doesn't even know the signal exists.

VE7AFZ Rating: 4/5 Jun 24, 2009 13:07 Send this review to a friend
Nice Receiver handles strong signals well  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I had an opportunity to purchase a clean, single owner (and lightly used) R7000 for a reasonable price. So far I'm happy with the radio. It has met my expectations with regards to selectivity, overload resistance and sensitivity. The only issue I have is that the back of the radio gets a bit hotter than I would like. A small fan placed behind the radio seems to have solved this problem.

K4RO Rating: 5/5 Apr 9, 2008 17:57 Send this review to a friend
Still working great after 20 years  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned an IC-R7000 since 1988. I've used the same radio and Icom discone antenna at various locations for twenty years. The gear still works great today. The build quality of the IC-R7000 is considerably above that of most consumer scanning radios.

The basic radio performance is very good for a "scanner." I found the some of the scan features to be very limited, and I was surprised at the lack of certain scanning functions. However, when hooked to a computer, the IC-R7000 is a very useful scanning tool. I use RadioMax software with a home brew computer interface.

Built to last, I expect the IC-R7000 will remain a useful VHF/UHF utility radio for years to come.

N4TSV Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2007 11:22 Send this review to a friend
Great receiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have three of these receivers and love them all.

They just work and work. Yes capacitors do go bad but what do you expect after 20 years. You absolutely can't go wrong with it.

One of mine is hooked to a discone on the roof and is alot of fun. The others are in the shack being used for weather decoding and some research on SDR radio.

K7SU Rating: 5/5 Apr 7, 2006 15:56 Send this review to a friend
I really LOVE the R-7000  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I picked up my R-7000 off Ebay a few weeks ago and have been having a ball with it ever since. In fact I was more active on the ham bands BEFORE I got the R-7000 so I've got to stop turning it on when I get into the shack and just go right to the ham bands because if I turn the R-7000 on first I find that I have too much fun to set it aside!

For a radio that is several years old it is still very functional and fun to use. I did find, like some other reviewers of this radio, that it got quite warm (hot actually!) after being left on for a time. I stopped by the electronics parts store and picked up a 50 CFM mini-fan, and hooked it up to the 12 volt internal power supply on the radio. Not wanting to drill holes in my "new" receiver, I neatly attached the fan with double-sided carpet tape directly over the ventilation slots on the back. Now I can leave it on for hours at a time and it remains cool to the touch. The fan made a BIG difference and for those who have not yet made that modification I highly recommend it as the constant heating and cooling of the radio may eventually cause problems.

I probably paid more than I should have for mine but hey....no one forced me to keep bidding! :>) And now that I have it, I forget about the price I paid whenever I turn it on and tune in to the action. The frequency coverage is from 25 mhz. to 999 mhz. then picks up again at 1.25 Ghz. and goes up to 2 Ghz with no other gaps. I've been able to download the software to pick up and decode the GOES weather satellites that transmit between 137 - 138 mhz to get a look at the weather! I have found that the radio is very sensitive and has picked up anything I want to hear.

Even though it is an "old" radio and no longer made, it is still very rugged and fun to use. It is somewhat heavy for its size (which I think is a GOOD thing) and seems to be well built. It is now proudly placed next to my ham rigs and I use it every day. If you have a chance to pick one up and are in to "listening", I think you will be very happy with this radio.

Kelly
www.K7SU.4t.com

K9KJM Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2005 01:08 Send this review to a friend
QUALITY  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my Icom R 7000 used when the IC R 7100 first came out, From a person who just had to have the latest........
The R7000 is a VHF/UHF receiver for the serious listener.......... It is not all that great for use as a "scanner" (The internal band select relay constantly clicks between VHF and UHF) as it scans....... But it does function well as a scanner if you understand that......
AND this radio will do a lot more than most simple scanners will....... It is one of the top choices for the SETI project ARGUS systems...
I really like my R7000 and have no plans to get rid of it. (I have been a real Icom fan over the years, Just do NOT buy one of those JUNK IC 2720's like I did! I "jumped ship" and got one of the great Yaesu FT 8800 radios that work great when I finally got rid of my junk 2720H....)