Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | MFJ 991 Autotuner Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ 991 Autotuner
MFJ 991 Autotuner Reviews: 3 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $$219.95
Description: The MFJ-991 150 Watt IntelliTuner automatic tuner is similiar to the MFJ-993 but handles 150 Watts SSB/100 Watts CW, matches 6-3200 Ohms. Does not have digital SWR/Wattmeter/LCD Display, aural SWR meter/audio feedback, antenna switch or 4:1 current balun for balanced lines.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-991

You can write your own review of the MFJ 991 Autotuner.

N8SUT Rating: 4/5 Jul 23, 2012 05:44 Send this review to a friend
Not bad for the price!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The tuner looks and works great. As is my Standard operating procedure with anything MFJ, I removed the top to take a look before connecting power or my equipment. I was impressed at the construction of the tuner. It really looked very good on the inside, but your mileage may vary here. I primarily bought this to use as a mobile tuner because I need something that will handle 200 watts from the ts-480hx, and it had a remote control panel, which was my main reason for purchase. The Remote, MFJ-993RC, is about the size of a pack of cigarettes, and is a nice accessory to allow remote mounting of the tuner itself. The remote interface was more stereotypical MFJ build--I.E. sloppy, crappy solder, but it worked. I touched up a couple solder joints on the remote just so I felt better, and all is well now. Unit works well and the remote control is a great feature. My plans changed a little and I'm not using it mobile. I still like being able to set the tuner high on a shelf and only have the tiny little remote box screwed in to the desk next to my rig. The tuner tunes quickly on my hustler btv-4, expanding its useable bandwidth. The memory is great and very quick. My only gripe is that it starts up in bypass mode after power on. That is a bit of a pain, but a fairly minor gripe. All in all, I am new to the automatic tuners, but I think this was a good purchase. I'm still kind of partial to manual tuners and don't mind a little fiddling, however, it is really cool to push a button, watch for the green light on the remote, and go. I will try to post again when the honeymoon is over but so far it is O.K.!

KJ4AQV Rating: 5/5 Jun 7, 2009 19:37 Send this review to a friend
Avery good tuner for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my first tuner that i ever had, it is a good unit paired with my icom 718 the only thing is the meter light went out and i have not fixed it yet, so if you find 1 buy it. 73 from kj4aqv

HR2PAC Rating: 4/5 Apr 23, 2005 22:14 Send this review to a friend
So far so good.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am only giving this tuner a 4 rating because I have only owned it for about 4 days now, today we tested it with a buddy ham of mine, I mean really teste it!! the only thing are the controls that on this particular can be a bit complicated as you have to use lots of button combinations and pay attention big time to the needles. As far as construction and price, excellent!! I got it for $219 at Gigaparts but I think AES has it for $199. Bottom line: if you want an automatic antenna tuner on a budget get this baby, oh by the way it only took 0.5 seconds to tune a dipole on 20 and 40 meters. I'll come back & update in the future.