Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Directional (Yagi, quad, etc.) | M2 2m9ssb Help

Reviews Summary for M2 2m9ssb
M2 2m9ssb Reviews: 19 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $125.00
Description: 144 MHz yagi
More info: http://www.m2inc.com/

You can write your own review of the M2 2m9ssb.

K4MSG Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2014 18:50 Send this review to a friend
UPDATE after 9 months  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
When I wrote my first review I had been using the 2M9SSB for only two (2) months. I am now in month eleven (11) of using this antenna for single-Yagi EME and my results include 63 initial QSOs in 52 grids and 24 countries on 3 continents. I have increased power from 160 watts at the antenna to about 300 watts and that has helped the success rate, but the antenna just sits outside and keeps working flawlessly regardless of rain, snow, ice, wind, or whatever. VSWR is extremely low and hasn't deteriorated at all except when the antenna iced up, and even that was not unmanageable.

Needless to say, I'm extremely pleased with my results. After I complete the 12th month of operation I plan to switch over to *TWO* of these antennas with a power divider, and I hope that the additional 2.5 or so dB of gain will allow me to "rachet up" my success rate on EME.

This antenna works - and in the final analysis, that's really all that matters.

W9VNE Rating: 5/5 Jul 22, 2012 03:12 Send this review to a friend
works better than expected  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought a pair of these antennas two years ago. I stacked them side by side at the suggested spacing. I have an elevation and azimuth control. Using 300 watts I was able to contact 50 different stations on 2 meter EME. They were horizontally polarized too. I worked 15 different European countries. These beams are well engineered and constructed in my opinion. There is value in this product.

W9VNE
Cincinnati, Ohio

VK3MH Rating: 5/5 Jan 3, 2011 19:39 Send this review to a friend
Very impressive  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the 2M9SSB in late 2010 to replace the Cushcraft 13B2 antenna as I was having trouble with working AE and also was not happy with the performance in general.

I started assembling the antenna and thought these elements are going to be a nightmare to install but they went together pretty easily.

After running some tests on the antenna with reference to the 13B2 and five of the local beacons up to 300KM away I can say that this antenna is an exceptional improvement over the 13B2. I also installed the SSB Electronics SP2000 preamp as well and that is great too.

I checked the VSWR on the ground and when the tower is up and it is 1:1. I can now get 700w plus out of my HL500v amp and it does not trip, it always tripped at 510w with the 13B2.

I am very happy with this antenna and would recommend it to someone looking for a small 2m SSB beam on a 14' boom.

73 Brendan VK3MH

WD4ELG Rating: 5/5 May 24, 2010 21:48 Send this review to a friend
Love it  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
For those of you who do not know (I did not know), M2 is the first initials of the owners of the company (husband and wife). The original M (husband) was the 'M' in KLM antennas. So M2 is a company that you can rely upon. Never mind the AWESOME customer service that I have received on every call to M2 (that alone gives it high marks!). Let's talk about the antennas themselves.

Designed for high gain in just over 2 wavelengths, the design is optimized with a single reflector and directors of varying length.

The antennas are designed for tropo, but can be used for EME (which is my goal). When I bought this model, I was looking for rugged and manageable antenna design, with enough gain so I could work the big guns on EME. I did a lot of research before purchase.

Well, I have not been disappointed, and I would do it again! I have two of these antennas, phased for 2 meter EME. Assembly could not be simpler. These antennas are rugged, built to last, and perform well. I have been amazed at what I hear on 2 meters EME with just two of these. My amp is on order, and I will be logging EME QSO's in the very near future. Thanks for a great buying experience.

N0TTW Rating: 5/5 Jan 26, 2009 16:37 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this antenna in '06. I've had excellent results and even got Florida on an Es opening in the summer of '07. Use it during contests and had excellent reports.

This antenna even took a 30' dive off a tower after an ice storm in early '07 when the mast broke (yes it had the mast weight as well). Straighten the elements and it was back up working just as well as before. Very rugged!

Assembly requires patience as the elements don't taper like most Yagis. Took an hour to assemble via the instructions.

It is on a 40' tower with other antennas and works great. I recommend this antenna for it's balance of wind-load, price and gain.

W4CX Rating: 5/5 Jul 14, 2007 20:16 Send this review to a friend
Excellent, with a few suggestions  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just completed building this gem, but not operating it yet..will do another review when it's QRV. Construction went smooth, if a little awkward as others have said. You do need to pay attention to the element length distribution because they're not tapered, and some elements differ by only 1/4". This is REAL important 'cause if you accidentally mis-mount an element after installing the keepers, you'll have a dickens of a time fixing it. I didn't need them, but thank you M2 for including spares of the grommets, keepers, and screws.

Three suggestions:
Instead of instructing the builder to "equalize the lengths of each element side of the boom", the manual should state what that actual lenght should be. I know...it's small stuff, but it makes a big difference in ease-of-construction to not have to do trial and error measurements between the two sides.

Second suggestion, if the boom to mast plate will accept both 2 1/2" and 2" U bolts, please INCLUDE the 2" U bolts in the package. The manual suggests they are included, but they were not in mine, and the parts list doesn't show them either.

Third suggestion, as said before, the 'N' connector is a very nice touch, but please DO include a male N connector or adaptor in the package. I didn't catch it in time and now must wait until I can find one and install on a coax cable.

I can't wait to try this out on the CQ VHF contest this weekend.

73, Darrell W4CX

WB2FKO Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2007 17:09 Send this review to a friend
Big punch from a small package  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been running a pair of horizontally stacked 2M9SSB's for several years and I am extremely pleased. You can see my setup here:

With this and a brick amp I have one of the biggest 2-m signals in the southwest USA (No, I did not say THE biggest signal!). My emphasis has been meteor scatter and best DX to date is just under 1200 miles. I've also worked a few big guns on EME moonrise. The antennas have survived sleet, snow, and gale-force winds without a complaint. Perfect size for my city lot.

2E1HKC Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2007 11:50 Send this review to a friend
Simply Great  Time owned: months
I have 2 X 2M9SSB's yag's up at 22 meters for about 1 year now and they work really well. I have had afew different 144mhz yagi up in my time, but M2 have beat them all. for the size of the yagi, it works great.

After a evening of contruction, both antenna's tuned up perfect. I am using a M2 power divider alongside the yagi's. I have just ordered 2 more 2M9SSB's to make a box of 4, so looking forward to seeing the results!

Good Work M2!

N5BO Rating: 5/5 Aug 20, 2006 08:10 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great antenna! Excellent for the size and easy to construct. I've made 8 EME QSO's in the last week. Antenna also does well on meteor scatter and tropo.

KE6MNG Rating: 5/5 May 14, 2006 19:31 Send this review to a friend
Good Construction  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Greetings......This my 4th M2 antenna.....I recently assembled the 2M7 Yagi so assembling the 2M9 was a snap.....It tuned up perfectly first time as usual....I use for portable mobile work so I break the boom down into its 3 sections quite regularly.....I just purchased a couple of no. 8 wing nuts to make it easy......The driven element blocks are good work & solid......Worth the extra dollars........73's..........Joe