Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | Astron RS-70M Help

Reviews Summary for Astron RS-70M
Astron RS-70M Reviews: 46 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $300
Description: Description: 57 amp cont. 70amp surge 13.8 vdc power supply with voltage and current meters.

You can write your own review of the Astron RS-70M.

WO2C Rating: 5/5 Dec 23, 2017 14:08 Send this review to a friend
Excellent, dependable  Time owned: more than 12 months
For over 5 years, my entire shack has been powered with an RS-70M and an RS-35M. Each has performed flawlessly providing more than sufficient power to rigs, amplifiers, and accessories with never an issue. I wouldn't part with either of these PS's.
N2MDV Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2017 09:49 Send this review to a friend
Great repeater power supply, and can power more than one.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought this power supply in the mid-1990's for high power VHF / UHF SSB work, and it can handle several 100W rigs keyed up with out any difficulty. Later, used this power supply to power two repeaters. With both of them keyed up in operation, this power supply doesn't even flex its muscles. The best part about this supply, I can replace every component (Except maybe that huge transformer.), myself and even make it better than factory specs. No hash and noise, being that this is a linear power supply. +20 years later, this is still a brute of a work horse. Even with more powerful switching power supplies out there now, this one is still a hard power supply to beat.
VE6AGE Rating: 5/5 Sep 27, 2015 11:22 Send this review to a friend
The Best  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've had mine for about 9 months now and I can tell that it's a great power supply. It does everything I need to do with it including power up my RM Italy HLA 150 Plus.
NC2P Rating: 5/5 Sep 27, 2015 08:26 Send this review to a friend
Rock Solid.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Almost bulletproof. I have an older RS-70M. After many years of service I decided to redo the heatsink compound. Glad I did. Had about 60% heatsink compound coverage. I cleaned up all 9 pass transistors, new 100% coverage compound and treated all the sockets with deoxit. This astron is for my ALS-500 amp, so I have set the output to 14.5 volts. The rest of the HF station runs off a RS-35A. No hash. Solid power.
W1WOW Rating: 5/5 Sep 4, 2014 05:23 Send this review to a friend
Yes - this IS the one you want...  Time owned: more than 12 months
Running a solid state amp? This is the power supply you want. Solid performer and zero hash... Do yourself a favor and look no further. Love it.
VA3LUK Rating: 5/5 Aug 2, 2014 19:01 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am very happy from this ps.
N6CMY Rating: 5/5 Jun 9, 2014 06:28 Send this review to a friend
Extremely well made.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I love Astron power supplies. They are built to last forever and if they break, you fix them. They are easy and fun to work on, and are a reminder of what “made in USA” once meant. This one I picked up cheap at the Dayton Hamvention a few weeks ago. It needed some work, new capacitors and LEDs in the meters. I also installed an IEC power socket on the back panel and an inrush current limiter between the power socket and the fuse holder. I recalibrated the meters and did some cosmetic improvements as well. Now it’s better than new and should easily last another twenty years.
KD4OBQ Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2014 04:49 Send this review to a friend
Robust  Time owned: more than 12 months
Been running the whole shack since 1990. Can't ever recall having any problem with it at all. No fans and built old school with no moving parts aside from the power switch. Rarely it ever gets shut down if I remember when a storm rolls through is about it. If there still built the same, one can't go wrong. Think I paid $250 for it back then new in the box from AES.
VE3MCA Rating: 5/5 Jan 22, 2013 10:46 Send this review to a friend
Great Power Supply  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have two of these power supplies for my Kenwood TS-480HX (200 watt) HF Rig and also connect pretty much everything else to these power supplies that I want to with worrying about going beyond their capabilities.

Astron RS-70M Power supplies are robust, rugged and quiet.

Only problem I had was one of the lights burnt out on the meter, but that can get replaced easily. Idea - maybe LED lights for the new power supplies coming out.

I have had these power supplies for over 4 years and they have been used almost everyday for HF Rig, VHF amps, VHF/UHF Radios, fans, and other aux. items.

Make sure when looking for a new power supply, you get more than you need in terms of Amps/Power. You need room to play with, the more room to play with the better (to a point). Unit will not overheat, be over used or taxed to the point where parts start to break down prematurely.

So do your homework and make sure you have a PS with the capbility and some extra room to allow for possible addition of extras while ensuring the PS is not over used.

I'd buy more Astron products when the need arises.
W9PMZ Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2013 03:58 Send this review to a friend
newbies buy this now!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had this supply now for a month.

Do yourself a favor and get this supply strait away. Then you won't have to buy intermediate steps to 70a.

Sitting over in the corner quiet and happy. These Astrons run forever and relatively trouble free. Did have an RS-20 that blew a LM723 but that was an easy fix (why Astron doesn't use an IC socket here I don't know).