Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | Astron RS-70M Help

Reviews Summary for Astron RS-70M
Astron RS-70M Reviews: 41 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $300
Description: Description: 57 amp cont. 70amp surge 13.8 vdc power supply with voltage and current meters.
More info: http://astroncorp.com

You can write your own review of the Astron RS-70M.

VK2AAA Rating: 5/5 May 11, 2011 18:13 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had this power supply for a few months now, coupled to an 8 way RigRunner and converted all shack items to Anderson Powerpoles. I got tired of having multiple small supplies so sprang for this big heavy guy. This is a great traditional linear supply. The transformer hums a bit loudly at times but that might be because I have the 240V 50Hz version, not sure. Built like a tank and I've never heard the fan come on at all.

K3ROJ Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2010 18:16 Send this review to a friend
Old Workhorse Indeed  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used this supply in my work shack for 10 years but recently bought a Tokyo 2 meter amplifier HL-350VDX. I now have it upstairs in the Den (shack) and ran an additional power line to a new 20 amp breaker which doesn't trip like the older breaker did each time I turned it on. This amp requires 48 to 55 Amperes depending on power out. No problem running 350 watts on 2 meters, all modes. I have 3 more smaller Astrons with meters and never a problem.

KE9K Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2010 07:25 Send this review to a friend
BRUTE FORCE !!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
16 years of flawless service. It is a real workhorse. joe ke9k

VE7IG Rating: 5/5 Aug 19, 2009 05:55 Send this review to a friend
A very good power supply.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using this as my main station power supply for several years. It is left on most of the time with no problems--- the load current is fairly low. I do run two RS20A's in series with it to give me ~44 volts to run a 400 watt Down East Microwave 6 metre amp but at that voltage the current is still low. The heavy beast just sits there and runs! These Astron power supplies are great and there is NO receiver noise that you will experience with many light weight switching supplies.

W6RTW Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2009 19:58 Send this review to a friend
Power to Spare  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got this power supply to drive an SO2R station consisting of an Icom 756 Pro 2 and a Pro 3. I have never had a problem with the supply, both power-wise and smell-wise. LOL This supply just sits in a corner and I have never turned it off with the exception of a few power failures here in the city. Voltage and regulation are solid and unchanging. It is also quiet, more so than even the Icom PS125 switching supply. It certainly is a heavy beast. I don't need to worry about it moving around in an earthquake.
Bob - W6RTW

VE6CPP Rating: 5/5 Sep 17, 2008 09:16 Send this review to a friend
A Lotta Punch  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have a'New to Me' RS-70M.. using it to run WSJT EME at 100% Duty Cycle to Power a 300W Mirage.. Shows it draws anywhere from 58 to 62A on TX.. My only concern.. the Fan dont start up.. seems to run a Lil Hot! So I added an external fan to it..Hope it Helps! Anyone know 'How Hot' these should get before the fan kicks in?
Jerry VE6CPP

W4KVW Rating: 5/5 Jun 25, 2008 10:08 Send this review to a friend
GREAT SUPPLY  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had the RS-70M for about 5 years with ZERO issues.I bought it from another local ham who got out of ham radio & he used it for about 6 years before me with ZERO issues.GREAT supply that runs EVERYTHING on my desk with PLENTY of room to spare.I sold my ASTRON RS-50M to buy the RS-70M & had ZERO issues with it as well.In the 14 plus years I have been a ham I have NEVER had an issue with an ASTRON power supply! }:>)

W9VNE Rating: 5/5 Mar 2, 2008 08:24 Send this review to a friend
works as advertised  Time owned: more than 12 months
I read all of the prior reviews . . . . almost everyone seems to agree that it works as advertised . . . those who down rate it and who have problems are in the minority . . . i have the 220 volt version . . . i have 2 of them and they are run in parallel to power a solid state amp (Hercules II). I can get 70 amps out of either but with 2 in parallel i do not push either one . . . I also have a 20 and 50 amp versions which i have owned for years (decades) with no real problems to report .. i have been a ham for 55 years so i have some experience with ham gear

W4HEY Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2006 06:31 Send this review to a friend
Odor-Free!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been running my RS-70M for a week now, powering 2 solid-state amps with no problems whatsoever. Apparently they worked out the odor issue previously mentioned and it seems that they added inrush protection as well -- no thud at start-up. Nice power supply, albeit heavy as [and built like] a tank!

WV4I Rating: 5/5 Aug 13, 2006 06:16 Send this review to a friend
Works FB.....  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased new. Works FB right out of box. Best price I could find was $280 plus $15 shipping. Ship weight is upwards of 50 pounds. Shows approx 50a running my also new TE systems 1452G amp, 15in/400out. Exciter is on separate power supply. So far, no smells or popped breakers, running on 120vac, 15a house cicuit, and notice unit is fused at 12a on ac input side. Included schematic dated 1997 does not show any inrush current protection. You'll need #6 gauge wire and lugs for unit's 1/4" terminals (lugs were included with mine). Only other comment is that power out terminals are both exposed, and safety would be enhanced with some type of protective covering. I've had other Astron amps and suspect this one also will last a long time.