Reviews Categories | Microphones | ICOM SM-20 microphone Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM SM-20 microphone
ICOM SM-20 microphone Reviews: 70 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $259
Description: Unidirectional, electret microphone w/up/down switches
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com

You can write your own review of the ICOM SM-20 microphone.

DL7ISA Rating: 3/5 Apr 13, 2011 21:41 Send this review to a friend
Missing Treble  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Audio Volume is low even the Level on the Mic is put to the Max. and I have to use the Compressor on my IC-746 to get the maximum RF Output.

The Audioquality with this Mic misses some Treble, although I have set on the IC-746 the SSB TX Tone to +20 (maximum Treble). The "Low-Cut" is not meant to add more Treble on the Treble there already is but more Treble is what this Mic is missing, at least the SM-20 I got new. I'm glad I didn't get any Report by now that I was sounding muffled. My old Turner Plus Three Desktop Mic was much better, I'm not convinced of the SM-20.

N1EE Rating: 5/5 Apr 5, 2011 21:26 Send this review to a friend
The Best  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been admiring my fellow rag chewers mics. The best sounding mics have been the Icom's. Most have SM-8's and a few have SM-20's. I thought the SM-20 sounded a little better, and I found the styling to be the nicest looking.

I tried a Kenwood desk mic, it was attractive but sounded horrible. It was easy to do the ICOM mod to make all the buttons work, but I still did not like it.

The SM-20 Mic is not detachable, but I have a little stand to put it at the right height and distance. It would be nice to put it on a boom. I may modify it for that at some point. I like the lock button, so I can relax and rag chew without touching the mic. A few times I hit the down button by mistake, but learned quickly to be careful to avoid it.

I had been using an Icom 706 for my base rig, and the hand mic was a piece of crap. I upgraded that, but at the same time bought this mic. I've been very pleased with it. While the hand mic drew lots of negative comments, no one has found fault with my SM-20. When I'm a distance from the mic, it does pay to turn up the mic gain. I turned off the low cut and it did not seem to make much of a difference.

Of course you never hear yourself, mic reports come from other people, however, even my fussy friends found no fault with this mic.

I bought this used for $130, and was hoping to get it for less. These mic's are extremely popular, they don't sell cheap and if you pick one up used, you will be able to get your money back out of it.

The one problem I found was the UP button was not working. I disassembled the mic--10 phillups screws and found one of the momentary switches was unreliable. I'll be taking it apart and spraying it with contact cleaner. If that doesn't work, it looks like a very easy solder job to replace the switch.

Overall I rate this mic excellent. I would not consider any other mic except possibly the new SM-50--priced at $300--it is more than I'm wiling to pay.

If you see an SM-20 for under $130 grab it, you won't regret it, and if you by some miracle do regret it, you will get your money back in seconds reselling it.

I would not part with this microphone ever. When I am a silent key this will passed on, not until then.

MM3XXW Rating: 5/5 Mar 27, 2011 09:04 Send this review to a friend
Excellent .......  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Tried one or several mics on my IC-756 before I came to settle on the SM-20.

To say it's a 'perfect match' is maybe a bit strong however it's as near as dammit so I'm a happy bunny!
Looks good, feels good, add a 'pop' filter and u're good to go!
It's been mentioned already about the "plasticy" look & feel to the UP/DOWN/LOCK/PTT buttons and for the most part I agree but it doesn't take away from the performance of the mic itself so I'm happy enough to oversee that little mistake on the part of Icom.

Decent mic that you simply cannot be disappointed with.

NA9DH Rating: 5/5 Oct 8, 2010 18:37 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic mic  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Bought this mic with an IC 7200. Get many unsolicited reports of fb audio. I did turn the low cut switch on the bottom to "ON". After playing with the mic gain pot on the mic and rig a bit I was ready to go. GREAT mic

VK3HOT Rating: 5/5 Sep 15, 2010 20:30 Send this review to a friend
Great Mic  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have two SM-20 mics one on my Icom 718 with W2IHY 8 band and EQ plus and always get great audio reports. The other is on a mint IC 735 which I mostly use on 10m FM but occasionally on SSB, the mic works great on this old rig as well.

I also have an SM -6 which I have used on both rigs and on an IC 208H V/UHF rig at various times and find it's twin lead and switching ability a bonus. I would recommend the SM 20, I added a foam microphone windscreen to both the 20's (paid about $5.00 for a pack of 6) with no degredation to sound quality.

KD8MJR Rating: 5/5 Sep 15, 2010 15:56 Send this review to a friend
It's Just about Perfect/  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Tried a few Mic's and this one is the Best for My Icom Pro3. People go out of their way to ask me what kind of Mic Im using, all Audio reports are great and the real Bonus with this Mic is that changing setting in the Icom Radio with this Mic attached actualy do make a serious difference!

How many time does a guy say Ok I am changing this, how do I sound? Most Hams try to pickup either the very slight difference or just cringe because the Audio goes from a less than optimum tone to another less than perfect tone.

With The SM-20 almost any Bass, Treble or Mic Gain setting sounds good and each is distinctly different from the next. You can go from sounding High pitched to nice and bassy while always sounding clean and crisp. Of course this is a SM-20 hooked to an IC-756 or another Icom Radio, so Icom to Icom this Mic is a 100% no Brainer.

Mic looks great, it's small and sleek, well built and very expensive! If you can afford one, get one, you will never want to use another Mic on your Icom.

KR4J Rating: 5/5 Aug 12, 2010 10:38 Send this review to a friend
Great Reports  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the SM-20 last week, in like new condition to use with my IC - 718. All signal reports have been great with comments on how nice my audio sounds. Reports when compared with the hand mike that came with the radio are like night and day. No more tinny sound. I run it at about mid-range mike gain with no real change from the hand mike setting. Great item and at less than 50% cost of the retail. So far, I am very satisfied.

KH6DC Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2010 21:14 Send this review to a friend
14+ Years and Counting  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well, I got this mic back in 1996 and I always get great audio like a professional studio type microphone. I usally switch back and forth between my Heil Pro-Set Plus because of the headset and built in mic but I may just use a good 'ol headphones and keep the SM-20 permanently on my 756 Pro II.

N8DRC Rating: 5/5 May 29, 2010 11:33 Send this review to a friend
Great Mic  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Bought the mic new, haven't had any problems and get great audio reports with it..Use is with a Icom-718 rig not regrets here..

KC8Y Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2010 04:33 Send this review to a friend
great mic  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this mic NEW a few years ago...use it with my IC-736 xcvr...always get excellent audio reports on every band I use it on... Wish they had a rating HIGHER than 5, I would give it a 5+