Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Icom IC-3200A Help

Reviews Summary for Icom IC-3200A
Icom IC-3200A Reviews: 12 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $$120
Description: Dual Band Radio 2M~70CM

You can write your own review of the Icom IC-3200A.

K7VO Rating: 4/5 Sep 14, 2004 01:06 Send this review to a friend
Good older rig, excellent value on used market  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
When I started downgrading my shack a few months ago due to some financial difficulties I sold my Icom IC-901A and looked for an inexpensive dual bander. I found an IC-3200A on eBay and got it at a very reasonable price. My experience has been a positive one.

The Icom IC-3200A dates from the mid to late '80s and was Icom's first dual band mobile. It's of the same generation as the Icom IC-28A/H, IC-38A, IC-48A, and IC-1200 monobanders. If you like those rigs you will probably like the IC-3200A. The rig is pretty long and you need a fairly deep space into which to mount it. I had to mount mine on the side of the console in my 2001 Hyundai instead of in the console as I might have done with a smaller rig.

Output power is 25W per band. The radio covers the 2m and 440 bands and can be converted to 430-440MHz with a simple mod. It cannot, however, cover anything more than 10MHz at 70cm at a time and has very limited out of band capability on 2m. If you need to receive NOAA weather broadcasts forget this radio.

There are only 10 memories. That's not 10 per band, mind you. The total number is 10 for both bands and the "CALL" channels count in that 10. This can be somewhat limiting. The radio always comes on in VFO mode regardless of whether or not it was in memory mode when you switched it off. There are two VFOs: VFO A is always for 2m and VFO B is always for 70cm. Changing which band is in which, or having both on one band, is not possible. The radio does not have dual display. The frequency you are on is what you see, period. You can scan the memories or one band. You cannot scan both bands. All these limitations are a function of the age of the rig. You get what you pay for, right?

The display is a backlit LCD. It's clear and readable in most lighting and at most angles. Receive and transmit audio are both good. The receiver sensitivity and selectivity seem to be fine and the radio is not particularly intermod prone, a huge plus and a major reason for recommending this rig.

A CTCSS (PL) tone encoder is standard on this radio. There is no provision for tone decode -- this radio cannot do tone squelch. Different PL tones can be stored for each memory and each VFO. However, there is a "tone number" for each possible frequency. For example, a tone of 100.0Hz is tone number 12. You basically have to have a very good memory or keep the manual handy to dial up a different tone that wat you currently have set.

You can change the offset for each VFO and each memory channel independently, which is handy in areas where there is a repeater with an odd split. There is also a Priority function which allows you to monitor one frequency while working another.

All in all this was a very advanced rig in its day and it is a durable performer with a good receiver. By today's standards its functions are limited and somewhat awkward. If you can live with that you'll enjoy the rig. It's certainly worth what I paid for it.

KD3GM Rating: 4/5 Sep 11, 2004 20:35 Send this review to a friend
Good Value  Time owned: more than 12 months
I picked up this rig shortly after I upgraded my ticket to Advanced back in 1993 at a local hamfest from a dealer. It was slightly used and as soon as I got it home, the SO239 pigtail connector came loose inside the rig and I had to return it for repair. That one feature is the only thing that detracts from the rig! Other than that I have beat the living #@%$! out of this radio and it still keeps on playing. To date, I have never seen another one being sold anywhere, even Ebay. I am quite happy with this rig.