Reviews Categories | Microphone Equalizers & Transmit Audio Accessories | Behringer DEQ2496 Ultra Curve Pro Help

Reviews Summary for Behringer DEQ2496 Ultra Curve Pro
Behringer DEQ2496 Ultra Curve Pro Reviews: 13 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $380.00
Description: High resolution processor for all EQ, Real Time Analysis and dynamic applications. Contains Graphic, 10-band Parametric and 31-band Dynamic EQ fuctions plus Compressor/Expander capabilities all in one box with Real Time Analysis and display of input/output signals.
More info: http://behringer.com

You can write your own review of the Behringer DEQ2496 Ultra Curve Pro.

W5RHR Rating: 5/5 Jun 10, 2012 19:24 Send this review to a friend
great 4 the price  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
there is a free editor out there to edit from your PC (sorry MAC).Save profiles.

Behringer is cheap , and yes you take your chances with QC, but send it back if its broke and get another. I Googled for the best price $274 from an unknown retailer, and took a while since they drop shipped from CA , they are located in Texas.

Using it with the settings from NU9Ns page.in a rack with a Heil PR40 and other Behringer and Presonus and Aphex stuff.

Look around, find the best price and get one for ESSB.

KC2RGW Rating: 0/5 Mar 26, 2011 11:17 Send this review to a friend
Like lemonade? This may be the unit for you :-)  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
So the features of this unit are really really nice. The EQ options are just not comparable to anything else on the market until you get into the $4k price point.

Oddly there is nothing else out there that allows for storing multiple EQ profiles. My entire use for this was to save profiles for Rig1 FM, Rig1 SSB, Rig2 FM, Rig3 SSB etc. This way with my shared mic, I could just poke the profile and away I'd go.

Only one problem...I couldn't get a unit that actually worked. I ordered new from Guitarcenter (whose customer svc was fantastic to deal with). The first unit I got, I programmed up and got flying in maybe 20 minutes, hit 'save' on my first dialed in profile and the unit bricked. CPU or firmware issue is what I expect as it was powered up but boot looping in the firmware, never came back.

I exchanged that one, after a wait on back order, a new shipment came in and I got unit number 2.

I set up multiple profiles, had it dialed in really nicely where I couldn't really tell a big difference in audio on FM between a TS-2000 and an FT-8800R. This was impressive as they have drastically different front-end circuits so the EQ profiles were very very different.

Had it all buttoned up, two days later the display died on the unit. Powered up, lit up, even worked if I ran the controls 'blind', but no display.

I got fed up and sent it back for a return. I just couldn't risk another unit that would possibly last just out of the warranty window.

It's an amazing tool for all it does, but geeze Behringer, you were always cheap, but it sure seems your quality has dropped off over the last 10yrs.

N4BFD Rating: 5/5 Oct 6, 2009 03:57 Send this review to a friend
Simply Excellent.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had the DEQ-2496 for about a year and a half now and decided it was time for a review.

I really can't say enough good things about the DEQ2496 that has not already been said. You will not find more for the money than what you get in this box, it is amazing. I currently run the parametric EQ, Dynamic EQ, and the Downward Expander on this box, and it sounds great. There is a steep learning curve in that you don't have simple knobs to twist for settings, but multiple menus to navigate through and setup. However, it's not all bad, and most of it you only need to go through once, with some occasional tweaking.

I highly suggest using NU9N's website to help set up the DEQ2496, he and Tyler, KA0KA came up with some great starting points for standard and essb audio. A little tweaking from there will make about any mic sound great.

I currently run the DEQ2496 with a Flex3000, and consistently get people asking me what I am running and giving great unsolicited audio reports. The most valuable feature I to me on the DEQ2496 is the downward expander. It really saves the day with knocking back the computer, Flex, and Amp fan noise in the back ground that the Condenser mic picks up so easily. With the DEQ2496 on, there is absolute silence between words.

N2QQF Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2009 08:11 Send this review to a friend
Great Product  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well I can't say enough about this product. The EQ is great and has a lot of features. I will say this EQ is not for the newbie. You need to have a little bit of understanding of what a Parametric EQ and Graphic EQ do and how they work. there are also DEQ, DYN, FBD and a flurry of other features that require a bit of knowledge or time to setup and it will take time to make it work properly. The end result is certainly well worth the money and time needed to setup.

The W2IHY equipment is good stuff and makes you sound great but the next level up is certainly more expensive and will require this type of equipment.

KX2V Rating: 5/5 Dec 22, 2008 05:45 Send this review to a friend
Good unit  Time owned: more than 12 months
Setting up this EQ can be a chore.
But if you take alittle time you can & will find good setup configurations that have allready be done by fellow hams like NU9N,W3OZ & KC4PE to name a few..
It has been a mainstay in the shack for atleast 4 yrs.
It's a great addition to the shack.
I have NEVER had a problem whith this EQ..

W2IHY gear is good entry level gear but if your serious about audio then the IHY doesn't come close to this EQ!!!

JT
KX2V

IW1QN Rating: 5/5 Nov 19, 2007 17:12 Send this review to a friend
Beautiful Works  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The UltraCurve DEQ2496 is dedicated for studio recording.
I buy DEQ2496 and I use in my Shack with my Equipment.

HeilSound GM4 -->VX2496 --Digi XLR AES-->DEQ2496 -->HomeMade Isolated Interface -->Icom Ic-756 ProIII

Very Beautiful with a good and Excellent modulation.

If you go on this site:

Now, only In the Italian section, You can see my isolated interface, especially:

Works very well and with little money you made an interface isolated like the IBox interface.

WR1H Rating: 1/5 Jul 28, 2006 12:04 Send this review to a friend
Quality is not there  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Unit is very very poor quality.

As the saying goes: "You can't get something for nothing !"

Obviously quality of compoenents inside this units is its bigest flaw. When the unit worked it worked well, but I, like many other said "This is a great unit ! What are all these other idiots complaining about ?"

Well, 2 months later I found out. Unit is dead and I am struggling to get it replaced under waranty.

Please look elsewhere for longevity.

VE7RF Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2006 14:27 Send this review to a friend
Best Digital EQ... period... End of story !  Time owned: more than 12 months

### from the previous reviewer.

"The long and the short of it.
Save you money and trouble get an W2IHY 8 band EQ

### IMO, the IHY boxes (both of em) leave a lot to be desired. Just feed a function gen into em... then measure the gawd awfull THD/IMD on a HP distortion analyzer.

and a Good 600 ohm Mic.
### Nobody uses 600 ohm mics. Studio/broadcast mics are all 50-150 ohms. These days, we are after max V transfer... Not max pwr transfer.... hence the mismatched Z's between rack gear. Output Z's are always low... input z's, are always high.

It might cost you a little more but, it's very user friendly.
## It should be. How much simpler can u get... with only 8 sliders to fool with.

### to do what??? Tell u how to plug it in ?? If one reads the excellent IHY manual's.... and still can't figure it out..... you have no business owning ouboard audio gear.

The manual? You need to dig, dig, dig to get information; a set up example would be nice ~ not having to go to some audio guru's web site for answers and try to sound like him....
### NU9N's site is excellent. 90% of the time.... one person's EQ settings will never work for someone else.... UNLESS, you both have similar voices... same mic.. same xcvr.

### Nonsense..... we all just re-read the manual.... it's up to the end user to tweak, and tweak... till he gets the desired sound.

#### The DEQ-2496 is superb... the best Digital EQ out there... and a steal at $249.00. The 24 bit, 96 khz sample rate audio.. is cleaner than ur 16 bit, 44.1 khz CD's inyour living room. It also comes with a RTA... which can be used PRE- or post EQ... use IT. Look at the raw audio going into the RTA... then you have a reference point to start tweaking. Then toggle pre/post EQ. The RTA can also be used on RX.

### I simply plugged in a PAIR of 6 khz INRAD filters into BOTH of my new 1000-MP-MK-V xcvr's. Inrad # 710-B.... + 707-C.

### The 2496 can be used to chop off the audio to any upper freq.. restricting BW... like 3 khz... 3.5 khz.... 4 khz... 5 khz etc. We do this by double stacking the parametric filters. The latest software ver also has hp/lp filters.

### Download the manual from Behringer's site.

ALL the MK-V ESSB mods will soon be on the WZ5Q.com website. ... stay tuned.

later... Jim VE7RF

KE4EX Rating: 1/5 Jan 15, 2006 08:46 Send this review to a friend
NAW Not Worth It  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The long and the short of it.
Save you money and trouble get an W2IHY 8 band EQ and a Good 600 ohm Mic. It might cost you a little more but, it's very user friendly. Unlike Behinger, Mr. Jones Will call you back. He Will give you instant service. He Will work with you.

Those that do well with audio outboard EQ stuff have music or audio background experience. Additionally, they most likly have pulled a filter and added a wider one; butchering a nice radio.
SAVE YOUR TROUBLE AND MONEY.

SK Rating: 2/5 Aug 6, 2005 23:35 Send this review to a friend
Not reliable  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own two of these units. The first broke around 6-9 months of use, the second is breaking now, about 15 months after purchasing new.

When they work, these are very good units. Lots of usable features and fairly intuitive to program once you get the hang of it. But after having two out of two go bad, I have to conclude these units have long term problems and therefore they are junk if reliability is an issue. The first unit developed an intermittent sound loss. The second unit shuts down after getting warm and goes into limp or by-pass mode. Both are permanent installations (non-mobile) in non-smoking, conditioned (AC and heat) equipment rooms; firmware on both is 1.2B. My old & featureless Rane gear has never given me an ounce of trouble--I'm going 100% Rane for EQs.