Reviews Categories | SWR & Wattmeters & Dummy Loads | Ameritron ADL-2500 Help

Reviews Summary for Ameritron ADL-2500
Ameritron ADL-2500 Reviews: 4 Average rating: 3.3/5 MSRP: $199.95
Description: 2500 Watt Dry Dummy Load w/ Cooling Fan
More info: http://www.ameritron.com/ameritron/products.php?prodid=ADL-2500

You can write your own review of the Ameritron ADL-2500.

NY6C Rating: 4/5 Apr 19, 2012 21:22 Send this review to a friend
Does the job  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It does what I need. I can tune my Alpha 8100 with no problems. You have to take the cover off and put in the large resistors...no big deal. I'd give it a '5' rating but it would be nice if they added a switch to turn the internal fan on and off. I have to plug in the DC supply cord every time I want to tune...that leaves a cord dangling here on the desktop. All in all - it's a decent value for the money.

N6KYS Rating: 5/5 Aug 23, 2007 22:23 Send this review to a friend
Fine dummy load!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Can't relate to the problems below, because I've had nothing but good luck with mine. Seems well made, no problems at all. Loads up to a nice 50 ohm resistive load and stays cool. Nice item.

PE1HZG Rating: 4/5 May 18, 2005 14:26 Send this review to a friend
OK unit, some assembly req'd  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Like the previous poster, on my unit the screws were extremely tight. I believe this is because of an unfortunate interaction between the steel screws and the aluminium thread busses of the enclosure. Air humidity (shipping?) probably contributed.

So, this is what I did:
- Get a really, really good fitting screwdriver
- Bang the screwdriver a few times on the head with a block of wood before turning the screws - this will destroy the chemical bonding between screw and enclosure.

Unfortunately, I stripped one of the screws too, and I used some careful drilling (start with a small drill, then use incrementally larger ones), and I was able to remove the screw w/o damaging the threads in the bus.

I have been in contact with MFJ and they're sending new screws, as USA-gauge screws are difficult to get in Europe.
They are also reviewing the problem and may make changes to prevent this problem in the future.

I can't generate enough RF (yet) to justify this dummy load, so I did some resistance tests and tested the load with DC, and all seems well.
I'm happy with the unit and look forward to exercise a pair of 3-500's with the 2500 as load.

NI1N Rating: 0/5 Dec 11, 2003 01:50 Send this review to a friend
2 months and still can't use it  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered the ADL-2500 a little over 2 months ago from AES. Some assembly is required; the large resistors have to be put inside the unit. To do that, you have to remove a few screws in the cover. One of the screws was way too tight; I could not remove it and it ended up stripping the head of the screw. I called AES, thinking they would exhange it for another. After all, I had just received it less than an hour before I called and it had never been used. But, AES told me I had to contact Ameritron and return it to them for repairs. I called Ameritron and they arranged for UPS to pick it up. That was 8 weeks ago and it was the last I saw of my $200 dummy load. I give this product and Ameritron's service a big fat 0.

If I were rating AES, they wouldn't get much of a score from me on this one either; with a brand new product that was never able to be used they should have made life a little easier for their customer and dealt with the exchange themselves.