Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Cobra UltraLite Multiband Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Cobra UltraLite Multiband Antenna
Cobra UltraLite Multiband Antenna Reviews: 132 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $89.95
Description: A complete 10-160 wire antenna constructed to handle extreme weather

You can write your own review of the Cobra UltraLite Multiband Antenna.

W4SKB Rating: 5/5 Sep 15, 2015 10:22 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had the Cobra Ultra-Lite Senior up for several years now and it is the best antenna I have ever used. Other antennas compared against include an 80-meter full-wave loop at about 40 feet, 40-meter dipole at 35 feet, B&W TFD at 30 feet, trap vertical.

I highly recommend this antenna, just spend the extra money and get the senior model.
AB3ME Rating: 3/5 Jun 13, 2015 18:01 Send this review to a friend
not durable  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had a cobra ultralight up at 50 feet at my new home for two years. It has worked wonderfully, except lately, I am not able to tune 75 meters at all. It tunes up just fine on all bands other than 75 and of course 160. I reasoned that because the other bands tune fine, there must be a bad crimp on the last leg of the wire on one or both ends. Took the whole thing down and re-crimped all wires with new terminals and checked all wires with my ohm meter and all was fine. Put it back up and still having the same problem. Spoke with Joe and he felt it might be the 450 ohm twin-lead..??? if so,a why does it tune up so easy and operate on all other bands but not 75M. This seems to have happened in the last few weeks. I suspect one side or both of that third leg has a broken or ready to break wire. Thus my summary of a NOT DURABLE antenna.
I like the antenna so much, I ordered full sized 160M version. Have a tower to put up with a TA33 so, will still need something for the lower frequencies. Wish this antenna was more durable, as it really works well when all things are good evidently. Thinking I will re manufacture the new 160M version...throw away that cheap three conductor rotor cable and replace it with some insulated 14GA THNN. this should cure this problem.
NC1T Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2015 15:25 Send this review to a friend
Works Great after 3 years  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just love the antenna and the customer service. Modest station and have 220 countries confirmed, DXCC on CW and mixed. Just got K1N Navassa Island. love it you can't go wrong.
AG7K Rating: 5/5 Jan 1, 2015 16:20 Send this review to a friend
Update #2 Still good after 7 years!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this antenna (Ultralite SR) in 2007 for use as a temporary antenna. I tested it at 55 feet in a flat top configuration against resonant dipoles on 75 and 40, 15, and 20, a 260ft windom, and a handful of other antennas including the G5RV. Before I was done testing the Ultralite SR stayed and the others came down. Here we are in 2015 and the Ultralite SR is still up and used every day, 10-80meters including 60 meters. I have it running North-South at 55 feet flat top with only about 75 feet of 450 window line running into a DX Engineering 4:1 Balun. a 10 foot LMR 400 Jumper into the Palstar differential cap tuner. This setup handles 1.5 kw with no problems so far although I usually run 300- 900 if an amp is needed. I used to run the 450 ohm ladder line directly into the tuner but had a bit of rf in the shack, as well as tuning solutions were hard to get in some spots. The outside mounted 5k current balun solved these issues. The only other antenna I use here that works as well is a 240 nonresonant W7FG design fed with 600ohm ladder line that is up in an east -west flat top configuration at 55 feet. I have more room east west but north-south the 140 Ultralite SR fits perfectly!
K8CPA Rating: 5/5 Dec 3, 2014 20:10 Send this review to a friend
The Senior version is awesome!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Wish I has bought this antenna 10 years ago! I have the Cobra Ultra-Lite Senior at 40 feet with a homebrew "ugly Balun" and it works excellent.

I've had it up since the summer and it performs flawlessly.

If you have 140 feet to spare, get the senior model.

Works on 160 well too, really works on 80 too. Plus all the other bands.

Just get one, you won't regret it.

KC4DCA Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2014 18:04 Send this review to a friend
Super antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had the Jr. up for about a year and it has been an absolute first rate performer. I have it about 40 feet up at the mid-point and the ends are about 30 feet pointed east-west. I get great signal reports up and down the east coast on 80 and 40. It works very well to EU and west coast on higher frequencies. I have used it without the 4:1 balun going into a elderly but healthy Dentron Super Tuner from the 80s or earlier and recently re-installed the balun to work through an LDG autotuner. Can't give enough kudos to this antenna. Just wish I had the room to put up the Senior version.
W1KQ Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2014 10:25 Send this review to a friend
The Best!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm used to home-brewing my own wire antennas and even built my own Cobra using Romex 12 AWG, I call it the Anaconda* since before they were commercially available at HRO...I worked at HRO in Salem, NH at the time the Cobra was first carried there.
I bought one of Joe's Cobra Sr's; just because... for a long time Joe thought I was using one of his. LOL It's a great antenna for me to take portable along with a hyper hanger sling-shot and Dacron rope. Yeah, Joe has access to those pneumatic tennis ball launchers, I use my Anaconda*, a Cobra with 84 foot legs, as my primary dipole at home. A: I have it up at 70 feet. B: Solid conductor AWG 12...kind of cheating when compared to the original design. I occasionally use the Cobra itself, Joe's version, and it has got to be one of the best dipoles I've used in 33 years as a ham. Sorry Joe, my design is better...well has more scrote and yes it is heavier, not as portable as yours; that's what I like about yours. Home-brewed 1/2 wave doublets, G5RV's don't come close in my experiences having lived all over the U.S...moved around a lot due to USMC and USAF. Yes there are better but simplicity and performance puts the Cobra at the top of the dipole class. Just ask Special Forces.
One of my end insulators on Joe's Cobra design broke on very cold and very windy New England winter day. When I next saw Joe and mentioned it he handed me a replacement insulator. I can't believe those who say they get no support from Cobra; of course I live close enough to K1JEK that I could drive to his house if I needed to or better I could wait and see him on Thursdays at HRO in Salem, NH. I've never had to drive to Joe's. I've had lunch with him and crew many times over the years...if YOU ever do...never wear a hat indoors; you'll hear Joe's mother's voice telling you to remove it. Semper Fi Joe.
KF5FHV Rating: 4/5 Sep 14, 2014 18:35 Send this review to a friend
Solid performer for what its designed to do  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have a 4 band OCF Dipole that I've been using for a year or so and was looking for something else that could do multi band but better performance than a G5RV and this is what I decided on. I am pleased with my purchase after using it for a few days all over the bands from 80-10 on SSB and digital modes. I use an LDG AT100 Pro 2 tuner and switch back and forth between the OCF and the Cobra and notice about 1 S unit better on the recieve and the transmit I can go back and forth and the reports seem to be about the same on the other end. I am able to tune up no problem from 80-6 meters and easily get less than 1.5:1 match. In my unscientific "seat of the pants" feel for this antenna has been good. I only give it a 4 because the ladderline is a pain to deal with. I'm going to try switching to 300ohm twin which will be easier but hopefully doesnt degrade performance.
KD6JSM Rating: 1/5 Aug 9, 2014 21:07 Send this review to a friend
Really disappointed  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I ordered the Cobra Junior Lite several months ago after e-mailing them to ask if putting it up as a semi-vee would make a difference in performance and receiving no firm answer. I bought it anyway and friends helped me put it up on a fiber glass pole at 33 feet the legs 31 feet apart and 10 feet high. The man on top forgot to wrap or loosely coil the ladder line around the mast for 26 feet.

I contacted COBRA and asked how to make up for that error. After discussing where the other 50+ feet were I never received a answer on how to improve it with this error. In fact I never received a contact of any kind after the 1st one.

With no customer support I must say this antenna is a dismal performer and I don't get half the contacts I got on the antenna I was using before this one. I cannot recommend this antenna because of poor installation instructions, lousy customer support, and I just can't get it to work right. Contacts that I used to make easy and regular I cannot even raise now. I believe this antenna, its instructions, and customer support are the worse I've experienced with any HAM equipment. I know there are others who rate this highly but I cannot . I just learned another expensive lesson, maybe I can save you from the same fate. I wish I had my Alpha Delta DX-D back it worked really well.
WD1V Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2014 20:25 Send this review to a friend
Treat It Like a Vertical  Time owned: more than 12 months
Simple trick if you have RF in the shack when using this antenna. Used it as a dipole for more than a year and something got me to try it on 40 meters which went fine at low power but > 100 watts monitors would flicker, AM/FM radio would buzz - lots of RFI. So I put out a quarter wave ground wire on the
coax side of the 4:1 balun. Problem solved. But it seems now schematically that is 2 inverted Ls fed in phase against the counterpoise. If the snow ever melts here in NH, I hope to try more radials. Also want to see if radiation efficiency is going up as the radials are added.