Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Cobra UltraLite Multiband Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Cobra UltraLite Multiband Antenna
Cobra UltraLite Multiband Antenna Reviews: 129 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $89.95
Description: A complete 10-160 wire antenna constructed to handle extreme weather
More info: http://www.k1jek.com

You can write your own review of the Cobra UltraLite Multiband Antenna.

K8CPA Rating: 5/5 Dec 3, 2014 20:10 Send this review to a friend
The Senior version is awesome!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Wish I has bought this antenna 10 years ago! I have the Cobra Ultra-Lite Senior at 40 feet with a homebrew "ugly Balun" and it works excellent.

I've had it up since the summer and it performs flawlessly.

If you have 140 feet to spare, get the senior model.

Works on 160 well too, really works on 80 too. Plus all the other bands.

Just get one, you won't regret it.

KC4DCA Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2014 18:04 Send this review to a friend
Super antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had the Jr. up for about a year and it has been an absolute first rate performer. I have it about 40 feet up at the mid-point and the ends are about 30 feet pointed east-west. I get great signal reports up and down the east coast on 80 and 40. It works very well to EU and west coast on higher frequencies. I have used it without the 4:1 balun going into a elderly but healthy Dentron Super Tuner from the 80s or earlier and recently re-installed the balun to work through an LDG autotuner. Can't give enough kudos to this antenna. Just wish I had the room to put up the Senior version.

W1KQ Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2014 10:25 Send this review to a friend
The Best!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm used to home-brewing my own wire antennas and even built my own Cobra using Romex 12 AWG, I call it the Anaconda* since before they were commercially available at HRO...I worked at HRO in Salem, NH at the time the Cobra was first carried there.
I bought one of Joe's Cobra Sr's; just because... for a long time Joe thought I was using one of his. LOL It's a great antenna for me to take portable along with a hyper hanger sling-shot and Dacron rope. Yeah, Joe has access to those pneumatic tennis ball launchers, I use my Anaconda*, a Cobra with 84 foot legs, as my primary dipole at home. A: I have it up at 70 feet. B: Solid conductor AWG 12...kind of cheating when compared to the original design. I occasionally use the Cobra itself, Joe's version, and it has got to be one of the best dipoles I've used in 33 years as a ham. Sorry Joe, my design is better...well has more scrote and yes it is heavier, not as portable as yours; that's what I like about yours. Home-brewed 1/2 wave doublets, G5RV's don't come close in my experiences having lived all over the U.S...moved around a lot due to USMC and USAF. Yes there are better but simplicity and performance puts the Cobra at the top of the dipole class. Just ask Special Forces.
One of my end insulators on Joe's Cobra design broke on very cold and very windy New England winter day. When I next saw Joe and mentioned it he handed me a replacement insulator. I can't believe those who say they get no support from Cobra; of course I live close enough to K1JEK that I could drive to his house if I needed to or better I could wait and see him on Thursdays at HRO in Salem, NH. I've never had to drive to Joe's. I've had lunch with him and crew many times over the years...if YOU ever do...never wear a hat indoors; you'll hear Joe's mother's voice telling you to remove it. Semper Fi Joe.

KF5FHV Rating: 4/5 Sep 14, 2014 18:35 Send this review to a friend
Solid performer for what its designed to do  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have a 4 band OCF Dipole that I've been using for a year or so and was looking for something else that could do multi band but better performance than a G5RV and this is what I decided on. I am pleased with my purchase after using it for a few days all over the bands from 80-10 on SSB and digital modes. I use an LDG AT100 Pro 2 tuner and switch back and forth between the OCF and the Cobra and notice about 1 S unit better on the recieve and the transmit I can go back and forth and the reports seem to be about the same on the other end. I am able to tune up no problem from 80-6 meters and easily get less than 1.5:1 match. In my unscientific "seat of the pants" feel for this antenna has been good. I only give it a 4 because the ladderline is a pain to deal with. I'm going to try switching to 300ohm twin which will be easier but hopefully doesnt degrade performance.

KD6JSM Rating: 1/5 Aug 9, 2014 21:07 Send this review to a friend
Really disappointed  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I ordered the Cobra Junior Lite several months ago after e-mailing them to ask if putting it up as a semi-vee would make a difference in performance and receiving no firm answer. I bought it anyway and friends helped me put it up on a fiber glass pole at 33 feet the legs 31 feet apart and 10 feet high. The man on top forgot to wrap or loosely coil the ladder line around the mast for 26 feet.

I contacted COBRA and asked how to make up for that error. After discussing where the other 50+ feet were I never received a answer on how to improve it with this error. In fact I never received a contact of any kind after the 1st one.

With no customer support I must say this antenna is a dismal performer and I don't get half the contacts I got on the antenna I was using before this one. I cannot recommend this antenna because of poor installation instructions, lousy customer support, and I just can't get it to work right. Contacts that I used to make easy and regular I cannot even raise now. I believe this antenna, its instructions, and customer support are the worse I've experienced with any HAM equipment. I know there are others who rate this highly but I cannot . I just learned another expensive lesson, maybe I can save you from the same fate. I wish I had my Alpha Delta DX-D back it worked really well.

WD1V Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2014 20:25 Send this review to a friend
Treat It Like a Vertical  Time owned: more than 12 months
Simple trick if you have RF in the shack when using this antenna. Used it as a dipole for more than a year and something got me to try it on 40 meters which went fine at low power but > 100 watts monitors would flicker, AM/FM radio would buzz - lots of RFI. So I put out a quarter wave ground wire on the
coax side of the 4:1 balun. Problem solved. But it seems now schematically that is 2 inverted Ls fed in phase against the counterpoise. If the snow ever melts here in NH, I hope to try more radials. Also want to see if radiation efficiency is going up as the radials are added.

KJ4IIB Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2014 13:40 Send this review to a friend
GREAT COMPROMISED ANTENNA  Time owned: more than 12 months
I PUT UP THE COBRA SENIOR....COULD NOT BELIEVE THE SIGNAL REPORTS.BOTH OF MY HF RIGS ARE ABLE TO TUNE THE ANTENNA WITH THE INTERNAL TUNERS.(ICOM746PRO,YAESU FT950)LIGHT,EASY TO GET UP IN THE AIR.THE OLD COGERS ON 160 DONT KNOW IM ONLY RUNNING A 100 WATTS.VERY LOW NOISE FLOOR COMPARED TO MY WINDOM.

KK4MC Rating: 5/5 Jan 26, 2014 06:05 Send this review to a friend
Worth It  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just hung an UltrLite Jr as a sloper, about 60 feet in a pine tree on one end sloping to about 10 feet on low end. Ladder line floats over top of foilage in the forest preserve behing my home (live in HOA restricted area), to a 4113 Balun Joe sells, with the excess ladder line loosely coiled. Coax is run to the shack about 100 feet away. Very quite and great signals. Tunes easily except on 80 meters, 75 meters tunes pretty well however. I highly reccommend it and seriously considering another one for mobility like field days, etc.

W3MT Rating: 5/5 Jan 16, 2014 20:11 Send this review to a friend
K1JEK Folded Dipole...my #1 favorite!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The ratings here go from 0 to 5. Too bad they don't go from 0 to 6...because this is truly a better than great dipole. In my over 35 years of enjoying our fine hobby, I've found that this is the best antenna I've personally experienced. Some caveats: Don't set up your station on the second floor; your basement is best. Second, suspend your antenna in a loose fashion. Third, get a big beefy external impedance match. Fourth, use a good current balun, like the DX Engineering models. And 5th, have fun. Remember there is no perfect antenna but this may be just right for you. I've had a lot of fun with mine, and hope you do too.

KB5GYX Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2013 09:24 Send this review to a friend
Excellent to deploy with  Time owned: more than 12 months
It is durable. We use it in a NVIS configuration for the Texas State Guard when deploying to emergencies. Fifty foot mast and a couple of fifteen foot poles and we're handling traffic.

Generally, we can set up a ICOM 7200 with auto-tuner on a folding table with a laptop for digital messages in less than thirty minutes. The Cobra Senior is chiefly why we can start operating so quickly.