Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Cobra UltraLite Multiband Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Cobra UltraLite Multiband Antenna
Cobra UltraLite Multiband Antenna Reviews: 126 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $89.95
Description: A complete 10-160 wire antenna constructed to handle extreme weather
More info: http://www.k1jek.com

You can write your own review of the Cobra UltraLite Multiband Antenna.

AA1QT Rating: 5/5 Mar 5, 2013 09:21 Send this review to a friend
Well Built  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Cobra Sr is built well.I first put up a Cobra Sr that I pulled out of Joe,s junk box at one of our local Hamfests. Nothing was wrong with it other than old winter beaten age. I flat topped it about fourty feet up end to end with ladderline dropped down to about ten feet off the ground, then over to the shack.Home brew balun and four and a half years later still good results. 1.1/1.2 swr 160/10. Joe just sent me a brand new one with the Balun Designs 4113, and I suspect this new one will be up for the next ten years here in Maine. I have actually only bought about five antennas since 1959,Mosley,cushcrsft,and Titan's,and always have built my own.But after a few heart attacks and It was time to call Joe for one more Cobra Sr. Joe answered the phone in about two rings and that was on a friday,and Monday morning the antenna was sitting on my desk. Thanks Joe. As for the Cobra SR Joe gives you the antenna ready to fly. And it will do what it is supposed to do. Some may have to make a tweak here or there but if you don,t chop it all to hell it is one good antenna. It is easy to roll out and hang.I will still make my own but I also will call Joe for a Cobra any time I have a chance to hang one for my friends.New or old timers,Joe's Cobra will give you lots of talk time and less head scratching. Thanks

N7BBX Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2013 09:56 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Joe and his crew have designed a great all band antenna. I will keep this review short only to say it REALLY works well.

KA9NDQ Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2013 10:37 Send this review to a friend
Great perofrmance is little space!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I am in a no-outside-antenna neighborhood and have tried a couple of different antennas n the attic. Prior to the cobra, it was a G5RV jr. I put a cobra jr up and it performs much, much better. I am always able to work any DX I Hear and I get great reports.

You need to run ladder line all the way into the shack and then use a tuner. With this combo, I have nothing but great reports and results. I still have the G5RV up, and will use a coax switch, there is at least 6db difference - more on some bands.

K6MWL Rating: 5/5 Dec 14, 2012 19:24 Send this review to a friend
Solved my problems  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well, I have several challenges at my qth. The room in my yard is about 25' by 25' and very close to the station. I was running an inverted vee shortened 80m OCF dipole, and still couldnt fit it w/o doglegging one end. It worked well till I got an amp and started running some power. I was getting rf or common noise in my signal (a lot), and some electrical anomolies in the house.So an extra I know told me about using a balanced doublet, and feeding it with ladder line. I think he thought I should build it, but I dont do that, and then I saw and ad on this site for Joe's antennas. The junior fits in my yard at 32' apex, and the ends are off the ground. NO rf in my transmit! Good reports so far on all the bands ive been on including 80m! Easy to install. Very lite! I put dabs of coax seal on all the exposed connectors, and also purchased a Balun Designs balun from Joe. I want one antenna for all bands, and with the room that I have, the Junior has made my day. Hard to believe that a 71' foot antenna will do as good as this. You will need a tuner, and my LDG 600 Pro2 tunes all bands easy. $115 bucks? What a great deal!

K4DWR Rating: 5/5 Nov 3, 2012 19:01 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
When I got back into Ham Radio after a 30 plus year hiatus, and I began looking for HF gear, I noticed the Cobra Jr. and saw that it had been bought by Army Special Forces. Being an old SF soldier, I figured, if it was good enough for them, it was good enough for me! I was amazed at how light it was and I can imagine that the team radionman is thrilled to have such a light antenna to carry in his ruck sack. So I put it up. I really had a lot to learn/re-learn about antennas and HF commo. Once I e-mailed the mfgr and got some tips on how to put it up right, I was amazed at its performance. I have since donated my Jr. to a college Ham club and purchased a Sr. No. It's not a miracle antenna, but if you put it up right, it will perform. I have mine up about 55 ft. in a large pine tree with the ends coming down in an inverted v. I think one of the keys to performance is to have the ladder line hang perpindicular at least 35 - 50 feet. I don't even have my residual coiled up I have a gentle angle through the trees to a 4:1 Balun and 76 ft of RG 213/U coax to a choke balun into the shack. I regularly run 100 to 500 Watts and I break through pile-ups and pretty much get whoever I can hear. Seems to work well on all bands. I use an Ameritron ATR 30 tuner - a good tuner is a must for this antenna. I've had mine up for about a year now and shortly after it was put up, because I put too much weight on the ends, the wire snapped just inches from the center insulator. It was stripped and soldered, protected with heat shrink and since then (with a slightly shortened element) it hasn't missed a beat. As for homebrewing the cobra or similar antenna, I think that the lightness and strength would be hard to duplicate. Right now it is the only antenna I use and I'm extremely satisfied with it. Customer service is great also! Well worth the money but make sure you follow the mfgr's recs. on how to put it up. I think you will be very happy with the value you get for your money.

WX4O Rating: 5/5 Oct 24, 2012 11:16 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine up for 6+ years with zero problems.
I use it daily on a 75 meter net, and my trusty old MFJ 993B autotuner gives me a zero SWR. For a 'compromise' antenna. Mine is only up about 30 feet in the center, 12 feet on one end, 5 feet on the other end. I would definitely buy another.

W6QT Rating: 4/5 Oct 24, 2012 02:29 Send this review to a friend
Jr. not the greatest  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Antenna is on second story flat rooftop up 12 meters high on homebrew tower as inverted V. Ends are up 10-12 feet supported by bamboo poles. SWR on 80 not so good, but very good on 7 - 28 Mhz. Nothing special about this antenna. It does work and I get (perhaps inflated) 59s from DX stations all over the place. I had a station in JA land tell me it sounded like a 2 ele yagi (to him anyway). Get one, it works. Look at QRZ and see what I've snagged in just two months using this antenna in the Philippines. But, get the Senior version. Might be a whole lot better?

NC1T Rating: 5/5 Oct 5, 2012 12:42 Send this review to a friend
Added a second senior  Time owned: more than 12 months
I live in central NH, lots of high winds and usually bad winters. My first ant was put up a year ago as a flat top at 60 ft. Works like a champ, worked over 200 countries with no amp. I wanted a second one installed on the chance that if the original failed during a severe mid winter storm, I would hopefully still be able operate. Joe, Chris and Roger arrived and put the second up at about 50 feet. At Rogers suggestion it was installed as an inverted L. Both work great the L has a lower noise floor especially on my favorite Boston news and sports channels. It also really flattens out the swr (internal tuner) at the low portion of 10 meters, I do mostly cw. Very will built and tough. Highly recommend.

AG5AS Rating: 5/5 Sep 17, 2012 18:13 Send this review to a friend
Excellent antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've used the Cobra Ultralite Senior for about 6 months and really like it. I have it in an East-West polarization and pick up both ends of the country with a good 59 most of the time. My back yard is on a gentle eastward slope so that probably helps too. I have it at about 40 ft. Maybe to get Hawaii I need to go to 60! I plan to purchase another one polarized N-S. and hang a little lower. This antenna is also very good for NVIS in MARS. I purchased the 3KW balun. The antenna is easy to tune from 10-160m with my Palstar AT2KD.
Jack AG5AS

KA3ZHX Rating: 5/5 Aug 9, 2012 18:47 Send this review to a friend
An excellent antenna system  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have the Cobra Junior for 6 months, basically strewn on the roof of a condo..I have worked the worked the world on 100 watts and use it daily for 75 meters SouthWestern nets....

I tune it with an LDG AT 600Pro and it tunes excellent across the band spectrum.

Bottom line....the antenna is absolutely bullet proof...I would buy another...