Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Drake TR 4 and other radios in this line Help

Reviews Summary for Drake TR 4 and other radios in this line
Drake TR 4 and other radios in this line Reviews: 27 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $600
Description: Tube Type HF Trasceiver
More info: http://www.rldrake.com/

You can write your own review of the Drake TR 4 and other radios in this line.

IT9AHH Rating: 5/5 Nov 14, 2012 10:26 Send this review to a friend
tr4c, lots of real fun!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The tr4c is friendly,fun,powerful,smart,always ready
to be adjusted for best performance,and also young.
You must not be tampered with but must be kept original,often has to be clean inside and out,and must be aligned according to the owner's manual.Only
in this way you will always have a nice radio,always ready to go on air.Do not ever sell it.

AC4HR Rating: 5/5 Aug 8, 2012 04:36 Send this review to a friend
DRAKE TR4C Still a great transceiver.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been a ham since 1961. Like many hams i have always tried to have a unit with the latest advances. But as I first grew up in ham radio I fell in love with 6 meters. How does that matter to Drake? A Drake R4B and 6 meter receiving converter were the heart of my station. Fast forward to 2010. I had a chance to buy a Drake TR4C. And am I ever glad that I did, I bought the unit and immediately sent it to one of the Drake Gurus in Ohio. Once I got it back, I got a restart into ham radio. I have not had this much fun in years. I love the old tube radios and to me the Drake radios were the best buy on the market. I use my TR4C every day. My 746PRO has been relegated to use on 6 and 2 meters, and backup duty on HF. If you have a chance to procure a Drake unit. Jump on it and relive ham history.

KC2VDM Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2012 19:07 Send this review to a friend
Great rig, even with today's standards.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
TR-4C

I got this radio from a friend of mine who worked for the State Police. This was their backup rig. When I got it, all it needed was a cleanup, a little figiting with the relay, and a new MIC connector. After all that, it worked flawlessly. My first contact on this rig was Wisconsin. On a random wire. Barefoot. The second was a Ham in Texas.

Overall a great rig. If one is offered for sale, GET IT! It won't disappoint you. These are still going strong after about 35 years!

N4UE Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2010 15:57 Send this review to a friend
Can't beat a Drake!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I thought I had placed a review here for this fine radio, but I was mistaken.
I have been a ham for 50 years and have owned them all. I still have a large boatanchor receiver collection and about 20+ Icoms. However, when I picked up my first Drake 15 years ago, I was stunned by how well they functioned. I have had many TR-4(any) and TR-3s go through here, and I finally found a 'keeper' TR-4Cw. It is playing in the background right now listening to 40M CW. What a sweet sound through the RV-4C speaker. The remote VFO is a VERY handy accessory, IMHO.
I add a small muffin fan to all my tube-type radios and have NEVER had a failure of any type. I started the fan deal after putting my arm on my TR-6 after having it on all day. OUCH!! 19 tubes in the TR-6 makes some major heat. For their age, Drake used quality caps and other than replacing the electrolytics for preventive measures, they are ROCK solid.
I also have three R-4Bs and a R-4C (heavily moded), but the receiver in the TR-4 sounds sooo good.
Let's keep these national treasures working for another 40 years!!!

Happy New Year to ALL!!!!!!!

ron
N4UE

WD9FUM Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2010 11:46 Send this review to a friend
Still Have Mine  Time owned: more than 12 months
When I upgraded to General, another ham told me to get a TR4. I took his advice and have never regretted it. Whoever designed it using sweep tube finals was a genius - I could load up a wet noodle. The TR4 is a keeper!

K9FON Rating: 5/5 Mar 1, 2010 09:17 Send this review to a friend
I cant get away from them!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ive owned several HF rigs over the past few years and i have had some GREAT HF rigs and then ive had some that were DOGS(Ten tec Corsair) but for some reason i always seem to end up with a Drake Tr-4. I am on my third TR-4 and as always I love it. I like the Tr-4 just as much as I like the Yaesu FT 101 series and the atlas 210 210X rigs. They just work and work WELL! Plus the 175 watts out doesnt hurt matters either.

W8YG Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2010 08:36 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I would have to say that this radio has a truly great receiver it is very pleasant to listen to. I have gotten mixed audio reports with it. I am going to have to find a good microphone for it.
But as with most of the radios that have been in my shack I seem to be able to hear most stations and am able to work them.
But as we all know that having a good receiver does have it drawbacks when you are working a station that cant quite hear you but they are the dreaded S9 copy on my end. Oh my S9 is almost like cursing some hams out.LOL
I love this radio and I am sure that once I get used to it it will be even more of a joy to operate.

N3WAK Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2009 12:50 Send this review to a friend
TR-4CW--Great Rig!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I own a refurbished Drake TR-4CW that I got from Ron Baker, WB4HFN. This is a fantastic rig! I bought it for nostalgic and practical reasons, as I had simpler and older Drake equipment as a novice three decades ago, and I needed a radio.

The rig is beautiful! There's a comfortable, warming glow from the tubes, dial, and meter, which is nowhere to be found on "modern" rigs. Sure, my Icom is effortless to operate, and has plenty of bells and whistles. But its LCD screen is cold and utilitarian, and it doesn't welcome me like the old TR-4CW does.

Ham radio was a part of my youth, and it's great fun to again have lots of dials to turn. Too, I love the smell of warm vacuum tubes in the morning. If you want to savor, enjoy, and linger over a vintage Port, the TR-4CW is for you, especially on a cold, wintery night. However, if you want simply to chug down a few tasteless, cheap beers, you might want to look elsewhere.

With a TR-4CW, you can put out a big signal, have great audio, buy American, and scratch the nostalgia itch all at the same time!

There are only two caveats that come to mind. First, the rig only covers 80, 40, 20, 15, and 10 meters. If you want to operate on 30, 17, and 12 meters, you should consider the Drake twins and not a TR-4CW. Second, you can't just ship it back to the factory if it goes on the fritz. Fortunately, if you aren't a technical expert, there is a very talented pool of Drake enthusiasts, and several ham techs who specialize in Drake repairs, to help you out. You can find a lot of helpful information on WB4HFN.com.

VE3PTC Rating: 5/5 Oct 13, 2008 18:12 Send this review to a friend
what a blast !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
i have always liked the older radio gear, mainly ts 520, ft 102 etc, for the outstanding audio both on tx and rx. originally living in the uk, i really never saw too many drake radio's, for sale, and so recently, i picked up a tr4 with the pwr supply/speaker combo for a very modest price. i switched it on, and tuned across 75m. the audio quality was just outstanding, and the selectivity first rate. i marvelled at this radio, as it was built some 36/37 years ago, and it can still hold its own with the other modern stuff in my shack!
i have sent it away for an alignment, and i'm going to install the pwr supply upgrade kit, then i'm going to have some fun with this radio!!
i have to say, i'm very impressed with this radio, the quality of build, and its performance. i only wish i had "discovered" drake equipment earlier!
regards, de bob. ve3ptc/gm0ley

LU5DDX Rating: 4/5 Jun 16, 2008 12:56 Send this review to a friend
hermoso !!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
the equipment is very good. but weak nb optional and the lamp that activates ppt. little sensitivity in high bands, superb sound in 80 and 40 meters, greetings Jorge