Reviews Categories | Towers, masts, accessories, climbing gear | Hygain HG52-SS Help

Reviews Summary for Hygain HG52-SS
Reviews: 7 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $2000
Description: 52-foot crank-up tower.

You can write your own review of the Hygain HG52-SS.

AI4HO Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2011 16:44 Send this review to a friend
Great Tower at a great price!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my Hygain HG52 SS up for 2 and a half years now, and couldn't be happier. I had my neighbor help me to dig the hole for the base, which measures 4'X4' square and 6' deep. My only worry was digging 6' down into the Florida soil. With our water table relatively shallow, I was concerned that at the 3' or 4' level I would hit water or run into our in ground irritation...er..ah..irrigation system. But as luck would have it, I hit neither water or water lines. After waiting the requisite amount of time to allow the concrete to cure, the tower went onto the base with out a hitch. I've had my Mosley TA-33 classic on top with a CD-45II rotator to complete the project, I was on the air with my 1st tower and beam. This will in all likelihood be my one and only tower, barring any unforeseen circumstances....storms, etc. I do periodic maintainance, to keep everything as it should be. I'm probably about due to change the crank handle as it is in pretty rough shape,mot of the wood on the handle has rotted, dried out. I've done what I can with what I've been able to get at our local Lowes and Home Depot.

If you find one of these towers in good shape, and it still has the base, which is also in decent to good shape, well then you have in my limited experience one damn good tower. Just make sure the cables are still in good shape, as is the crank, and it'll get good to you, ca't complain about my tower, I expect it'll be up long after I'm gone and I'm only 53.

73 de Mark
W3LZK

KB2NB Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2010 17:50 Send this review to a friend
Great Tower - 25 yrs!  Time owned: more than 12 months
More than 25 years old, my HG-SS has been supporting a Hy-Gain Explorer 14, rotor, and wire antennas through ice storms, wind, and other East Coast weather here in NJ without any problems. I have replaced the cabling twice as preventive maintenance and lube the sheaves every year. Hy-Gain no longer sells the lift cables, but replacement cables are easy to make using wire rope and Nicopress fittings and tools and are not hard to replace.
I look forward to another 25 years of service from this tower!

VA3DJL Rating: 5/5 Apr 8, 2009 05:57 Send this review to a friend
Great tower  Time owned: more than 12 months
I will also agree- it is hard to rank a tower. Mine has been up for 5 years now and has held up a Ham IV rotor, Cushcraft X7 and a 3 element 6M and a 14 element 2M antenna. It is easy to crank up and down and has given me no problems.

NB2A Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2009 20:28 Send this review to a friend
Superb  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this tower up since 1991 with my host of antennas. I originally gave it an extra cold galvanized coating of rustoleum and it still looks like new now.
It sure went up in price since I bought it but if its made like mine its well worth it.

K4DZR Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2008 06:40 Send this review to a friend
SUPER PERFORMER  Time owned: more than 12 months
After 26 years this one is still going strong. It was originally installed at the ham station for the 1982 World's Fair in Knoxville, TN. I purchased it from the ham station group after the fair. I have had a Cushcraft A3, Mosley TA-33 and now a 3 element quad mounted on a Ham IV. I replaced the original cable about 12 years ago which was a not a bad job at all. Unfortunately, HyGain does not currently manufacture the tower.
This tower has earned a good review after more than a quarter century of service.

K9ROD Rating: 0/5 Apr 19, 2007 17:48 Send this review to a friend
Poor Quality  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have a HG-52SS that buckeled in hafe today from a 57 mph wind. Manufacturer only rates this tower for a 50 mph wind without antennas. There are much beter crankup towers today that will withstand 70 to 90 mph winds.

WB4M Rating: 5/5 Dec 11, 2003 22:06 Send this review to a friend
Does the job  Time owned: more than 12 months
Not sure how to rate a tower's performance. All I can say is that it holds my antenna up, hi. Mine supports a Hygain TH7DX beam and Hygain Ham IV rotor. Mine also has an electric winch which makes raising and lowering a snap, however I almost never have a need to lower the tower. Only time is during hurricane season. Worst storm mine has seen was Hurricane Fran back in Sept of 1996. I lowered the tower to its nesting height of 22 feet. Both the beam and tower made it through the storm just fine. This is the only tower I have even owned so cannot compare it to any other brand. I have owned the tower for over 10 years now and no trouble at all.