Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | Audacity Help

Reviews Summary for Audacity
Reviews: 12 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $FREE
Description: Audio Recording and shaping software

You can write your own review of the Audacity.

KK8ZZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2013 17:23 Send this review to a friend
Great Value  Time owned: more than 12 months
Used this for a year to produce blogs... very capable program ! Mac and Win too

KD7RDZI2 Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2013 13:13 Send this review to a friend
Do you still believe what you pay for?  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Look at free software such as SDRSharp, Log4om, Fldigi, Gpredict and of course Audacity! Not to say an OS like Linux! Not only they don't cost a penny, they are often far better than commercial ones.
I have used Audacity with Linux for transcription purpose. It's far better than others I have used. You can use it for both work and leisure.

NT9M Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2013 12:08 Send this review to a friend
For the price, can't ask for more  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used this software for awhile now, both at work (broadcast FM) and all my machines at home. Right now it's running on Windows XP, Vista Business, and Windows 7 without any issues here. I also use it on my Linux systems, usually under Mint.

At work and at home I use it for editing audio for my newscasts, and in the hamshack for recording announcements for the Echolink node on our local repeater.

Highly recommended.

K7LZR Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2013 00:21 Send this review to a friend
Works very well  Time owned: more than 12 months
Never a problem with Audacity. I am an aerobics instructor and I use it to edit music for classes, and also for some ham radio uses such as creating & editing courtesy tone files for repeater use.

This program has never introduced malware on any system on which I've installed it. Perhaps those who report such problems have other computer issues which are the true cause.

If you need a good full-featured audio editor at an unbeatable price, then here it is.

KD0REQ Rating: 4/5 Oct 14, 2013 18:02 Send this review to a friend
works well enough  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had a 78 record-mail I had to clean up for a relative's birthday party that was basically unlistenable. had to tape a dime over the cartridge to keep it in the grooves. the only "malware" involved was the Microsoft v.4 realtime compiler when I downloaded the latest version from SourceForge a couple weeks ago. was unable to use the old VM amplifier to get enough preamp gain, so I put the ceramic cartridge into my Behringer mixer, cut the treble, and cranked 'er up high. two passes through Audacity processing, and it was good enough. I could not figure out editing to put the two sides together, so I saved out as WAV and clipped and spliced it with Windows sound recorder. a third pass chopped the volume down way into the mud, so I didn't save that pass and went with the previous one.

this one takes a little work, but it does a good enough job. I do intend to use the old Ampex 601 if I want to save something from the wavelengths, though. Analog can always be recovered, and I have tapes from the 50s that are clear as a bell.

K5TED Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2013 17:52 Send this review to a friend
Good, free  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used Audacity for years, have installed it on countless PC's, and not once had any instance of "malware". It's easy to use once you get the hang of it. It is not like other editing software like the old FastEddie, or Cooledit, but for general use in the shack or quick wav and mp3 editing, it is very good.

KC7OV Rating: 2/5 Oct 14, 2013 12:23 Send this review to a friend
Beware  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Program introduces malware when I downloaded it.Works great other than that.

FORMER_N9KX_SM Rating: 5/5 Dec 6, 2011 19:14 Send this review to a friend
Great for QSO Recording!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Works great as a QSO Recorder with my 756 Pro II and Signalink USB. I would think that those with other sound card interfaces will get similar results.

Audicity allows me to playback and analyze my own transmit audio. I can record another hams audio and then play it back for him or her when asked for a signal report.

Of course if your like contesting, canned messages can be created and then played back over the air.

The nice thing about the signalink is that If I want to transmit a recording, all I need to do is click the output selector, choose the signalink USB and hit play... This keys the transmitter and routes the recorded audio out over the air in just 2 mouse clicks.

Use the export function to save your recording as an MP3 or choose from other formats. You will need to download a file and copy it to the program directory to enable this function. simple, straight forward instructions are included on your first attempt to export.

KD7MWR Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2007 12:54 Send this review to a friend
Superb!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I really like this free software. I was using Roxio Sound Recorder but tired of the resources it uses. I set up a computer with a 500Mhz Celeron, 5GB hard drive and Windows 2000. Audacity works great as a sound recorder. Roxio keeps a very large temp file that constantly needs deleting. Audacity also offers many effects and post processing.

VE3CXB Rating: 4/5 Apr 26, 2006 20:41 Send this review to a friend
Very good program  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've not used a lot of different programs like this so I can't comment on how Audacity compares to others, especially commercial software. This is the only reason I give it a rating of 4. There are no doubt programs out there that may work better or have better or more features.

I'm using this program in a 2.6 GHz. machine under Win 2000.

Having said that, Audacity in my opinion is a very good program, and it's free. Installation is easy, however please note that if you wish to save sound files as MP3's you must download an additional file (lame_enc.dll). This is no big deal as it is available on the Audacity download page. You just drop the file into the same directory in which you have Audacity. Simple.

I use Audacity mostly as a "tape recorder". For this it is well suited. Audio is input into your sound card. It has all the usual "buttons", plus level dislays (bargraph) and level adjustments. Just push "Record" and away you go. Then you just save the file as a wave, MP3 or Ogg Vorbis file.

There are a reasonable number of editing features. You can cut and paste, delete, silence, etc. These features are also relatively straightforward.

Then there are a number of extra features that allow you to modify your audio files. You can amplify or decrease the levels, speed up or slow down, change pitch, add echo, reverse, etc., etc.,etc. You get the idea. You don't need to use these features and they will not get in the way of using this program simply as a tape recorder. They are there though if you need them.

So far I've not had any issues with this program. It's worked without problem so far. Newer versions come out every now and then so you should check for the latest version if that's important to you. I used an old version for years with no problems at all until I finally got a newer version a little while ago.

All in all a good little program. And the price is right. No loss if you find you don't like it.