Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Alpha Delta DX-LB (shorty) dipole for 160-80-4 Help

Reviews Summary for Alpha Delta DX-LB (shorty) dipole for 160-80-4
Alpha Delta DX-LB (shorty) dipole  for 160-80-4 Reviews: 22 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $$119.95
Description: 100 ft long dipole for 160-80-40M

You can write your own review of the Alpha Delta DX-LB (shorty) dipole for 160-80-4.

AB9QU Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2016 13:38 Send this review to a friend
Alpha Delta DX-LB (shorty) dipole  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have only gad this antenna up a couple of weeks. Still tunning it for 160 meters,need to shorten it up some more but better than it being to short. 160 is VERRY narrow banded. Mine was resonent at 1.8000.So I have shortened it 6 inches on each end and that was about half what I needed. I have an LDG 600 watt tunner that if I get just a little bit away from the resonant point it will not tune. All the other bands have surpassed my expectations. I already have a Cushcraft R7000 GAp Voyager G5RV and a KLM KT-34A. So I have something to compair it with. It is working great for me, I like it and I'm glad I baught it. I don't want to make antennas. Ok if you do. Seems well made to me. I recomend it if you don't have the real estate for a longer antenna.
GW4PJQ Rating: 4/5 Mar 27, 2016 09:34 Send this review to a friend
Its a 100FT loaded dipole  Time owned: more than 12 months
I always find wire antenna reviews funny. In fact just as funny as people who say "I'm using a home-brew G5RV at this end" or something similar. Surely that can only be home brew?

So what are you getting for your one hundred bucks when you buy an Alpha Delta DX-LB?

1 A reasonable centre insulator
2 Four ready made loading coils
3 Enough wire to make the antenna
4 Two end insulators

Considering the amount of hardware you would have to buy to make this yourself (100M roll of magnet wire to start with) and do remember all the maths and measuring has been done for you, it is good value.

It performs like a half wave dipole on 40m and an 80ft dipole on 80m and a 100ft dipole on 160m.In other words just what you would expect!

I used to make G Whip antennas for the original owner of that company back in the 1970's and 80's and I learned that there is no magic in antennas. If you shorten any antenna you WILL reduce it's radiating efficiency AND increase the system Q.

Build quality
As a legal limit antenna for use in the UK (400w) it is adequate. However I wouldn't put any more power through it. Even at 200w continuous carrier the loading coils became warm and there was evidence of St Elmo's fire (spray) on the end insulators on 160m at 400w.

Do I recommend it
Absolutely, it does exactly what the makers claim.
W6CAW Rating: 3/5 Jul 26, 2015 08:26 Send this review to a friend
So So. Overpriced  Time owned: more than 12 months
The fancy center insulator cracked after 3 years. Nothing special to the construction. 12 gage house wire, some magnet wire, and PVC pipe. Built a clone of it with stuff lying around the barn. Very over priced for what you get. A very narrow band 160 and 80 Meter antenna and a simple 40 Meter dipole. DIY!
N8UW Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2015 17:54 Send this review to a friend
Added 30m  Time owned: more than 12 months
I replaced the A-D center thing with a premium balun. I also fabricated some PVC spreaders and added a full size 30m dipole 18 inches below it, paralleled. Up ~30 ft. center, 20 foot ends close to garage, house, 6BTV, etc. Worked as expected.

Mine is for CW, and 160m is narrow-banded but I dialed it in well enough to work the WAS net and the ARRL 160m contest. Regional contacts were easy. Russia called me on the net, but I couldn't hear it.

80m is better, it is possible to work powerhouse DX stations with my AL-80B. West Coast from here in Dayton is iffy.

They are full size dipoles up 30 feet on 30m and 40m, and work as such.

I found out this is a GREAT antenna to fill in my vertical's skip zone.

Too bad a storm took out my neighbor's tree, taking down my center support with it. DX-LB inspected OK laying on the lawn, resides in the basement, and will be up again soon!

KC6RCM Rating: 5/5 Aug 11, 2014 23:01 Send this review to a friend
Great... for modest expectations.  Time owned: more than 12 months
For a limited space wire antenna, it does the job reasonably well, as long as your expectations are reasonably modest. I don't expect to work any rare DX, but contacts more regional in nature.

Regarding RF power, the instructions say this of their model DX-LB.
160 and 80 meters, 600 watts CW/PEP, ICAS duty cycle. 40 meters, 1000 watts CW/PEP, ICAS duty cycle. (Intermittent Commercial & Amateur Service... 50% duty cycle, 5 minutes on then 5 minutes off) RTTY is limited to 250 watts to prevent overheating of components.
KB6HRT Rating: 5/5 Jul 31, 2014 18:56 Send this review to a friend
Wanted 160m, I'm there!  Time owned: months
Brough a DXDD many years ago, never put it up, my old 40m dipole was in need of repair, put up the DXDD which covers 40-80m an am getting good results after a good tuning on the antenna, adding a 1to1 choke balun the antenna worked even better, Alpha Delta makes the 160-80-40m Shorty so am using it because it fits the small lot I have, This morning had it set up an working for 160m, receive is working very well, could hear all the player
I have talked to in the past an its summer time, use a Zero Five 43' vertical for the last 5 years, its a plus for me having the DXLB for sure, do use the LB with a Palstar tuner, can cover full 160m band, 80 is just OK the way it comes from Alpha Delta an 40m is good, by tuning this antenna can make it become a very hot antenna, no need to because I already did that with the DD, the LB brings in less background noise the way its setup from the factory , If I find a station a long ways out, can always switch to the DD if the station is hard copy........... Happy to to have nice choice now for 160m, thanks Alpha Delta for making the Shorty this antenna works for me............kb6hrt
KC9GLD Rating: 3/5 Jun 16, 2014 07:55 Send this review to a friend
Works well on 40, reasonable on 75/80 and 160 as I expected   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Living on a small lot I had storm damage to a 450 ohm fed 80. meter inverted V. I took down and was loaned this one to get me by. WELL after about an hour with an analyzer and a Palstar AT4K, Goodby Alpha Delta and coax, hello again ladderline and cheap wire!
K0XB Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2008 06:48 Send this review to a friend
Performs as Expected  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Two friends and I put the antenna up last month, and I used it in the ARRL 160 meter contest this weekend. It is well-made, and it was easy to trim to resonace on 160. I have not used it on 80 or 40. On 160, it was easy to work all over the 48 states, Hawaii and the Carribean. However, I was not able to hear stations in Europe or Asia, but it's probably unreasonable to expect a shortened dipole to be an effective DX antenna.
ZS6AN Rating: 5/5 Jul 26, 2008 01:32 Send this review to a friend
I AM HAPPY  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ordered my DX-LB from Hamcity. Arrived within 7 days - excellent service !!!

As far as the antenna goes ... well constructed - looks professional and well packed.

Erected it as an Inv Vee with the apex up at 15m (50ft) and the ends at about 7m (22ft) off the ground.

Had to do some slight trimming (actually had to make it slightly longer), but had the antenna resonant with a close to 1:1 SWR very quickly.

Performance on 160m, 80m, and 40m is impressive. As previously mentioned, it will be a fluke if the antenna resonantes on any other bands.

I only intend using the antenna for local contacts as I have other antennas up for low band DXing, so the antenna more than meets my expectations.

John ZS4S
K0KVR Rating: 4/5 Feb 28, 2008 05:53 Send this review to a friend
Performs well - replace end isnulators  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my DX-LB for almost a year now. I use it more than any other antenna on 40, 80 and 160 meters. I have almost worked DXCC on 160. this was not easy and am definitely not competetive in a pileup. Last night, I had the same experience as the next operator in these reviews. It was snowing and all of a sudden when I turned on my amp, the SQR went thru the roof. I looked outside and half the dipole was on the ground. Upon inspection this morning, one end insulator was almost carbonized, and partially melted. It actually melted the rope attached at the other end. I then installed a cheap plastic egg inslator which lasted about 10 seconds, and now have a ceramic insulator installed. The beef I have on this is that I called the company when I put up the antenna, because I had read these reviews and asked if they were aware of the problem, and they stated they were, and that it had been fixed, and supposedly I had the new improved insulators. Not so! Anyway, the antenna works for me on 160, 80, and 40 meters since I am very limited in space and do not have high trees far apart.