Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Alpha Delta DX-LB (shorty) dipole for 160-80-4 Help

Reviews Summary for Alpha Delta DX-LB (shorty) dipole for 160-80-4
Alpha Delta DX-LB (shorty) dipole  for 160-80-4 Reviews: 18 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $$119.95
Description: 100 ft long dipole for 160-80-40M
More info: http://www.antenna-info@alphadeltacom.com

You can write your own review of the Alpha Delta DX-LB (shorty) dipole for 160-80-4.

KC6RCM Rating: 5/5 Aug 11, 2014 23:01 Send this review to a friend
Great... for modest expectations.  Time owned: more than 12 months
For a limited space wire antenna, it does the job reasonably well, as long as your expectations are reasonably modest. I don't expect to work any rare DX, but contacts more regional in nature.

Regarding RF power, the instructions say this of their model DX-LB.
160 and 80 meters, 600 watts CW/PEP, ICAS duty cycle. 40 meters, 1000 watts CW/PEP, ICAS duty cycle. (Intermittent Commercial & Amateur Service... 50% duty cycle, 5 minutes on then 5 minutes off) RTTY is limited to 250 watts to prevent overheating of components.

KB6HRT Rating: 5/5 Jul 31, 2014 18:56 Send this review to a friend
Wanted 160m, I'm there!  Time owned: months
Brough a DXDD many years ago, never put it up, my old 40m dipole was in need of repair, put up the DXDD which covers 40-80m an am getting good results after a good tuning on the antenna, adding a 1to1 choke balun the antenna worked even better, Alpha Delta makes the 160-80-40m Shorty so am using it because it fits the small lot I have, This morning had it set up an working for 160m, receive is working very well, could hear all the player
I have talked to in the past an its summer time, use a Zero Five 43' vertical for the last 5 years, its a plus for me having the DXLB for sure, do use the LB with a Palstar tuner, can cover full 160m band, 80 is just OK the way it comes from Alpha Delta an 40m is good, by tuning this antenna can make it become a very hot antenna, no need to because I already did that with the DD, the LB brings in less background noise the way its setup from the factory , If I find a station a long ways out, can always switch to the DD if the station is hard copy........... Happy to to have nice choice now for 160m, thanks Alpha Delta for making the Shorty this antenna works for me............kb6hrt

KC9GLD Rating: 3/5 Jun 16, 2014 07:55 Send this review to a friend
Works well on 40, reasonable on 75/80 and 160 as I expected   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Living on a small lot I had storm damage to a 450 ohm fed 80. meter inverted V. I took down and was loaned this one to get me by. WELL after about an hour with an analyzer and a Palstar AT4K, Goodby Alpha Delta and coax, hello again ladderline and cheap wire!

K0XB Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2008 06:48 Send this review to a friend
Performs as Expected  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Two friends and I put the antenna up last month, and I used it in the ARRL 160 meter contest this weekend. It is well-made, and it was easy to trim to resonace on 160. I have not used it on 80 or 40. On 160, it was easy to work all over the 48 states, Hawaii and the Carribean. However, I was not able to hear stations in Europe or Asia, but it's probably unreasonable to expect a shortened dipole to be an effective DX antenna.

ZS6AN Rating: 5/5 Jul 26, 2008 01:32 Send this review to a friend
I AM HAPPY  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ordered my DX-LB from Hamcity. Arrived within 7 days - excellent service !!!

As far as the antenna goes ... well constructed - looks professional and well packed.

Erected it as an Inv Vee with the apex up at 15m (50ft) and the ends at about 7m (22ft) off the ground.

Had to do some slight trimming (actually had to make it slightly longer), but had the antenna resonant with a close to 1:1 SWR very quickly.

Performance on 160m, 80m, and 40m is impressive. As previously mentioned, it will be a fluke if the antenna resonantes on any other bands.

I only intend using the antenna for local contacts as I have other antennas up for low band DXing, so the antenna more than meets my expectations.

John ZS4S
BLOEMFONTEIN
SOUTH AFRICA

K0KVR Rating: 4/5 Feb 28, 2008 05:53 Send this review to a friend
Performs well - replace end isnulators  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my DX-LB for almost a year now. I use it more than any other antenna on 40, 80 and 160 meters. I have almost worked DXCC on 160. this was not easy and am definitely not competetive in a pileup. Last night, I had the same experience as the next operator in these reviews. It was snowing and all of a sudden when I turned on my amp, the SQR went thru the roof. I looked outside and half the dipole was on the ground. Upon inspection this morning, one end insulator was almost carbonized, and partially melted. It actually melted the rope attached at the other end. I then installed a cheap plastic egg inslator which lasted about 10 seconds, and now have a ceramic insulator installed. The beef I have on this is that I called the company when I put up the antenna, because I had read these reviews and asked if they were aware of the problem, and they stated they were, and that it had been fixed, and supposedly I had the new improved insulators. Not so! Anyway, the antenna works for me on 160, 80, and 40 meters since I am very limited in space and do not have high trees far apart.

WB2WIK Rating: 4/5 Feb 5, 2007 15:58 Send this review to a friend
Misunderstandings?  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had one of these for a year or so and after reading some of the reviews, it seems some users misunderstand the antenna...

First, it is not intended to work or even load up on any bands other than 1.8 - 3.5 - 7.0 MHz. Not on 20 meters, not on 30 meters, not on 15 meters, not on 6 meters. If yours loads up on some other band, that's a coincidental conjugate match you've struck with your particular length of coax, but the antenna doesn't work these other bands.

Second, the arc suppressor cartridge *must* be removed from the center insulator if you intend to ever operate off-resonance, which means basically if you ever intend to use the antenna on 160m at all; or if you intend to use it over more than about 50 kHz of 75/80 meters. If you leave the arc suppressor cartridge in place (it's factory installed), it *will* short out when you transmit...

Next, the only weak link I've found with the DX-LB is the end insulators, which are molded from some sort of thermoplastic resin that is definitely NOT up to this task. I had one fail the first time it rained and I transmitted with a kW on 160m; I replaced that one, and then later, the other one failed the same way. I replaced them both with ceramic insulators, but the original failures were a bit scary in that the insulators caught fire and melted. I found one melted, charred remains in my yard...

The ceramic replacements are fine and have been doing well, even in the rain. :-)

"Performance" on 40m is identical to a conventional 1/2-wave dipole, and on 80m is very, very similar to a full-sized 1/2-wave dipole as well, based on hundreds and hundreds of reports I get on the air ("Steve, you're very strong, and stronger than your neighbor Joe there who's in your neighborhood" is a common report received from stations 2000-3000-4000 miles away. I only make such comparisons if I can find a literal neighbor on the air at the same time -- another ham within a mile or two of me, similarly equipped. There are dozens of those to choose from, here in Los Angeles!)

Now, on 160m it's obviously a compromise and has narrow operating bandwidth. Despite that, it accounts reasonably well for itself. In the ARRL 160 contest (which is all CW, so usually doesn't cover more than about 50 kHz of the band), I have no problem making 30-40 contacts an hour, for as many hours as I stay up (zzzzzzzzzzz). I've worked a lot of the Caribbean, South America and the Pacific but have serious trouble getting into Europe on 160. However, most other guys in southern CA also don't do well into Europe unless they have very good antennas, so I don't feel so bad.

In all, I'd give the antenna a "5" except for the weak end insulators. If A-D would use ceramic or glass instead, I'd probably give it a "5" then.

WB2WIK/6

KP4ZW Rating: 3/5 Feb 4, 2007 18:59 Send this review to a friend
Ok antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought one recently and it performs well on 40 and 20M without a tuner. It is too narrow on 80 and 160 meters therefore a tuner is needed. For a trap multiband dipole I think it performs ok but definitively it is not worth the money.

K3ICH Rating: 2/5 Dec 22, 2006 06:12 Send this review to a friend
Expensive for what you get.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had one up for a couple years and agree that it's performance on 40 is typical of a full size dipole, but 80 and 160 were disappointing. The useable bandwidth on 160 was more like a mobile whip, about +/- 8 kHz. The antenna DID work marginally on 80/160, but you can do a lot better for $120. I replaced it with a two wire per leg dipole, one wire with 80 meter traps for 80/160 and the other leg with 40 meter traps for 60/40 coverage. I used the Unadila traps. The shape is that of a lazy "Z" extending the 160 meter wires where ever they fit. This works like a full size dipole on all four bands. It is possible to tune the DX-LB lower in frequency if you happen to trim too much off, by adding a short piece of stiff wire from the ends of the "traps". I was able to get the center frequency of the DX-LB dead on where I wanted it with that method.

A much more reasonable alternative is a Lew McCoy special....a dipole as long as you can make it, fed with open wire line and a tuner. Most local's suggest 190 feet total as a good compromise, but I wanted to try the trap approach first

K3LL Rating: 1/5 Dec 21, 2006 17:09 Send this review to a friend
Good SWL Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm not impressed with the DX-LB.

I bought a DX-LB as an experiment and installed it as an inverted vee, replacing my 40m inverted vee, to see how things would go on 80 and 160.

Bottom line that I took it down and used the wire to make a trapped 80/40 inverted vee. The DX-LB coils are now in my scrap bin.

1. Performance on 40 compared to inv vee is fine as expected since it is full size on 40m.

2. 80/160 2:1 SWR Bandwidth is narrow as expected, but not easy (if at all possible) to move the reasonance point. I gave up on it thinking it would have been better to install it as a flat top than an inv vee.

3. Two emails to AlphaDelta remain unanswered, even after complying with their spam filter.

For much less money I bought two 40m unadilla traps and went for an 80/40 trapped inv vee. Plus the antenna can be easily trimmed to where you want to operate. I can use the tuner on 160 and basically get the same performance that I did from the DX-LB. I do think the DX-LB would make a great SWL antenna though or it will be fine if you are happy using a tuner to fool your transmitter all the time.