Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Kenwood TS-520S Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-520S
Kenwood TS-520S Reviews: 101 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $ts520s
Description: Kenwood TS 520
More info: http://ts-520s

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-520S.

WD6GLA Rating: 5/5 Dec 20, 2010 23:50 Send this review to a friend
Its all been said before ...  Time owned: more than 12 months
These are some of Kenwoods best efforts . The 520 /530 series and the 820/830 rigs are real radios . Excellent performers and tough as nails . Every manufacture has their golden years , Yeasu had the 101 series and Icom has had theirs . Good stuff . These things will still be going when the newer gear will have died because you cant get parts to service them . I've got a 520S , bought it new many many years ago , and its still going like new .... like a Timex .

N7BDY
Bob

K7NNG Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2010 06:39 Send this review to a friend
Absolutely great rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned several of the 500 line of Kenwood.
they are all great, and beat the new stuff when it comes to just playing radio.
Too bad there are some that strip them down for parts and sell them, when they are working rigs.
I have been looking for a "deal" on one for several weeks now.
I think I will again collect the 520s and 530s models.

N8EHW Rating: 5/5 Dec 18, 2010 18:18 Send this review to a friend
I REALLY LIKE THESE RIGS  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently decided to get back into the hobby after a 15 year absence, and was overwhelmed by the look of all the newer gear. All those buttons, and interfaces, and software, and dollar signs. Picked up a 520S with a MC-50 and speaker on ebay, put up 40 and 80 meter inverted V’s, and started filling up logbook pages again.

Same story as most everyone else with this rig…sounds great on both ends…rock solid frequency stability…tough as nails. I don’t really know what else you would need in a rig unless you were just trying to impress your buddies…like that would ever happen.

For those of us who just enjoy the radio part of amateur radio, you can’t beat the Kenwood hybrids.

Hope to run into you on the bands so you can hear this great sounding old workhorse.

73's - N8EHW

NN2X Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2010 20:04 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had the Kenwood line, including 530, 850, which were stolen, All were great rigs

I just obtain the 520s (Loaned)!

Bottom line, what a great rig, receives well, transmit audio is outstanding, tuning is a breeze for the transmit. What more you need for a rig that costs a few hundred dollars...

Great radio!

Best

NN2X Tom Wright

KX7P Rating: 5/5 Dec 1, 2010 22:16 Send this review to a friend
CLASSIC HF  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The Kenwood TS-520S was my first HF transciever. I still have it and it still works good. I still get great audio reports from it. It's a proven performer and you can still hear many of them on the air today.

You can still buy one used for about $250 to $300, which can be an inexpensive way to get on HF and learn a little about tubes. It's a simple to operate radio, but you will need to perform a simple tune-up procedure before operating. Nothing complicated about this radio at all.

Pick up one of these classic HF radios and enjoy a piece of amateur radio history.

VE4BDF Rating: 5/5 Sep 29, 2010 08:11 Send this review to a friend
Cornerstone Radio.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I currently operate the TS-520S as my primary radio and it has become my station cornerstone. This is a foundation radio, it has served to teach me to deal with microphones, forced me to learn to operate amplifers with it's tube final. It has made me operate without a digital readout and the old school dial with ease. It is stable and has very fine power output. I get good reception and have had great audio reports from my transmissions. It is fun to operate on the regular bands 80, 40 ,and 20 and will move me into 15 and 10 meter bands as propagation improves. I am new to HF for only a year and this radio has helped me grow as a sutiable operator. I hope to have it running for some years to go.

WHALER13 Rating: 5/5 Sep 22, 2010 20:54 Send this review to a friend
My 1st Rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just purchased this beauty from the original owner. Which also included the SP-520 and Shure Mic. and G5RV. The condition is like new. I researched a lot of transceivers and decided on TS-520s with help from Ehams reviews as well.(it had to be old school and not digital) Next step I'll be taking my tech test. I'm looking forward to getting on the air. Now I am in the market for the right antenna tuner.(thinking about a Dentron Monitor Jr) Any ideas out there? Thanks to the gentleman that sold me the rig, And all of you who wrote the reviews,I'm almost there. WHALER13

AD5VJ Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2010 18:21 Send this review to a friend
Very nice Radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I had heard of these radios for years after being licensed. I couldn't afford anything then but the older 'boat-anchor' type radios and whatever I could afford to build from buying used parts.

Those days are long past and now I have had many different radios including many Icoms, Yaesu's (including the 920, MKV FT-1000MP, and a Kenwood TS-2000 and many others.

I really liked the sound coming from this radio, the stability after a 20 min warm up and the solid transmit, good keying also.

Excellent on CW rx and many unsolicited compliments on the clearness of the code and the ssb audio on transmit with the MC-50 mic.

If you have a chance don't hesitate to get one.

73 es gud dx,
Bob AD5VJ

N5IVZ Rating: 5/5 Dec 13, 2009 19:13 Send this review to a friend
miss it  Time owned: more than 12 months
had one years ago and it was great... hold on to yours if you still own one...

VK4LA Rating: 5/5 Dec 13, 2009 18:07 Send this review to a friend
A GOOD OL BUS  Time owned: more than 12 months
I OWN 3 OF THESE TRANSCEIVERS ,AND HAVE HAD NO TROUBLE,WITH THEM.
VALVES ARE GETTING HARDER TO COME ACROSS FOR THE DRIVER AND pa STAGE,OTHER THAN THAT ,A GREAT HF RADIO.