Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | MFJ-1662 Manual Screwdeiver Mobile Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-1662 Manual Screwdeiver Mobile Antenna
MFJ-1662 Manual Screwdeiver Mobile Antenna Reviews: 6 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $129.95
Description: 2M-40M mobile or fixed antenna. Uses a 4-1/2' telescoping whip for mobile operation & a 10' telescoping whip for fixed operation.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com

You can write your own review of the MFJ-1662 Manual Screwdeiver Mobile Antenna.

KD7LSQ Rating: 0/5 Nov 15, 2011 13:26 Send this review to a friend
Disappointed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I must have purchased a defective one, and the other in my HRO must have been defective as well. No matter how much metal I hung off that thing for ground radials I could not get the SWRs within a safe range. Adjusting the position of the coil up or down had absolutely no affect on the SWRs. I returned my for a refund. The YouTube video of this antenna is what attracted me to it with its simple adjustment...not so.

NZ5L Rating: 5/5 Jul 26, 2011 13:41 Send this review to a friend
works well within its design limits  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have only had my 1661 for a few weeks, but have worked some DX and had fun with it. For good results, 8 or more radials should be used. Also, a matching coil at the base of the main coil seems necessary to get a low SWR. Without an SWR analyzer of some kind, I think tuning would be extremely difficult, as a small change in the collar position makes a BIG change (several hundred Kc) in resonance! Still, it is, light, convenient, and fun, plus reasonably priced. Deserves consideration if portable operation is your thing.

VE4DS Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2005 12:10 Send this review to a friend
It works great on my 18 wheeler ,easy install.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased 1661 mfj from AES/Wickcliffe,Ohio.Works great easy install on my 18 wheeler.I have owned every mobile antenna imaginable.This is an efficient way to get on Hf .I also use an MFJ-910 mobile matcher w/1661.I add 270 pf. to get a 1.5 match on 20 meters.No motors to burn out and wires to install to momentary switches,very simple setup and have had many qso's with 599 reports.The crowd loves it!73 de Darrell in Winnipeg,Canada

W7AV Rating: 5/5 Dec 11, 2004 19:20 Send this review to a friend
Works as Advertised  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the MFJ-1661 and when used as it was intended, it performs well. Can't believe a ham stick can get close to this performance. It was designed for "Portable" operation from the car. With the whip fully extended the entire unit is just over 11' tall. I use it mounted to a big mag mount on top of my truck, with a "Quik" release mount it goes up fast from under 2' to 11'+. Tuning is easy, and I can get it down to 1.2 to 1 with good band width considering what it is. For 40m they supply a loading coil. NOT to be used mobil (too tall).

DG7JX Rating: 4/5 Oct 8, 2004 01:49 Send this review to a friend
Good value (MFJ 1661)  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I own the 1661 model (40m...6m) and I am quite satisfied with the performance. The 3m long telescopic segment is not very solid, but the rest of the antenna is. It performs very similar to the well known hamsticks (also known as PRO-AM or Iron Horse). Adjusting the antenna manually makes it cheaper than motorized ones, but with more inconvenience.

KC5LVW Rating: 3/5 Dec 18, 2003 10:34 Send this review to a friend
Cautious  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This antenna has performed as well as my Hamstick style antennas when it works. Problems I found were the use of a telescoping whip for mobile ops. Mine didn't always maintain electrical contact while mobile. Doesn't tell you in the advertismant that you will need loading coils for at least 40M & below if you eant to get to near 50 ohms impedance. The manuall tells you this but offers no suggestions for size or how to fashion the coils. With the sliding collar facing up with finger stock visible, I question whether water intrusion, dust, road grime, etc will prematurely shorten the life of the antenna. The antenna does work but seems a little fragile to me.