Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Valor/Proam AB-5 HF mobile antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Valor/Proam AB-5 HF mobile antenna
Valor/Proam AB-5 HF mobile antenna Reviews: 4 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $99
Description: 4-band (configurable) mobile antenna.Separate resonnators
for each band.

You can write your own review of the Valor/Proam AB-5 HF mobile antenna.

WB5ITT Rating: 5/5 Jun 5, 2006 12:13 Send this review to a friend
Good antenna for the money  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had the AB5 for over 15 years. Bought it to run on my company van at former job...mounted it too high on the van and with a spring, it laid back too much in the wind (was worried about it coming loose and, like an arrow, launching into the car behind me!). Had to go to something else. I have used it on my S10 Blazer since with no issues with the mount on the trialer hitch area.

It has LOTS of setscrews and they can work loose. Need better way of securing the mast, etc in the mount (drill thru and use a bolt and nut maybe? or heavy cotter pins?)

BUT as for performance, it works!! I use it on 20-10 with the horiz tuning whips and put a Hustler triband adaptor on the top and got the 80 and 40 to work together there as well....I ALSO got a Hustler 17mtr and 12mtr elements and used them on the extra holes (the 80 was in the center to secure it and the 40, 17 and 12 went around the outside)...got all BUT the 17 to work ok. The 17mtr Hustler coil with the whip as is resonates around 16Mhz..and need to be cut MUCH shorter. Could be interaction with the other coils, not sure. BEFORE I did this mod, I tried running the antenna as a fixed temp antenna. With 4 60ft radials as the ground plane and it mounted on a RadioShack vent pipe on top of a house, it worked GREAT!! SWR and bandwidth was right down the center of the specs and it talked on all 5 bands with no problems...As a mobile antenna, the solid mast is a bit heavy and if you MUST use a spring, I suggest an OLD Motorola STIFF spring they sold with their lowband whips for commercial LMR...otherwise, the current springs are way too limber. Only thing that has happened is one of the covers over a whip came off..need to glue them better or keep an eye on them...

For over 15 years and it has held up all this time is a testiment to its construction.

KI4ECW Rating: 5/5 Jan 16, 2005 07:38 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Product!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a great HF multiband mobile antenna for the money. This is one well made, sturdy, and mechanically and electrically sound product!

It covers 10, 15, 20, 40, and 80 meters without a tuner. A tuner gives you 6, 12, 17, and more bandwith on the other bands. The manufacturer does not mention additional bands and these results may vary with different installations and rigs.

It takes a couple of hours to assemble, mount, and tune the antenna. A good ground to the vehicle chassis is an absolute MUST. I opted for a side bumper mount. I run an SUV and this gives me unobstructed access to the rear hatch.

The antenna is between six and seven feet tall depending on whether you use the 40 meter or 75/80 meter top resonator.

You can only run one or the other but not both at the same time. In other words, you can have 10-15-20-40 meters or 10-15-20-80 meters by changing the top coil. The coils unscrew in less than a minute. I keep the extra coil in my vehicle for quick changes.

After tuning I got a 1.2 SWR on 10-20-40-80 and a 1.8 on 15. The approximate bandwith without using a tuner is:

80 36 khz
40 60 khz
20 150 khz
15 200 khz
10 500 khz

If you use a tuner you get full coverage on everything but 80 meters. It goes to about 400 khz before you start losing efficiency. Additionally, I'm able to use 6, 12, and 17 meters with a tuner.

I've been able to work North America without any trouble and even had a few DX contacts running 100 watts out of my Yaesu FT-897D mobile. The AB5-T is rated for 250 watts PEP.

Since I already owned the FC-30 automatic tuner, I use it with the AB5-T. It more than doubles the bandwith on everything but 80 meters and you get about 400 khz there. But, you can get excellent results without a tuner.

This set up is very hassle free and gets better results than the typical 10-80 mechanical screwdriver system when a tuner is employed. In fact, it's just about idiot proof with an automatic tuner.

I bought mine at http://www.radio-ware.com for $79.95. They're available from most of the major ham dealers but run from $99.95 to $129.95.

The AB5-T does get some motion when the 80 meter coil is attached but I haven't found a need to guy it. It's been tested at 80 mph on the interstate and over some rough country roads, too.

The only negative about the antenna was that I had to shop around for an antenna stud with an extra long 3/8 x 24 connection.

I initially used one with a shorter screw that got only 3 or 4 turns into the AB5-T base and over time the motion / vibration kept loosening the antenna on the mount. A longer antenna stud from the local radio shack did the trick.

Considering cost, performance, ease of installation, and aesthetics, the Valor AB5-T manufactured by Astatic is a jewel!!!

N9KO Rating: 4/5 Jun 28, 2004 21:27 Send this review to a friend
Good antenna on 10 - 20 meters  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am owned this antenna for about 3 years. It does a good job on 10 through 20 meters. 40 and 80 meters leave something to be desired, but what do you expect from a small antenna. For Field Day 2004 I made a small tripod base and used this in my back yard on 10 - 40 meters. It did a credible job. It is more convenient than the monoband hamsticks, with similar performance. Good value for the price.

VA2DV Rating: 3/5 Dec 19, 2003 23:40 Send this review to a friend
Put you on the air.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have used this antenna as a semi-permanent
setup on my balcony for a few months.The mobile
antenna was mounted with a mirror mount on the
metal railing of the balcony.10-15-20 performance
was acceptable with some good dx.80m and 40m were marginal at best.I was able to check-in into local
nets but my signal was awful.Can make an easy
appliance-type solution for someone how dont
want to invest a fortune and get on the air fast
on many bands.