Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Directional (Yagi, quad, etc.) | Cushcraft A148-10 Help

Reviews Summary for Cushcraft A148-10
Cushcraft A148-10 Reviews: 15 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $129.95
Description: 10 element 2 meter yagi beam

You can write your own review of the Cushcraft A148-10.

N4PPG Rating: 5/5 Nov 27, 2011 17:33 Send this review to a friend
actually pretty good  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had some trepidation in purchasing this antenna, but after owning it a year, I'm quite pleased. Easy assembly, has been rugged and is <1.5 SWR across the entire band and virtually flat in the SSB region where I use it. Can be used with a small rotor (I use an AR35). Does droop as mentioned about 1 inch over the length but without affecting the performance. It seems to be a solid 9db antenna and overall, Im very pleased with it...

W3TEZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2011 21:42 Send this review to a friend
AWESOME!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just installed mine yesterday in an eave mount on the house at about 30 feet. put it in a hygain ar35 rotator on a 8 foot mast, from buffalo,ny i can work almost all of southern ontario at night and in the early morning. i can hit repeaters between 80-125 miles away and have between a s7 and full scale signal on all of them. glad i went with this antenna, never will go back to a ground plane or any type of vertical antenna. When it comes down to VHF/UHF, i never will use a ground plane again, will always go with a HO loop, yagi, quad, or some sort of directional antenna other than a ground plane.

N5UWY Rating: 5/5 Jun 21, 2010 13:27 Send this review to a friend
2200 km with 100 W  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Got mine used from an SK. He'd been using it vertical, but I'm not that into FM so I flipped it horizontal. Despite the years of being in the air, it still functions well. Minor cleaning when I put it back up summer 2009 (FD morning, actually) and it was good to go. SWR is pretty flat across the whole 2-m band, mostly around 1.5:1 or 1.7:1 or so. I'm sure if I worked at it, I could get that down lower in the SSB sub-band.

Best Tropo with this antenna is about 500 km (EM15 -> EM31) and best Es is 2200 km (FN31). I think that's pretty good for 100W fed through LMR400.

VK2VHF Rating: 4/5 Feb 3, 2009 17:20 Send this review to a friend
early days but happy days  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Easy to assemble and instructions are good. Oddly my box contained extra nuts and washers to what is stated in the parts list. I suppose more is better than less.

I agree with another reviewer that the boom sections only overlap by 2 inches and this could have been made slighter longer to increase overall rigidity. But the design as it stands is robust.

I don't have it up in the air yet but so far I am quite satisfied. Cheers, Adrian.

N1RIK Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2008 21:07 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antenna!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had this antenna now for almost a year, and bought it used (It's really the A144-10 model). Even though I have it on a mast at only 22 ft. AGL and 50-watts of power, I've been able to work stations on Tropo from New Brunswick to Floria from my QTH here in North Carolina. Also have used this beam with some E-skip contacts to Texas and Kansas. I have not had any SWR issues in the rain with this antenna since I've wrapped the connector with silicon self-fusing wrap. With it's performance, I don't feel the need to upgrade it, but may purchase a 300-watt amp in the near future. Local groundwave does allow me to get up to 200 miles out, and can work some of the "Big Gun" stations up to 300 miles away with no enhancement on SSB. I'm impressed for a measley $85 that I paid for it. NICE!!

N1RIK Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2008 21:06 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antenna!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had this antenna now for almost a year, and bought it used. Even though I have it on a mast at only 22 ft. AGL and 50-watts of power, I've been able to work stations on Tropo from New Brunswick to Floria from my QTH here in North Carolina. Also have used this beam with some E-skip contacts to Texas and Kansas. I have not had any SWR issues in the rain with this antenna since I've wrapped the connector with silicon self-fusing wrap. With it's performance, I don't feel the need to upgrade it, but may purchase a 300-watt amp in the near future. Local groundwave does allow me to get up to 200 miles out, and can work some of the "Big Gun" stations up to 300 miles away with no enhancement on SSB. I'm impressed for a measley $85 that I paid for it. NICE!!

Anonymous Rating: 0/5 May 4, 2008 19:30 Send this review to a friend
GOOD Antenna  Time owned: months
I think this antenna is well worth the money and your consideration but it is not without flaws.
I am not really experienced with yagis but I understand the principle of boom length and gain. I have had both the 148-3s and the 124WB. T

W8WLC Rating: 5/5 Jun 4, 2006 13:58 Send this review to a friend
Super product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Put this up at 30 ft for FM use. Performance is excellant VSWR at 1.2-1 per assembly instructions. Assembly was easy about 1/2 hour from out of the box to ready to go in the air. I didn't have any problems with hardware being too short, on the center boom it would be nice to have an additional 1/16 inch to work with, but no problems. On the air tests show a very sharp beamwidth which is great for getting rid of the Chicago area QRM our local repeater gets quite a bit of. For the price this is an excellant antenna for either weak signal use or FM. To tell the like it really is, I had a 13B2 buried in the garage attic, I didn't feel like spending a couple of hours up there in the heat digging it out so I purchased this antenna. I am glad I did.

KA3NXN Rating: 3/5 Apr 30, 2006 12:56 Send this review to a friend
Works ok, some issues though  Time owned: more than 12 months
I agree with KI4MYD on the length of a few short screws. My other assembly issue is with the clamp used to set the SWR. A very important clamp I must admit. On mine I locked down the screw as tight as it would go and the clamp would still spin on the element freely. I had to put some conductive material between the clamp and the element so it would grab tight and not move around. I also was missing one element of one length and got 2 of another. Fortunatly I was able to shorten the one spare element to make the element that was missing. If this was my first beam antenna, these minor issues could have been show stoppers, if one didn't have basic intuition or expierence to make the nececessary corrections like I had done. If I had never used any other antenna like the M-Squared or a K1FO antenna, then I would say that this is a top performer. Having used the others, this is at best, a poor performer. Quality wise & performance wise the Cushcraft does not even hold a candle to the M-Squared or the K1FO. If price is your biggst factor, then go with the Cushcraft. If performance is, then go with the M-Squared or the K1FO. Another excellent performer, but not as sturdy to the elements is a good old cubicle quad. You can build them very easily or purchase them commercially from the folks at Cubex. Do your homework before you build or buy.

KI4MYD Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2006 10:27 Send this review to a friend
Just Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Had the antenna up for about 3 weeks now and it is amazing in the clear.

Assembly can be frustrating because a couple of the screws Cushcraft includes with their product just aren't long enough to put everything on them (washers, lockwashers, nut, etc.), so in a couple places I simply left off the washer. Assembly can be done inside if you leave the boom apart in 3 sections (i.e. attach the elements and construct the driven element), then take it ouside and assemble the boom in full length.

Antenna tunes up excellent. We managed to get the SWR 1.1:1 across the major part of the band and the SWR peaks at 1.2:1.

I am using it verticle for repeater and simplex use. Because I'm surrounded by such a large number of trees I can't get out quite like I want to in all directions, but for the areas that are clear, I can now key repeaters 50mi+ away with 5-10 watts (I had to use 50w on my verticle) and the antenna is only at about 40ft. It really brings in the simplex activity and the directionality of the antenna is pretty specific. It handles wind well because it's not very bulky and the elements are slim. Pair it up with low loss coax and this will be the best antenna investment you ever made. The price difference between this and the 13b2 is kind of steep so if you don't want to invest the extra, this will still do an amazing job.