Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Directional (Yagi, quad, etc.) | Cushcraft A148-10 Help

Reviews Summary for Cushcraft A148-10
Cushcraft A148-10 Reviews: 15 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $129.95
Description: 10 element 2 meter yagi beam

You can write your own review of the Cushcraft A148-10.

NE0P Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2006 08:50 Send this review to a friend
On my second one  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had one of these up for almost 2 years now. Put it up the morning of the CQVHF contest after having to redo the mounting hardware a bit (I bought it used). The first one I bought was replaced shortly afterwards with a 13B2. There was probably a little improvement but not really noticable. For the price difference this is probably the way to go unless you plan on stacking a couple together. The antenna is well built, easy to assemble, and tunes great across the entire 2 meter band.

I have used these on meteor scatter, 2 meter Eskip, tropo, and the satellites with good performance. Last summer worked from Southwest Oklahoma (EM04) to Illinois, Minnesota, and Iowa on Tropo, and then to PA, MI, and OH on 2 meter Eskip.

This is a lightweight, fairly small antenna that you can turn with any rotor. Highly recommended for 2 meter SSB or CW work.

W8GTX Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2005 00:32 Send this review to a friend
Another good one  Time owned: more than 12 months
In hindsight I should have purchased the 13B2 for it's better gain. No issues what so ever with this antenna. Easy to tune and has held up for close to 10 years now.

K7VO Rating: 5/5 May 28, 2004 20:23 Send this review to a friend
Reliable performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my 10 element Cushcraft from a local ham who had replaced his with something "better" for all of $25. It was already assembled so I can't comment on building the antenna. What I can say is that this beam is sharp and that I manage to get out as well as I'd expect even running QRP (anywhere from 1-10W) SSB/CW with the beam mounted horizontally and up about 37'. Thanks to a change in the local antenna ordinance it will probably be moved up to 45' or so soon to improve my ability to get out, but I see no reason to change the antenna. It works and has survived an ice storm and a tree falling on it with only minor (easily repairable) element bending. I'm satisfied.

G4EDY Rating: 4/5 Feb 23, 2004 11:51 Send this review to a friend
Works Well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this in a hurry to replace my 30 year old 8 element J Beam that broke a week before my 30 year anniversary of first becoming an active ham on 2m!!

It went together well, instructions are well written, no shortages, took about an hour.

Observations as follows:

1.Boom is a little lightweight, the end sections only telescope about 3 inches into the centre section and there is a very obvious droop at each end of the boom.

2.Gamma match was spot on with factory dimensions, SWR 1.2:1 at 144.5MHz.

3.Performance seems to match with what you could expect from the boom length, a dB up on the J Beam.

4.E Plane beamwidth is wide at 40 degrees which helps when searching for stations but not so good if you have a noise problem from a particular direction.

5.Overall construction is 'lightweight', great as far as the XYL is concerned!

Overall a fine product but a little expensive in the UK ($180 ish), some more technical stuff in the manual would be useful such as tuning info for optimising for 144-146MHz that we have here in the UK.

Would I buy another, well actually I am considering stacking another one!!

Martin G4EDY

KB7EA Rating: 5/5 Dec 21, 2003 00:13 Send this review to a friend
Works great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this antenna up since the spring of 1995 at about 40 feet. I found it easy to construct, and the antenna works great. I have really shocked some hams that I heard on simplex by giving them a call from the other side of the Cascade mountains and over 100 miles away. It's not every day that a guy will ask me to QSL on 2 meters. I can literally work every thing I can hear, and I can hear stations that others in town have never heard.