Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | ICOM IC-735 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-735
ICOM IC-735 Reviews: 122 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $849.95
Description: Compact Mobile HF Xcvr
More info: http://www.rigpix.com/icom/ic735.htm

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-735.

KB0GLN Rating: 5/5 Jun 10, 2017 05:10 Send this review to a friend
Another can't go wrong review  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought 1 of these rigs off ebay as a "tech special". 1st local oscilator would not adjust properly after 2 different value trimmer caps i opted to replace oscilator with tcxo. Has operated faultless since. The receiver is very pleasant, easily my favorite for "sandbagging". and get good audio reports when on the air with it. this is a great basic rig without all the unneeded bells and whistles.

KP4WF Rating: 5/5 Sep 11, 2016 10:34 Send this review to a friend
A Hidden Treasure  Time owned: more than 12 months
The 735 is an excellent radio for SSB, CW, AM and FM. Modulation with the original mike HM-12 is
very good. For a $350 radio in the used market, it
can't be beat. What else do we have? If you like to go to MARS clip D-33 & D-34 on the PLL board, then you can also go to 60 meters. This will also allow you to have a stable multi-mode signal generator source thru the range of 300 kHz to 30 Mhz. You will get full power output to app. 860 KHz. and about 4 watts at 475 KHz. If you want to enable the preamp, below 1.5 Mhz, short the collector and emitter of Q 75 on the main unit board. If you want to go QRP, connect the (-) side of a 9 volt battery in series thru a switch, a 2 Meg Ohms resistor and a 1 Meg ohm variable resistor thru a shielded cable to the ALC jack of the 735. The power output will be adjustable from 0-100 watts. The switch is used to turn the power off, when the rig is not in use. There are a few more simple mods in the internet, worth reading about. If you need a keyer like IC-EX 243, try Piexx. This information is submitted for instructional purpose only. If you don't have the knowledge, get your hands off the inside of the radio. If you want a cost effective Radio Amateur Station get a IC-735, a 20 Amp. 12 v.d.c. Power Supply, an Antenna Tuner, and some wire. It will cost you less than $500.00. Yes, I own two of them since 1990.
Enjoy ham radio, 73, Jose KP4WF

VE8AP Rating: 5/5 Sep 11, 2016 06:46 Send this review to a friend
I have 4 and want more   Time owned: more than 12 months
Well i now have 4 of these rigs I think i have said in a previous review i love them after owning 2 of them and how well they deal with my local noise compared to my previous 10-15 rigs I was sold simple effective and bullet proof 73's all

G0KMC Rating: 5/5 Jul 8, 2016 03:16 Send this review to a friend
Green stalwart  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ive had two of these green beauties. Sold the first in 1995 and instantly regreted it. Bought my second one in 1999 and I still have it. I love its ease of use, no annoying menues etc. I'm 95% CW op and the 735 is great for me. I have the 250hz filter and the guy that designed the variable bandpass/CW offset knew what he was doing. Down side the synth is a bit noisey by modern standards they it can hear MORE than my TS590s when the local QRM is loud.
Fixed the tuning sensor a few year back and the VCO caps were fixed by simply twiddling them to self clean them. I swapped over the RF power and squelch controls for convenience, set min power to 2 watts for QRP. I could go on..
All in all a solid and valued asset never to be parted with!

VE8AP Rating: 5/5 May 17, 2016 14:07 Send this review to a friend
CAN'T GO WRONG   Time owned: more than 12 months
Well I have 2 of these rigs and love them simple bullet proof little green beasts. I have worked the world with them and they have never failed me. they have great audio and have a excellent receiver if i could buy just one Rig it would be this mean green machine great radio.There getting harder to find so if you have one keep it under lock and key.

WA3YUR Rating: 5/5 Jun 2, 2015 23:10 Send this review to a friend
Still iconic, Still going strong!  Time owned: more than 12 months
After yaers of owning this minty little 735, I had half a mind to put mine up for sale... I mean I got a few rigs already, and my newer $exier gear was slowly displacing "Old Greenie".

I decided to set up a small station upstairs- The 735 had been dormant for awhile, but don't ya know that as soon as I fired her up, it was sweet love all over again!

Easy operation / Great audio / Numerous must have features - without going overboard with bells and whistles, or ENDLESS "get you lost" menus. The 735 is all business.

Old Greenie is HERE TO STAY!

KC4YLV Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2015 00:22 Send this review to a friend
Unkillable.  Time owned: more than 12 months
My 735 is an extension of my ham radio body. I know its every quirk (it's between 36 and 44 hz low depending on temp), I've probed its innards (fix that antenna jack!), I've racked up multipliers on contests on it, used it as a camping radio, used it as a stepstool, bashed out 75 watts of PSK31 all Saturday afternoon long, left it turned on AM broadcast hooked to a non-grounded long wire for six months at a time, thrown it in a box, taken it out a year later, and it always turns on and works perfectly the first time.

I keep eyeing the eBay auctions. Maybe it's time to get another. Pair of these things would be nice.

Old enough that it's through-hole components and you can work on it. New enough that you can hook a computer to it. Cut a wire and it's on 60 meters.

Go. Get one before I buy them all up.

KF5VZW Rating: 4/5 May 19, 2014 10:59 Send this review to a friend
Good first radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
While I am new to amateur radio I have been doing communications work for the past 30 years so I have seen a lot of systems come and go. This is my first HF transceiver and it has been very reliable and easy to learn and use. Not too many bells and whistles to confuse a new user but enough of the basic controls to make learning the hobby enjoyable and easy. If you are just getting started in amateur radio and you can pick up a working model for a fair price it would be a good buy. You will need to get an auto tuner to work more than one band with a G5RV, dipole, or other similar antenna. The LDG Z-100 plus works well with it. I have gotten good reports from over 50 countries with mine!

It does not have all of the features a new rig does but it will interface with the Tigertronics Signalink box. Get that and fldigi on a PC and you are ready to work digital modes!

The ONLY drawback so far is that at times I am asked to repeat my call sign even when conditions are ok. Never a problem with good conditions. It could be the conditions, coax, antenna or something else. Then again this is a radio made in the 80's. I am currently looking into an equalizer for the microphone and will try to repost when I get that working.

It is a very good starter radio for anyone on a budget, or a second rig.

VO1FZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2014 07:38 Send this review to a friend
Keeps winding up on my desk over many years  Time owned: more than 12 months
Been an Amateur for over 40 years and had a lot of rigs during that time. Most of them have been second hand and I've enjoyed most of them too.

Among my favorites are the FT-990 and my current IC-765. But the rig that keeps creeping back on my desk is my lovely minty 735. I have some turmoil about which rig I like better for my main operation position - the 765 or the 735. Certainly the 765 has more features, and I like large radios, but the 735 is often much easier to use (ergonomically) because it has less to fuss with. I've never done a real A/B test on the receivers, but I've never noticed anything lacking on my good old 735. I now have a couple of lights that have extinguished, but it's otherwise flawless. When used with the AT-150 tuner, it's a great little do-it-all solution.

Asthetically, it's definitely a bit challenged. But I use HRD these days, and I don't have to stare at the rig all that often.

Anyway, if you find one as a second rig that's in good shape, I'd say grab it. But, be warned, it will tempt you away from that primary radio you thought you liked so much. At least, it does for me.

A stellar Icom effort. Excepting the cold solder joints that I've never had, but others have.

KB9QHB Rating: 5/5 Dec 18, 2013 04:27 Send this review to a friend
A+++++  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I picked a 735 up for $150 with problem only putting out 50 watts signal come and go 10 and 20 meter did not work,but took a chance. this little voice in said buy it. it was a 9.5 look

brought it home did a search on ic-735 problem and found a list of common problems.

pulled it a part found a lot of bad solder joints. after i got done fixing and cleaning.

plugged her in an it all came back to life 100 watts all bands work. so i did a tune up and it look and preforms like new. and did not need any parts.

so i am am happy have a nice radio 9.5 all the way around for $150 and had to add no parts.

just a little TLC. its a KEEPER