Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | ICOM IC-735 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-735
ICOM IC-735 Reviews: 121 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $849.95
Description: Compact Mobile HF Xcvr
More info: http://www.rigpix.com/icom/ic735.htm

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-735.

KK4AXX Rating: 5/5 Dec 8, 2013 18:03 Send this review to a friend
Spectacular!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I was GIVEN this radio by a fellow HAM who felt a tad sorry for my poor old self when I was using a fourth-hand, used & abused, IC-751(NO "A"!).

All I can say is that it has exceeded ALL expectations in both RX & TX. It has great ears and a rich voice for what most consider these days to be a very basic radio.
My previous rigs are the previously mentioned IC-751 and a Heathkit built by my father-in-law.

KC7NYI Rating: 5/5 Nov 8, 2013 10:43 Send this review to a friend
great old radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
STOPPED TRANSMITTING ON NET LAST NIGHT. RADIO INDICATED IT WAS WORKING, SO DID ANTENNA TUNER. COME DAY LIGHT, CHECKED DIA POLES, ONE ANTENNA WAS ACCROSS THE OTHER, HIGH WINDS FOR TWO DAYS. GOT LUCKY. WORKS GREAT BULT LIKE A TANK. GOT OFF E-BAY FOR CLOSE TO $400.00, KNEW THAT WAS HIGH, BUT IN GOOD SHAPE. HAPPY

LU9WFN Rating: 5/5 Oct 26, 2013 08:57 Send this review to a friend
Infernal receiver! excellent transmitter.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well, aesthetics may or may not please everyone, great, great, great, great, great transceiver!

SV1OBG Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2013 23:53 Send this review to a friend
SV1 OBG  Time owned: more than 12 months
OTI KALYTERO ΥΠΑΡΧΕΙ ΑΥΤΗΝ ΤΗΝ ΕΠΟΧΗ ΕΝ ΕΤΗ 2013 ΣΕ ΣΧΕΣΗ ΜΕ ΠΟΛΛΑ ΜΟΝΤΕΛΑ ΕΧΟΥΝ ΠΕΣΕΙ ΑΠΑΝΩ ΟΛΕΣ ΟΙ ΜΟΝΤΙΦΙΚΕΣ ΚΑΙ ΤΟ ΡΑΔΙΟ ΜΙΛΑΜΕ ΠΕΤΑΕΙ ΣΤΑ ΟΥΡΑΝΙΑ ΒΑΖΕΙ ΚΑΤΩ ΜΕΓΑΘΗΡΙΑ ΤΟΥ ΕΙΔΟΥΣ.ΕΙΝΑΙ ΑΥΤΟ ΠΟΥ ΛΕΝΕ Η ΓΡΙΑ ΚΟΤΑ ΕΧΕΙ ΤΟ ΖΟΥΜΙ.ΚΑΝΕΝΑ ΑΛΛΟ ΣΧΟΛΙΟ ΑΨΟΓΟ ΟΛΟΚΛΗΡΩΤΙΚΑ

G7HZZ Rating: 4/5 Dec 1, 2012 08:35 Send this review to a friend
Good basic rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned one for 20 years. It is quite a basic rig, and it lacks a few useful features, but overall it is a very good TRX. Reports on the audio quality are always good.

The receiver is quiet and with the pass band tuning and notch filter, reception is mostly good and clear. Adding a separate noise filter ( I use a Datong FL-2) makes pulling signals out of the noise just as good as having (audio) DSP. Mine is deaf below 1.3MHz - I think it always has been - but I don't use those frequencies.

Memories are very limited (10 plus two for the scan function) and scrolling through the frequencies can be a bit of a chore using the Ham Band / MHz/ KHz buttons. The frequency display is only 5 digits, which is sometimes irritating. However, it is easy to control from a computer using a simple (homebrew) interface.

The tuning knob on mine seized after 20 years, due to solidified grease; however, fixing it is not especially difficult.

The bottom line is that despite its "clunkiness" I prefer to use it rather than an FT-897D.

K4TIN Rating: 5/5 Nov 12, 2012 20:21 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Inherited one along with the Icom SM-8 mike. This radio is very easy and quick to master. High performance, great starter rig, and the green exterior just seems friendly--perhaps a departure from today's black boxes.
I have worked a good bit of DX with it, including contests.
Lots of talk about the little plastic cover on the face breaking off, but it makes a difference who the owner is, doesn't it?

KG4COQ Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2012 22:02 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful old radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own 2 of these radios. 1 is on loan to a elderly ham and my 2nd one I just bought from a friend.
Also bought with radio #2 was a PS55 power supply.
Both radios perform flawlessly. With the reports of great audio and signals I have no problems to report here.
These radios are workhorses and are great as a first radio for operators whom are getting started on HF. The radios operation is very simple and the manual can be found on the internet in pdf format.
I found the first radio for $300.00 and the 2nd plus the PS55 power supply for $400.00 USD.
Find one grab it... Enjoy !!

KF5JOO Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2012 17:10 Send this review to a friend
Top notch performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
Picked this up at a hamfest almost two years ago for $300, and hooked to a G5RV at 35', I've worked plenty of DX stations. Good audio coming in, and lots of compliments on the audio going out. I'm using it with the stock, handheld mic.

ZS6DJD Rating: 5/5 Oct 10, 2012 00:46 Send this review to a friend
fine old lady from the 80's  Time owned: more than 12 months

A very good radio. I bought one four years ago to use as my spare radio. Works like a dream together with a turner + 3 b.mmike best modulation ever and with sb 200 linear very good fast becoming my main station, my other station is a Icom 7200 Collins 30 l 1 linear Icom sm 20 mike. 59 59+ By most guys with a rotate able dipole with both stations.

IZ0EAE Rating: 5/5 Jun 26, 2012 01:29 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio !!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great ...... I had two radio Icom IC 735, the first series was a very first and the second is that I still have one last set. Small but great!! Excellent reception and with his microphone mod Icom. SM8 good also in transmission. Single defect in the final version of the button starting of the engine ON / OFF by a few problems for the excessive load current on it. The problem is solved with a little money by buying a better quality switch on ebay. I can definitely say that this radio is excellent compared to other and owned by me, has always given good satisfaction.