Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | ICOM IC-735 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-735
ICOM IC-735 Reviews: 124 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $849.95
Description: Compact Mobile HF Xcvr
More info: http://www.rigpix.com/icom/ic735.htm

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-735.

VO1FZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2014 07:38 Send this review to a friend
Keeps winding up on my desk over many years  Time owned: more than 12 months
Been an Amateur for over 40 years and had a lot of rigs during that time. Most of them have been second hand and I've enjoyed most of them too.

Among my favorites are the FT-990 and my current IC-765. But the rig that keeps creeping back on my desk is my lovely minty 735. I have some turmoil about which rig I like better for my main operation position - the 765 or the 735. Certainly the 765 has more features, and I like large radios, but the 735 is often much easier to use (ergonomically) because it has less to fuss with. I've never done a real A/B test on the receivers, but I've never noticed anything lacking on my good old 735. I now have a couple of lights that have extinguished, but it's otherwise flawless. When used with the AT-150 tuner, it's a great little do-it-all solution.

Asthetically, it's definitely a bit challenged. But I use HRD these days, and I don't have to stare at the rig all that often.

Anyway, if you find one as a second rig that's in good shape, I'd say grab it. But, be warned, it will tempt you away from that primary radio you thought you liked so much. At least, it does for me.

A stellar Icom effort. Excepting the cold solder joints that I've never had, but others have.

KB9QHB Rating: 5/5 Dec 18, 2013 04:27 Send this review to a friend
A+++++  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I picked a 735 up for $150 with problem only putting out 50 watts signal come and go 10 and 20 meter did not work,but took a chance. this little voice in said buy it. it was a 9.5 look

brought it home did a search on ic-735 problem and found a list of common problems.

pulled it a part found a lot of bad solder joints. after i got done fixing and cleaning.

plugged her in an it all came back to life 100 watts all bands work. so i did a tune up and it look and preforms like new. and did not need any parts.

so i am am happy have a nice radio 9.5 all the way around for $150 and had to add no parts.

just a little TLC. its a KEEPER

KN0V Rating: 5/5 Dec 10, 2013 07:59 Send this review to a friend
Good, solid radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned two of these radios. Both were good, solid performers. Power output into a dummy load as measured on a Drake WH-7 wattmeter varied from a bit over 100 watts on 10M to 135 watts on 160, 80 and 40. Easy to operate.

KK4AXX Rating: 5/5 Dec 8, 2013 18:03 Send this review to a friend
Spectacular!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I was GIVEN this radio by a fellow HAM who felt a tad sorry for my poor old self when I was using a fourth-hand, used & abused, IC-751(NO "A"!).

All I can say is that it has exceeded ALL expectations in both RX & TX. It has great ears and a rich voice for what most consider these days to be a very basic radio.
My previous rigs are the previously mentioned IC-751 and a Heathkit built by my father-in-law.

KC7NYI Rating: 5/5 Nov 8, 2013 10:43 Send this review to a friend
great old radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
STOPPED TRANSMITTING ON NET LAST NIGHT. RADIO INDICATED IT WAS WORKING, SO DID ANTENNA TUNER. COME DAY LIGHT, CHECKED DIA POLES, ONE ANTENNA WAS ACCROSS THE OTHER, HIGH WINDS FOR TWO DAYS. GOT LUCKY. WORKS GREAT BULT LIKE A TANK. GOT OFF E-BAY FOR CLOSE TO $400.00, KNEW THAT WAS HIGH, BUT IN GOOD SHAPE. HAPPY

LU9WFN Rating: 5/5 Oct 26, 2013 08:57 Send this review to a friend
Infernal receiver! excellent transmitter.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well, aesthetics may or may not please everyone, great, great, great, great, great transceiver!

SV1OBG Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2013 23:53 Send this review to a friend
SV1 OBG  Time owned: more than 12 months
OTI KALYTERO ΥΠΑΡΧΕΙ ΑΥΤΗΝ ΤΗΝ ΕΠΟΧΗ ΕΝ ΕΤΗ 2013 ΣΕ ΣΧΕΣΗ ΜΕ ΠΟΛΛΑ ΜΟΝΤΕΛΑ ΕΧΟΥΝ ΠΕΣΕΙ ΑΠΑΝΩ ΟΛΕΣ ΟΙ ΜΟΝΤΙΦΙΚΕΣ ΚΑΙ ΤΟ ΡΑΔΙΟ ΜΙΛΑΜΕ ΠΕΤΑΕΙ ΣΤΑ ΟΥΡΑΝΙΑ ΒΑΖΕΙ ΚΑΤΩ ΜΕΓΑΘΗΡΙΑ ΤΟΥ ΕΙΔΟΥΣ.ΕΙΝΑΙ ΑΥΤΟ ΠΟΥ ΛΕΝΕ Η ΓΡΙΑ ΚΟΤΑ ΕΧΕΙ ΤΟ ΖΟΥΜΙ.ΚΑΝΕΝΑ ΑΛΛΟ ΣΧΟΛΙΟ ΑΨΟΓΟ ΟΛΟΚΛΗΡΩΤΙΚΑ

G7HZZ Rating: 4/5 Dec 1, 2012 08:35 Send this review to a friend
Good basic rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned one for 20 years. It is quite a basic rig, and it lacks a few useful features, but overall it is a very good TRX. Reports on the audio quality are always good.

The receiver is quiet and with the pass band tuning and notch filter, reception is mostly good and clear. Adding a separate noise filter ( I use a Datong FL-2) makes pulling signals out of the noise just as good as having (audio) DSP. Mine is deaf below 1.3MHz - I think it always has been - but I don't use those frequencies.

Memories are very limited (10 plus two for the scan function) and scrolling through the frequencies can be a bit of a chore using the Ham Band / MHz/ KHz buttons. The frequency display is only 5 digits, which is sometimes irritating. However, it is easy to control from a computer using a simple (homebrew) interface.

The tuning knob on mine seized after 20 years, due to solidified grease; however, fixing it is not especially difficult.

The bottom line is that despite its "clunkiness" I prefer to use it rather than an FT-897D.

K4TIN Rating: 5/5 Nov 12, 2012 20:21 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Inherited one along with the Icom SM-8 mike. This radio is very easy and quick to master. High performance, great starter rig, and the green exterior just seems friendly--perhaps a departure from today's black boxes.
I have worked a good bit of DX with it, including contests.
Lots of talk about the little plastic cover on the face breaking off, but it makes a difference who the owner is, doesn't it?

KG4COQ Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2012 22:02 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful old radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own 2 of these radios. 1 is on loan to a elderly ham and my 2nd one I just bought from a friend.
Also bought with radio #2 was a PS55 power supply.
Both radios perform flawlessly. With the reports of great audio and signals I have no problems to report here.
These radios are workhorses and are great as a first radio for operators whom are getting started on HF. The radios operation is very simple and the manual can be found on the internet in pdf format.
I found the first radio for $300.00 and the 2nd plus the PS55 power supply for $400.00 USD.
Find one grab it... Enjoy !!