Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC-735 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-735
ICOM IC-735 Reviews: 115 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $849.95
Description: Compact Mobile HF Xcvr
More info: http://www.rigpix.com/icom/ic735.htm

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-735.

KG4COQ Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2012 22:02 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful old radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own 2 of these radios. 1 is on loan to a elderly ham and my 2nd one I just bought from a friend.
Also bought with radio #2 was a PS55 power supply.
Both radios perform flawlessly. With the reports of great audio and signals I have no problems to report here.
These radios are workhorses and are great as a first radio for operators whom are getting started on HF. The radios operation is very simple and the manual can be found on the internet in pdf format.
I found the first radio for $300.00 and the 2nd plus the PS55 power supply for $400.00 USD.
Find one grab it... Enjoy !!

KF5JOO Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2012 17:10 Send this review to a friend
Top notch performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
Picked this up at a hamfest almost two years ago for $300, and hooked to a G5RV at 35', I've worked plenty of DX stations. Good audio coming in, and lots of compliments on the audio going out. I'm using it with the stock, handheld mic.

ZS6DJD Rating: 5/5 Oct 10, 2012 00:46 Send this review to a friend
fine old lady from the 80's  Time owned: more than 12 months

A very good radio. I bought one four years ago to use as my spare radio. Works like a dream together with a turner + 3 b.mmike best modulation ever and with sb 200 linear very good fast becoming my main station, my other station is a Icom 7200 Collins 30 l 1 linear Icom sm 20 mike. 59 59+ By most guys with a rotate able dipole with both stations.

IZ0EAE Rating: 5/5 Jun 26, 2012 01:29 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio !!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great ...... I had two radio Icom IC 735, the first series was a very first and the second is that I still have one last set. Small but great!! Excellent reception and with his microphone mod Icom. SM8 good also in transmission. Single defect in the final version of the button starting of the engine ON / OFF by a few problems for the excessive load current on it. The problem is solved with a little money by buying a better quality switch on ebay. I can definitely say that this radio is excellent compared to other and owned by me, has always given good satisfaction.

KA9OFM Rating: 5/5 Jun 4, 2012 21:34 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Work Horse  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought my IC-735 used and I have owned it since 2007. This radio is a little different in design in that it has a small smoke colored plastic door on it's face that covers lesser used controls such as VOX controls, NB, Mic Gain and RF Gain. It has AM /FM /CW /SSB operation modes and FM operation is one that a lot of the newer rigs don't have today. Unfortunately, there is no inboard DSP, but with the W9GR DSP III it makes a really excellent CW rig. Overall this is one of Icom's better workhorse HF radios. Icom should have kept making this radio as an entry level rig that has a few bells. As with all the Icom radios that I have owned the transmit audio is excellent. The VOX control works well with most headsets with the boom mikes. Also, the radio works well on the new digital modes with the 8 pin din ACC jack. Overall I love this rig, but it does have some negative issues. 1) Icom uses a RCA jumper cable to achieve audio input from the main board on the back of the radio and this can break if you are not careful. 2) If you need to replace any of the switches on the radio or any other parts Icom no longer stocks parts so if you intend on making this radio a keeper then you should buy a parts radio as well. If you end up with one that is in great shape you may not need to worry about a parts radio. If you pay $400 or less then you have got a great deal.

KG9H Rating: 5/5 Apr 24, 2012 15:26 Send this review to a friend
Great little radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I keep coming back to this radio, I have had maybe 5 of them. Each time I sit back and listen to the audio on the receiver, I am amazed on how clean they sound. If you want to have a real treat, connect it to an external speaker! Wow is all I am saying. As well as others in this timeframe of manufacture, they all have had problems of some issue. The 735's are prone to trimmer malfunction. But they can be replaced and once replaced you (again) have a great little radio. If you can find one that has the trimmers replaced it should be a keeper. Mine is front and center, right under an OMNI 7.
Icom, keep making keepers like this and the 706, you have a following!

N0RRS Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2012 16:37 Send this review to a friend
Great rig for the money  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned my IC-735 since 2007 now. This radio is somewhat unique because unlike the newer Icom radios it comes with FM. Also, it has a little plastic "door" which covers lesser used controls such as mic and rf gain. Overall this is one of Icom's workhorse HF radios. It is built solid and has exceptional receive audio for a non-DSP radio, transmit audio is very loud and steady, and the VOX control allows use with most headset or boom mikes. The radio works well on the new digital modes with the 8 pin din ACC jack. Conversion to 60m transmit is easy but does require removal of the PA unit. Overall I am giving this rig a rating of a 5, but it does have some drawbacks. First on the back of the radio Icom uses a RCA jumper cable to achieve audio input from the main board. Over time the RCA jacks can come loose from the circuit board if the jumper is bent or frequently removed. Second, Icom used PLASTIC carrier reference and VCO trimmer caps. THESE WILL FAIL! They are easily replaced by CERAMIC trimmer caps if you are technically skilled at soldering, otherwise it requires sending the radio off to Icom for repair. Third, the power switch is prone to failure. It is a special switch made by Icom and is expensive to replace. Last, as with all radios built in the late 1980's to mid 1990's Icom no longer carries parts for these radios, so a parts rig would be helpful if something goes bad. I have had to replace the trimmer caps, repair the RCA jacks and power switch, do a complete realignment of the radio, and replace the face plate. So after all the repair work, my rig is like new and should last me a life time. These are good rigs for the money and usually go for about $400 on the used market.

W2AJT Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2011 08:52 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned and used my IC-735 since 1992. I bought it used from AES- Orlando. I love this rig, for desk top, portable or mobile operation. It is rock solid in RX and TX. I purchased the auto keyer and filter for it, installed it and it works reliably. I highly recommend this rig to anyone. Con; The little clear door over the controls does not close properly but I ignore it. It drives my Ameritron AL-80A with no problem. I like Kenwood products for their TX audio quality but I like the RX quality of the ICOM. Purchase with confidence and have fun DXing.
Regards,
Tony W2AJT

VE7EA Rating: 5/5 Nov 18, 2011 12:35 Send this review to a friend
Built to Last  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have now owned my IC-735 for almost 24 years. It has been used in 6 different countries, in and out of mobile setups and spent 1.5 years in a 30' sailboat on the Australian east coast. In all that time I have only had to replace one switch (due to salt water ingress), one internal fuse (same problem) and re-tune the PL section (just recently). It still performs flawlessly and I use it about 10 hours per week. Coupled with a W9GR DSP III it has been a superb CW rig over the years.

W3SQE Rating: 5/5 Nov 10, 2011 06:23 Send this review to a friend
Hard to complain  Time owned: more than 12 months
This rig is really a keeper. My warning would be watch out for the RCA jumper between RX/TX on the back. It's easy to break the RCA from the board as there is no strain relief.

I get compliments all the time on the audio with the stock hand held mic. I used to think the filtering was substandard until I went to HRO and played with a 7800 which of course is better but not $7K better.

If you have a chance to get one by all means do. No internal PS so a nice mobile rig although not small and it does vent heat at the top.