Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Kenwood TS-480SAT Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-480SAT
Kenwood TS-480SAT Reviews: 213 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $1499.99
Description: 100 watts HF & 6m allmode portable and mobile transceiver w/ built-in antenna tuner
More info: http://www.kenwood.com/i/products/info/amateur/ts_480/

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-480SAT.

WA5DSS Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2017 12:15 Send this review to a friend
Great mobile SSB rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought a TS-480sat used off eBay about 3 years ago intending to experiment with remote operation between my apartment and a cabin with a large antenna. In checking it out from a single location I discovered it was a great, flexible, easy to use radio. To heck with remoting... I put it in my RAV4! I have used it on long vacation trips and in several QSO parties running mobile. Never have had a problem.

The features I find the most useful for mobile operation is the lighted buttons on front panel, the "click" tuning knob, the speaker in the control head, the noise blanker and the noise reduction filter. I also added the 1800 Hz if filter which is a must under noisy conditions.

On the negative side, I agree with some of the other reviewers about the CW keyer and antenna tuner. The keyer does not seem to support iambic B, so is difficult to use with fingers trained for that timing. The tuner has limited range compared to my other radios. I use neither of these features operating mobile, so they are not problems for my application.

Finally, I have been so happy with this radio, I recently purchased the "HX" model to get a stronger signal out during our present low sunspot cycle.

KA1BB Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2017 11:57 Send this review to a friend
Awesome radio in truck  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hi I got a TS 480sat last Christmas I have it mounted in my Peterbilt semi truck . It's mounted in the rear sleeper and the main unit is under the bunk it's wired directly to the batteries and I'm using an Chameleon V2L antenna. I've gotten 5-9 reports radio is a charm to run when the bands are active. I'm in the process of trying some new antenna setups since I travel a lot in the truck it's hard TO get a good setup. I've been wanting a Tarheel maybe or with a budpole and telescoping mast when I'm parked now that would I cool.anyway I'll just take it day for day 73s.

W8MPX Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2016 20:36 Send this review to a friend
EXCELENT RADIO  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
HAVE THIS RADIO IN THE CAR WITH VERY GOOD RESULTS LOUD AUDIO ANN DON'T NEEA A ANTENNA TUNER THE RADIO HAVE ONE

LZ1ZJ Rating: 5/5 Aug 5, 2016 05:26 Send this review to a friend
Exellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
Exellent transceiver for money!
Really very good RX one of the best I have heard with narrow 500 and 270 CW filters.
Great working with full power on RTTY after fan modification.Aded second fan.

KD6NXI Rating: 3/5 Jul 17, 2016 21:49 Send this review to a friend
Convoluted interface.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Don't like the front panel. Buttons around the tuning dial are hard to see and I hate multi function buttons in general. Confusing. Power output also a bit low.

K4NBC Rating: 5/5 Jun 26, 2016 11:46 Send this review to a friend
Great rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Love this kenwood ts480sat it has some great features and potentials as well

W3MSH Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2016 06:56 Send this review to a friend
Great specs for the money!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased a used TS-480 and give it a solid 5+ for ease of use, quality of construction, great specs.

Multiple audio-passband shaping options on transmit have received positive reviews for clarity and fidelity and can be changed on the fly from casual "hi-fi" mode to more a aggressive and punchy response to take full advantage of running barefoot.

Use of the internal voice/CW recorder makes this a pleasure to use whether for simple automated CQ calling or hard-core contesting.

The ONE THING that definitely makes this a solid 5+ is a very simple modification to sample the 73 Mhz. IF to an inexpensive SDR dongle.
Using this setup and controlling with HDSDR I would consider this a quality "poor-man's Flex Radio"!
Total cost of simple modification is less than $50.00 and well worth the 45 minutes start to finish.

Features on the "free" HDSDR add additional functionality, especially on receive.

Get one, you will NOT be disappointed!

IZ1PON Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2016 06:37 Send this review to a friend
TS-480: Eccellente  Time owned: more than 12 months
Questo apparato è quello che mi ha più divertito negli ultimi anni.
La tradizione di eccellenza ed innovazione di Kenwood la trovo nel TS-480SAT: facilità d'uso, innovativa filosofia d'impiego, lay-out curato e raffinato.
Si è fatto tesoro di circuiti ben collaudati su apparati Kenwood precedenti.
Software di gestione è di livello ed estensione notevole risultando però intuitivo con comandi veramente ergonomici e logici, display ben leggibile.
Ottima qualità audio TX e RX (prerogativa Kenwood).
Ideale per attività SWL e BCL.
In sostanza una radio che fa ottima figura anche a confronto di apparati di ben maggiore dimensione e costo.
A tal proposito il rapporto qualità/prezzo è imbattibile!
Si conferma la filosofia Kenwood di rendere i propri prodotti validi negli anni a venire, mantenendo la produzione degli stessi modelli anche per decenni (TS-2000) tutto a beneficio del valore di mercato e della reperibilità dei ricambi che visto dalla parte dell'utilizzatore non è cosa da poco!

NY7Q Rating: 0/5 Jul 23, 2015 14:48 Send this review to a friend
Disappointed with CW Keyer  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Finally put my TS-520s aside and began using the 480sat for CW ops. Right away I discovered the internal Keyer throws in lots of extra DAHs and several more Dits. I poured over the manuals, looked on the internet for solutions, and have discovered it is non fixable using the menus and mechanical settings on the rig.. I am really upset that Kenwood would put out a rig that has such a bad problem using the Keyer. I have been a CW op since 1953 and have used dozens of rigs for cw. This 480 gets a zero from me and I intend to sell it. A good $1300.00 wasted by me.

W2IU Rating: 5/5 Jul 6, 2015 06:57 Send this review to a friend
Undervalued Receiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
Love this transceiver. Two things I wish it had was a power level lower than 5 watts out and an IF out. Other than that, it is small, flexible, upgradable and a pleasure to use.

I tell everyone I know to get one of these rigs, whether used mobile, or at the base station.