Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Kenwood TS-480SAT Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-480SAT
Kenwood TS-480SAT Reviews: 213 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $1499.99
Description: 100 watts HF & 6m allmode portable and mobile transceiver w/ built-in antenna tuner
More info: http://www.kenwood.com/i/products/info/amateur/ts_480/

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-480SAT.

W4WOR Rating: 5/5 Jun 6, 2015 08:39 Send this review to a friend
easy to operate  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is one nice little rig. I've been using as fixed station.
I used it for a while with a mc 50 desk mic with adapter but got better audio reports with the stock microphone.
love the built in antenna tuner.

NY7Q Rating: 5/5 Mar 30, 2015 05:35 Send this review to a friend
excellent rig update  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Once I found the RF Adjustment, the receiver is more than excellent. Quiet, with no qrm qrn with the adjustments done right.Best rig I have ever had.

R4CDY Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2015 13:30 Send this review to a friend
Excellent radio!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am the second owner of this transceiver. produced in 2003! bad it's the American version. in European - there is a great bowl.
in the SOHO group - the best transceiver!
previously only worked on yaesu and icom.
My next radio will only kenwood!

M0GNA Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2015 00:27 Send this review to a friend
Delightful.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Can't fault it.Its the neatest looking radio I have owned so far. Its easy enough to use,it has great audio for its size,and it looks fantastic when you tuck away the main unit and just have the control unit sitting on your desk..Love it.

AB0YY Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2015 18:25 Send this review to a friend
Yaesu MD-1 mic for TS 480  Time owned: months
Just wanted to let everyone know I ordered an adapter from the cwman on ebay and got a Yaesu 8 pin round to Kenwood Modular for a Yaesu desk mic MD-1.
The up and down does not work, which I did not use anyway, but the audio reports have been outstanding and so much better than the stock mic, Heil pro set III, and MC-60.
I am very happy with all the reports and I did not have to spend money on a new desk mic.
Ron K0RON

2E0AYQ Rating: 5/5 Jan 12, 2015 09:48 Send this review to a friend
Very good indeed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm very impressed with this
Radio.
Really good RX one of the best I have heard
Always get good audio reports with stock
Mic.Nice clear display
Cannot find any fault at all
Excellent value for money

TA3EP Rating: 5/5 Dec 23, 2014 00:56 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
Noiseless sensitive receiver, good modulation, easy use in shack with my hand made separation cable, easy PC control with USB adapteur, I have got more than 25 DXCC credits using this little rig...
I think my TS-480 SAT easily deserves solid 5 points...

W8MPX Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2014 20:07 Send this review to a friend
best mobile   Time owned: more than 12 months
had ts-480sat mobile best mobile the ts 480sat it the only mobile with antenna tuner if you buy a icom or yaesu you have to buy a antenna tuner. I have the yaesu 857d and have the ic 7000 for mobile a like better the ts 480sat. I use the ic 7000 for base and the yaesu 857d battery pack. the ic-7000 and the kenwood ts 480sat output with battery is 65 watts, the 857d is the only radio that put 100 watts with battery. the problem here is some people are yaesu and other people are kenwood and icom. for me the kenwood ts 480sat is a good mobile radio that include a antenna tuner. the ic-7000 for mobile consume to much juice but yhe 857d is good for mobile,battery pack or base

KQ4KK Rating: 3/5 Nov 16, 2014 10:46 Send this review to a friend
Look at Sherwood  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using 3 different TS-480's in EOC environment. One is a 200 watt version.

They work. Is the best I can say about them. Have one doing WINLINK 2K with the $1,400 TNC. It works ok.

The receiver are not very good by today's standards. When they first came out, they were just OK.

MANY better mobile type radios out now. That also include 2m and 440.

Used the 200 watt station with a full wave loop antenna during a contest. The receiver could not hear well. Glad when the contest was done.

WZ3O Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2014 17:45 Send this review to a friend
2nd go round   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Previously had one that I really didn't learn how to use properly..

Different, this time read manual and experimented with setting vs while keeping manual close by.

Odd configuration, but you get used to it. No MB bracket this time, last time I feel it got in the way. This time I just sit the head on the body or elsewhere.

Very good receiver, did mod that's online to tweak the power out, solid 100w all bands/modes. Tuner does a very good job on both my verticals and end fed wire. My only critique is that it doesn't have IF DSP, but even on noisy situations the IF shift does an adequate job..

Since it can't be rated a 4.8,I rounded up...