Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FT-901DM Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-901DM
Yaesu FT-901DM Reviews: 19 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $1,895.00
Description: 160-10 meter All Mode Transceiver
More info: http://www.foxtango.org/FT901/FT-901-902%20Web%20Page.htm

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-901DM.

WB4IUY Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2013 16:58 Send this review to a friend
Still a great rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
Checking back in since my last review, over 2 years later. This rig is solid, beautiful audio, doesn't drive after a short warmup, and has been running in my shack since the early 90's. Truly a contest quality rig that was built to last. Love my 901!

PE1GUR Rating: 5/5 Oct 2, 2011 16:30 Send this review to a friend
One of the ever top trancievers  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my FT901DM second handed in 1990,since then it is in daily service for 22 years! I completed the rig with all the 8-pole Inrad-filters and even in the FM module I changed the ceramic filters for 12,5 hiquality ones.I work with it on HF and its driving my VHF/UHF transeverters.It let me only once down by a burned RF-choke in the FM-unit. Nowerdays the FT901 line has volume compared with the nano-technology, but its still nice to look at and to work with. The RX is sensitive on all bands and the balanced mixer is doing well, the preselector is doing the rest for a superb and quite reception together with a analoge design.The FT902DM added the WARC-bands.
The PA is rugged design with the two 4146B finals.
The audiosquelch + 20db RF-clipping gives me 8,5db again.
VFO doesn't run, stay as a clock..
(Curtis)keyer is super for CW use.
Descrete components and thus repairable, mostly BC1815 transistors.
Audio sounds good on a external speaker (intern is crap).
One memory channal is enough for 500Khz.
I can find one litle point and that is that the coniguration of the power amplifier could be a litle more designed for 10m.
The second point is that the reject filter is too low in Q so it doesn't work propper on CW.It works also on FM or AM and its usefull for narrowing bandwith if nessesery in these modes.
For Transverteruse I decoupled the driverstage and added a 2N222 (K1RI) broadband driver-amp. and why not I changed FSK mode in FSK CW.
The FT901/901 is the end off the evolution of radio. Its just a wonderfull top design from the end of the 70's! Last for ever and easy to use. All the functions on this tranciever are well designed and do what they should do!
I use the side brother YO901(scoop) for messurements and monitoring Es and Ms propagation..

N4UE Rating: 5/5 Aug 13, 2011 14:41 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned several of these great older radios. At the present time, I have the complete 901 station in storage. Antenna tuner, all 3 transverters, etc. I even have the rare (but uninstalled WARC kit).
Great solid, excellent sounding radios. Hears anything my new Icoms can.... What more needs to be said???
To those who say it's 'terrible'...... You need to learn how to operate a radio.

ron
N4UE

IW0GVG Rating: 5/5 Aug 13, 2011 12:04 Send this review to a friend
Good radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Old radio.
Good radio!!

WB0AAT Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2010 21:58 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Radio all around  Time owned: more than 12 months
After reading some of the negative reviews, I have to add my two cents. I have been running the FT-901DM for over two years now and with never a hickup. It could not be better on both receive and transmit, both cw and ssb. It drives the Fl-2100B and the Ameritron 811H with ease. The filters make it very easy to remove interference. If there would be any changes or modifications I would recommend I don't know what it would be. Just a fantastic, solid keepable unit.

N8YX Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2009 17:30 Send this review to a friend
Test with a "known good" example  Time owned: more than 12 months
I often wonder how many of this site's 'older equipment' reviews are somewhat clouded by the reviewer's exposure to a malfunctioning or out-of-adjustment piece of equipment?

The FT-901DM which is sitting in my shack is the second one I've owned, and is the fourth "FT-90x-series" rig with which I've had extensive operating time. This particular rig drifts ~200hz from a cold start and once warmed up exhibits ZERO drift over the course of weeks. I might as well chuck the accessory FV-901 synthesizer and internal memory module in the trash; with an analog VFO that's this stable you don't really need an outboard unit.

When properly aligned, the '901 hears everything that my Drake 7-lines, Kenwood and ITT Mackay Marine receivers do - the fact that it's not 'general coverage' mattering very little. On the ham bands the FT-901 is a hard radio to beat, assuming you can do without computer control...and you know how to load a tube PA properly.

There are a number of enhancements and upgrades which one can make to the '901's various subassemblies to bring its performance up to that of the '902, whose overall performance is IMHO hardly discernible from that of its earlier sibling. A few of the noted reliability fixes (PA-input coupling capacitor replacement among them) should be incorporated, however. Most - if not all - of these will be found in late-production rigs...the aforementioned capacitor being one of the exceptions to this rule. (Both the '901 and '902 series were shipped with a mica part which can fail "shorted" over time; replacement of such is documented 'round the 'Net.)

Some of the changes can be effected by swapping the '901 boards for their newer counterparts. The RF board is a prime example of this. Of course, the stock one can be easily modified to '902 "specs".

My only gripe is the lack of WARC bands...but even this isn't too difficult to remedy, assuming you know your way around with a soldering iron.

See my accompanying review of the FT-902 for details on how to turn a "drifter" into something which is nearly rock-solid.

KC9MSA Rating: 3/5 Nov 26, 2008 11:40 Send this review to a friend
It's okay....  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Not a bad radio....the receive could be a little more sensitive, it does drift an unusual amount for a radio like that, and it does not have general coverage receive...it's okay.

KC9INX Rating: 5/5 Mar 11, 2008 08:05 Send this review to a friend
AWESOME!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This radio was top notch in the early 80's. It big with large knobs and feels like a real "HAM" radio should feel. I have had this radio about 6 months and I love it. Yes its old. Yes you have to tune it...god forbid! But its beautiful. I have recieved execellent audio reports and the recieve is great. I will probably never sell this rig. If you get a chance i would highly suggest this rig!

P.S. WAY better audio than a TR-7 :)

N0XE Rating: 5/5 Feb 15, 2008 17:28 Send this review to a friend
Good radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
The 901 and the 902 both were solid well built radios in the second generation of the FT 101 line, if a paticuliar FT 901 is drifty it has a problem, I see way to many reviews on radio equipment that was probably in need of repair when reviewed, or being held to standards of super modern 3K rigs which is totally unfair. I once had a Collins S line with issues, I also had an Icom 765 that needed attention, both are outstanding when working to factory specs, it would have been easy to let my emotions and anger lash out and give them a 2. All radio gear regardless of make can go out, this is electronics, it happens, I have owned two FT 901's and one 902, both can hold their own even today as long as they are properly maintained , just like any gear. 73 Jim N0XE

G6XCJ Rating: 3/5 May 28, 2006 10:01 Send this review to a friend
Fair  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My Yaesu FT 901DM is second-hand, duh? Yeah i know, but i bought it from a stable who has put a good 12mths warranty on it. To me its a whole new way of life and i truly love it. In my view it beats the Kenwood TS-2000 outright, using the same aerial and an SEM Tranzmatch i can now hear the world. I hate small radios with fiddly access points a man cant get his hands into but with the 901DM Y seem to have thought of everything. Mind you ive not tried real tx with it just yet as i want to learn about all its facets first.