Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Yaesu FT-901DM Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-901DM
Yaesu FT-901DM Reviews: 20 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $1,895.00
Description: 160-10 meter All Mode Transceiver
More info: http://www.foxtango.org/FT901/FT-901-902%20Web%20Page.htm

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-901DM.

G6XCJ Rating: 3/5 May 28, 2006 10:01 Send this review to a friend
Fair  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My Yaesu FT 901DM is second-hand, duh? Yeah i know, but i bought it from a stable who has put a good 12mths warranty on it. To me its a whole new way of life and i truly love it. In my view it beats the Kenwood TS-2000 outright, using the same aerial and an SEM Tranzmatch i can now hear the world. I hate small radios with fiddly access points a man cant get his hands into but with the 901DM Y seem to have thought of everything. Mind you ive not tried real tx with it just yet as i want to learn about all its facets first.

N5HNY Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2004 00:48 Send this review to a friend
One of the all time greats  Time owned: more than 12 months
I shared a house with a friend of mine in the 80's. He was an extra and encouraged me to get back into Amatuer Radio. I was a Novice in the early 70's. One of the many rigs he had in the shack was a FT-901 DM. It was awesome. I was used to old boat anchors and surplus military gear. I bought one off E-bay about three years ago and I havn't regretted it. I agree that the noise blanker is wanting. I also have a problem tuning up on 40 meters. My friend had the same problem with his. I paid about $375 for mine. The only thing better would be the FT-902 that has the WARC bands. You can't go wrong with this radio.

W4ACW Rating: 5/5 May 13, 2002 11:51 Send this review to a friend
Love this radio....  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got this radio 2 years ago and it was never used!Wrapped in a plastic bag and sat on a shelf.The owner never used it and passed away.I bought it from the widow.When it arrived the frequency readout was all out of sorts reading wrong ... Looked in the maintenance manual and saw that certain serial#'s had a reversed electrolitic capacitor.I opened the radio and replaced the capacitor.The insides and outside are new.I guess the owner didn't bother using it put it on the shelf with the factory defect.The radio works beautiful.It has a toal of 20hrs. on it!I keep it covered and use it now and then as my back up radio.I wish I knew the WARC mod. I didn't know abt that one!A classic and a keeper!Not for sale...sri

W3HKK Rating: 5/5 May 13, 2002 09:29 Send this review to a friend
A classic sturdy reliable rig that holds up well.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought mine in 1979 for heavy dxing and contesting, and earned several top scores in my ARRL district with it. Lets you dig out the hard to get ones in intense QRM. Great audio on rx and tx, with built in processor. Mates very well with the Shure 444D mic for glowing audio reports

For its time, the 901 had all the bells and whistles expected of a state of the art xcvr. And it still looks great! Its controls are smoothe, mechanically and electrically its extremely reliable, and a joy to operate, on ssb or cw (with built in keyer, a sharp audio peak filter AND variable bandwidth tuning- an excellent combination for cw and data.)

Stability, even after 23 years of heavy use, is decent...mine drifts about 400 khz from a cold start over a 2 hour period, then stabilizes. Finals last many years and the rig just keeps on ticking. In 23 years I have replaced two blown diodes in the power supply, and the tubes a couple of times( 6146B or 6146W's- not expensive...+ the 12BY7A preamp) Neutralization and alignment caneasily be done at home. FM, RTTY, AM are also built in for a little variety.

NEGATIVES: Rig is pre-WARC (but can be modified); the notch filter doesnt notch deep enough to take out carriers ( I use an outboard audio DSP for this)..only about 30 db; you must manually change from LSB to USB; the noise blanker is minimally effective( again I use an outboard DSP); and as with all tube rigs it is a manual tune rig.

MISC: You can find a great selection of top notch outboard accessories for it. My complete station includes: external vfo, external speaker, multiscope, vhf/uhf xvrtr, antenna tuner and dummy load. All work flawlessly.

The best investment I ever made.

de Bob W3HKK

VE6BUD Rating: 5/5 Feb 22, 2002 11:47 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased a rather beat up FT-901DM from a
ham back in 1993 for $750 CDN. I still see them
selling for around $500 today.

The FT-901D(M) is one of the very few rigs from
this particular vintage that has an AGC fast
enough to handle AMTOR. It does it very well.
The TR relay is fast enough to handle it.

I've found that with some rigs, you can't even
turn off the AGC or that "Fast AGC" isn't fast
enough for AMTOR or high speed CW. Being able to
shut off AGC on this rig is a great asset.

The Audio Notch feature (APF) is a very usefull
feature. I used it to work very noisy CW but I
can see it being priceless for use with PSK31.

The IF Shift and Notch filters are a Godsend for
working RTTY and other digital modes. Most rigs
from this era don't have this feature. (It's
almost like Yaesu crippled down the FT-901DM to
make the FT-101ZD!)

The geared down Plate and Load controls are very
precise and very easy to use with the Tune button.

My only beef about this rig is the preselect
control. I realize that all rigs from this vintage
usually had some variation on this control, but
it reminds me a bit of the carrier balance control
that my old Eico 753 had. Yes, it's obselete and
a bit dated but the other features this rig has
make up for this little setback.

If you want a cheap rig for use with the digital
modes of yesteryear and today, this is the perfect
radio to use for them, without having to go DSP
or investing more than $500 on a newer solid state
rig.

KB0TIC Rating: 4/5 Oct 2, 2001 01:02 Send this review to a friend
I Just Bought It  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi , I just got this 901 DM and I love it. At the present time, I am a Tech, but
owning this radio, you want to upgrade. Right now, it does not transmit, but
it is more fun to just listen. The smartest $150 I have ever spent.

WA3PHT Rating: 4/5 May 22, 2000 19:52 Send this review to a friend
Takes a while to load but works great.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ive owned a 901 for about 14 yrs. Worked 10m-160. I also enjoy 10m FM.CW is a little weak but the audio reports even on QRP are excellent.Probably the best Rig I have owned.

KB1ELV Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2000 15:40 Send this review to a friend
Awesome rig!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had the rig for a few weeks now and it works great. I can run 200w no sweat!! The audio reports are great, but remember to back off on FM. There are mods out there to do 30mtrs, and make the reciever recieve 5mhz-6. I would have liked a nice general coverage reciever, but thats ok. Anyway, a great rig for the 200 I paid for it, go and get one at the next flea!!
KB1ELV@Hotmail.com
Chris

LU3FCK Rating: 4/5 Mar 11, 2000 16:05 Send this review to a friend
Nice Radio  Time owned: unknown months
Its a nice rig, good receiver not as newer rigs but good the only thing i miss is that i have the D version without memory so cant work split.
its a nice radio for people getting on radio its cheap and is good

W0LMN Rating: 4/5 Feb 12, 2000 16:56 Send this review to a friend
One of the original great Transceivers  Time owned: unknown months
This is a fine transceiver! I bought mine about 16 to 17 years ago - when they first come out. It has performed faulessly ever since. The sensitivety may not be what the newer modern day rigs are capable of but it is very serviceable. The only repair made is one recent one, one of the panel lights in the meter burned out - Yaesu still has replacement parts. The tube finals and driver tube are still going strong, having never been replaced. If I were to guess how many hours of operation and contacts were made, hours approximately 6,000 and contacts about 10,000. Hard to beat the FT-901DM for base station or mobile use.