Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | High Sierra IC-706 Control Box Help

Reviews Summary for High Sierra IC-706 Control Box
Reviews: 3 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Up/Down switch for Icom IC-706 series that plugs into the molex connector in back to supply power to a High Sierra Screwdriver antenna and automatically create a 10 watt carrier for lowest SWR adjustment when rocker switch is depressed.
More info: http://www.cq73.com

You can write your own review of the High Sierra IC-706 Control Box.

K4KAL Rating: 4/5 May 31, 2004 19:52 Send this review to a friend
Great Product.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased my 1800 Pro and I-Box and was very please with the product. I agree with a previous reviewers comments that tuning for 10 watts, is not the same as 100 watts, but its close. I have been able to get my swr between 1.1 to 1.5 on all bands, but you have to hit the up/down a few more times for it to be adequate for 100 watts. The unit comes with a 3 foot wired cable, and that was not long enough for me because my control head is 6 feet from the radio. Radio shack sells the Molex Male/Female connectors, so I made a extension using a piece of CAT5 Cable. I am planning on adding a switch to turn off the tuner function so the controller will operate in manual mode for tweaking, and using on receive frequencies. Jim does outstanding support on the products he sells.

KG6UAX Rating: 4/5 Apr 2, 2004 04:28 Send this review to a friend
i-Box question  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The i-Box works well with the Icom-706MarkIIG, but one feature I wish it had, or mabee I haven't figured out yet, is how to tune the antenna on the receive-only bands.

Whenever the button is pushed to adjust the antenna, the radio transmits, so it is not possible to listen for quieting on the frequencies where the radio isn't transmitting -- also since the SWR meter is useless at this point.

I have made calibrated marks on the coil cover using colored avery tape to mark the band ranges, so I can rough tune by looking in the rear-view mirror.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Joe

K7JQ Rating: 5/5 Dec 25, 2003 19:32 Send this review to a friend
Next best to auto-control  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just now being produced by High Sierra - replaced my previous "semi-automatic" control box for my Sidekick antenna / IC-706MKIIG combo. One of the first ones produced and sent to me by Jim Heath of High Sierra. Plugs into the molex connector on back of '706 to supply power to activate any High Sierra screwdriver AND create a 10 watt carrier (a la the Better RF gizmo)whenever you press the up/down rocker switch on the control box. An added feature is that the carrier stays on for about 2 seconds after depressing the switch so you have time to make sure that you hit the lowest SWR on the '706 meter without an "overrun" on the screwdriver motor. This is especially useful with the small Sidekick model due its short coil and quick resonance points. Results?..works like a charm! The next best thing to one of the totally automatic controllers currently on the market...but without the $200+ price tag. One note: SWR at 10 watts could be different than at 100 watts. You may have to tweak the control switch if you notice your voice peaks are hitting higher than the SWR indicated at 10 watts. Only a very minor "inconvenience". VERY easy to install...plug and play. There's even a light on the control box that lets you know when the coil has reached its up/down limits.
See my earlier review on the Sidekick. Jim at High Sierra is very responsive to e-mail or phone questions. Both units highly recommended.
73, Bob, K7JQ