Reviews Categories | Microphones | Silver Salute Help

Reviews Summary for Silver Salute
Silver Salute Reviews: 10 Average rating: 3.2/5 MSRP: $99.99
Description: the replacement for the astatic silver eagle or d104 if you will.all chrome plated and the exact same sound as the d104. the shape of the silver salute is more of a octagon shape than it is round.looks nice,sounds nice and priced right at 99.99 or 89.99 if you look around.

You can write your own review of the Silver Salute.

VE7REN Rating: 1/5 May 6, 2009 17:59 Send this review to a friend
poor  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
all around junk. has a poor ptt switch,and is cheaply made.not like a d104 at all in build quality. sold one i got in a trade

N0FPE Rating: 3/5 May 6, 2009 17:27 Send this review to a friend
juts another chicken choker  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Nothing special but the price! Sold mine within a few weeks. Back to the Shure 444

MI3LVZ Rating: 3/5 May 6, 2009 11:30 Send this review to a friend
Average  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought a new one a year ago, it wasn't bad for the money as iv paid more for some so call better mics which turned out to be worse.
I sorted mine by removing the amplifier from it and replacing the element with the cartridge from a very poor condition Shure 444 which i had. Now the mic sounds like what it looks like, fantastic!

2E1GLS Rating: 1/5 May 21, 2006 18:36 Send this review to a friend
poor  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
not even close to the amplified d104 in side by side comparisons on my radios, the salute sounds like a cheap altai cb powermic, feels solid enough but fit and finish are poor beside the astatic some claim its replacing lmao, the salute could be made to sound much better even with the stock element but why bother when there are other cb mics around with better sound for less money

KB3KCJ Rating: 4/5 Sep 12, 2005 11:37 Send this review to a friend
Good Microphone  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this microphone new from a dealer in Southern Pennsylvania (lousy dealer by the way, didn't know it at the time). I was using it for CB prior to getting my ham license. I couldn't find anyone to give me wiring for this to my backup FT-707 rig. A fellow ham in RUSSIA sent the wiring to me and after a broadcast engineer friend wired it up for me, I have gotten excellent to superb audio reports for the last two years. It set on a shelf cause it was an 11-meter thingy - It is now a proud addition to my ham shack. Too bad they cost so much - Oh Well. Indicentally, it is only a 600 ohm impedance microphone and cannot be used on my FT-980 - darn it!

KS4HY Rating: 3/5 Apr 26, 2005 12:39 Send this review to a friend
Looks like a D-104, but sounds like a hand mic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have used D-104's for many years, so when this look-a-like came out I decided to try it. The mic housing is nice, but when I compared the audio quality of the Silver Salute to a real TUG-8 D-104 it was no contest. It was not even close. The D-104 blew away the Silver Salute in audio fidelity. Too bad. I was hoping it would sound as good as a D-104 especially since Astatic is no longer making the D-104 base microphone.

SUMMARY: Looks like a D-104, but sounds like a hand mic.

K1GUN Rating: 2/5 Feb 28, 2005 05:22 Send this review to a friend
2/5  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm not compulsive buyer but when I saw the silver eagle I just had to have one when it arrived I could hardly wait to try it...What a disappointment! The sound of the audio with the dynamic element contained in the mic is horrible the audio is pinched,totally high end and for the life of me i don't know how they measured the frequency response of the element the graph shows a flat response with a peak around 2kc but its all high end...with all that said appearance wise it's is absolutely fantastic!!! the chrome is beautiful the design is really cool and if one doesn't mind spending a few more bucks for a HC5 element by Heil and installing it then you have not only a beautiful mic but a great sounding one as well it truly is a great replacement for the famous D104 and the fact that it's about 2 inches shorter gives it a more proportional appearance than the D104, always thought the d104 was to tall anyway..

N3JBH Rating: 5/5 Oct 20, 2004 06:06 Send this review to a friend
great on ft-847  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
i use this microphone on a yaesu ft-847 and it does have some what of a high end audio same as d-104 does and wow is the amp circut really hot. so dont need to turn up the amplifaction on the mic base.
but considering that this is a heavy solid mic tha has serious use in the radio shack. also i noted that it uses the exact same wiring layout as the d-104 so for pinout to radio wiring you can go to asatic.com and get the proper wirring for darned near any rig. to be quite honest i wonder if the dudes at d-104 really arnt making this mic.

only big differnce i seen is d-104 is ceramic head this is dynamic head and this is 600 ohm right out the box. so buy one youll love it

KC0QME Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2004 13:44 Send this review to a friend
a realy good mic  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
well i was the first to realy put this mic on the review but i guess that they deleted it lol. any way the mic works and sounds as good as the astatic d104. i give this thing 2 thumbs up. i will use it on am alot when i upgrade hihi.

KC9FDH Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2004 02:23 Send this review to a friend
The summary says it all!  Time owned: months
I was disappointed that the Astatic company discontined the D-104 base mic, I used one with my President Washington until it died. Anyway, I picked one of these up and was impressed, I'd say beter than the Silver Eagle IMO. Looks great, operates flawlessly and listen to your radio checks, you sounds awesome! I would definaly tell anybody to pick one of these up even if they're looking at a d-104.

(A word to the wise, don't buy a "used" Silver Eagle)