Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Comet GP 15 Tri band (144/440/52 mhz) vertical ant Help

Reviews Summary for Comet GP 15 Tri band (144/440/52 mhz) vertical ant
Comet GP 15 Tri band (144/440/52 mhz) vertical ant Reviews: 47 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $149.99
Description: 6M @ 3.5dB; 2M 6.2dB; 440 @ 8.6dB; 150 watts; 7'11"; fiberglass
More info: http://www.cometantenna.com/base.html

You can write your own review of the Comet GP 15 Tri band (144/440/52 mhz) vertical ant.

W5JMW Rating: 4/5 Aug 10, 2016 20:02 Send this review to a friend
Pretty good so far..  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had a ar-270b up on the tower.took a lightning hit.I put this up as a temp.BUT,seem to be great good on vhf,uhf and 6.Swr good at 20 ft.It will go up next and see what it can do...

F4EPP Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2016 23:49 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I could tune it easily for our 50 Mhz european dx band portion 6 feet above the ground and I didn't notice any swr change on the roof of my house. 144/430 was ok right away.
I have a 150 km range without propagation on Vhf and I easily reach 300 km with small daily tropo in the mornings and nights.I don't really know if it's a matter of a superiority compared to other antennas but mine works great. I did more than hundred qsos this summer (2015) on 6 mtrs but single hop only. I would have preferred 10 mtrs rather than 70 cm for the third band. I can't blame Comet as this kind of antenna doesn't exist yet !

W2RWL Rating: 3/5 Dec 3, 2014 22:48 Send this review to a friend
Not as great as it sounds  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
2 Meters and 440 work like a charm...I have the 6 meter stub tuned to 53.000MHz with a 1.1:1 SWR as suggested by many...Even though SWR on 6M is low across the band, the performance of this antenna on 6M is not all that great...I get constant reports of poor audio on 6M, but great reports on 2/440...I think 6M should stick with being on its own...

WB4U Rating: 5/5 Feb 11, 2013 06:56 Send this review to a friend
Just awsome!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Excellent construction. All elements and coils inside are soldered to maintain integrity over time. All hardware is stainless steel. No assembly required so there is less potential to make a mistake. Check all set screws to make sure they are tight and measure the 6 meter radial to ensure it is correct for the part of the band you intend to use. My GP-15 covers 51 to 54 MHz between the 2 to 1 SWR points, it covers all of the 2 meter band plus more and all of the 440 band plus more. On air performance it amazing. I can highly recommend this antenna. It will give you years of great service.

AB9TA Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2013 20:48 Send this review to a friend
Pretty Good Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this one up for over a year, and it's worked just great.
I tuned it for the middle of the 6M band, it has 2:1 or better SWR across the band that I improve with the internal tuners on my 6M rigs. 2M and 70cm have low SWR right out of the box.
I have the expected range based on my local terrain and the installed height (28' height to tip.
A great antenna at a low price, definitely recommended!

KI6USU Rating: 5/5 Dec 29, 2012 06:14 Send this review to a friend
Excellent performance and longevity  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well, I've had it up on the roof for around 3 years now. We went up to examine it while fixing gutters, and it looked like the day I bought it. This is saying something, the coastal California salty sea air corrodes pretty much everything in months. It's secured to a pipe in the roof with a couple U clamps, and the coax is encased in PVC to protect it from UV, moisture, and tree/storm debris. The connector has a few licks of self-amalgamating tape to seal it. It's tolerated a lot of rain and wind storms that charge in across the valley.

Performance-wise, I couldn't ask for more. When it was on the ground I optimized the resonance by twiddling the setscrew and sliding one of the telescopic radials in and out. The SWR hasn't changed since then. It's so ludicrously efficient that I could hit a 2m repeater about 50 miles away full quieting with 50 milliwatts! I've also enjoyed faffing about on 6m simplex. There doesn't seem to be any operational 6m repeaters here. When sporadic E picks up this summer I'll be sure to give it a shot.

In short, a solid antenna. Would I get another one? Probably not, because I got it as a new ham and intended to use it on my triband HT. I'm planning on getting an 897D at that location, and it uses two antennas for HF-6m and 2m/70cm. I'd get a dual bander Comet, though!

VA3WV Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2012 09:59 Send this review to a friend
excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have 2 now, and they both still work well. I just put one up 2 months ago and didn't have to touch the match at all. I'm west of Toronto and work central and western NY repeaters all the time.Can't be beat! The first one is at least 10 years old. Works well for the 8900-R.

K7CB Rating: 4/5 May 4, 2012 12:07 Send this review to a friend
NOT A Lightning Magnet  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using this antenna for several years - four years in Tampa (lightning capital of the U.S.) and just over a year here in Colorado Springs. I have yet to suffer a lightning strike. Performance is very good in my opinion. From my house, I can open the CMRG 70cm D-Star repeater on Raton Pass - a distance of about 140 miles. While closer, there are more hills between my location and Denver but I can still open up plenty of repeaters in the metro area. 6M performance is good...there's only one repeater in my area that I've been able to open so far.

KY4MRG Rating: 0/5 May 4, 2012 11:16 Send this review to a friend
LIGHTENING MAGNET  Time owned: more than 12 months
After having 3 and all 3 were struck by lighting at to different locations. Stay away from this antenna

KD2ARB Rating: 5/5 Jan 6, 2012 07:41 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is a great antenna for anyone starting out in ham radio or for anyone looking for a decent vertical for VHF/UHF/6 meters.The SWRS on this antenna are a great 1.1 to 1 on all the bands.There is an element on one of the radials for tuning to get the swrs down on 6 meters.The only problem that I do have is getting the swrs down on 6 meters.Still kinda high no matter how much I tinkered with the adjustable element.BUT Im not on 6 meters that much anymore so it doesnt bother me.I can easily hit repeaters at least 60 miles away with only about 10 watts RF.You will not be disappointed with this antenna.GREAT PERFORMER!