Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Comet GP 15 Tri band (144/440/52 mhz) vertical ant Help

Reviews Summary for Comet GP 15 Tri band (144/440/52 mhz) vertical ant
Comet GP 15 Tri band (144/440/52 mhz) vertical ant Reviews: 50 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $149.99
Description: 6M @ 3.5dB; 2M 6.2dB; 440 @ 8.6dB; 150 watts; 7'11"; fiberglass
More info: http://www.cometantenna.com/base.html

You can write your own review of the Comet GP 15 Tri band (144/440/52 mhz) vertical ant.

N2MDV Rating: 4/5 Jan 11, 2017 20:16 Send this review to a friend
Great, depending on where you use it.  Time owned: more than 12 months
On fairly flat terrain, this antenna is an all around performer. That extra gain on 2M and 440MHz will work well, as long as you can get this antenna above, or way away, from trees. Deep in a valley, expect only the unity gain of 6M to get you out. That narrow radiation pattern just goes to the valley walls and gets reflected back to you. A 1/4-wave GND-plane works there. No tuning on 2M and 440MHz should you want to work out of band FREQ's, but then again I don't ever remember getting out of band intermod, like I do with a wide band Discone. 6M is tunable and in a pinch you can work CW, SSB, and AM, portion of the 6M band vertically. So, before deciding on this antenna, 1st do research of the terrain around you.

K3ICH Rating: 5/5 Aug 29, 2016 04:51 Send this review to a friend
Needs effective ground plane  Time owned: more than 12 months
I agree with all the comments concerning lack of performance on six meters.
However, a simple fix is to fashion a second,dedicated ground plane for 50 MHz.
I used a junk chicken-band vertical, scavenging the three solid aluminum radials and mounting plate. I cut the radials for 50 MHz and mounted it just below the existing radials on the antenna.

The performance difference is night & day. It now acts like a true quarter wave vertical on six with no detriment to 144/440.

K0HWY Rating: 3/5 Aug 28, 2016 10:02 Send this review to a friend
Get What You Pay For  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned the Comet GP-15 for about four years now and it's been a decent antenna for the most part. However, decent is not great and this is reflected in the price. If you want a good performer on 6 meters, this antenna is not what you need. Although it will tune up exactly as described, a good match does not equate with a good antenna. The antenna does much better on 2 meters and does an average job on 70cm. My recommendation would be to buy a really good 2m/70 cm antenna and put some serious cash into a true 6m antenna, especially if you're serious about using 6. Due to its 6m shortcomings, I would rate this antenna at 3.

W5JMW Rating: 4/5 Aug 10, 2016 20:02 Send this review to a friend
Pretty good so far..  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had a ar-270b up on the tower.took a lightning hit.I put this up as a temp.BUT,seem to be great good on vhf,uhf and 6.Swr good at 20 ft.It will go up next and see what it can do...

F4EPP Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2016 23:49 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I could tune it easily for our 50 Mhz european dx band portion 6 feet above the ground and I didn't notice any swr change on the roof of my house. 144/430 was ok right away.
I have a 150 km range without propagation on Vhf and I easily reach 300 km with small daily tropo in the mornings and nights.I don't really know if it's a matter of a superiority compared to other antennas but mine works great. I did more than hundred qsos this summer (2015) on 6 mtrs but single hop only. I would have preferred 10 mtrs rather than 70 cm for the third band. I can't blame Comet as this kind of antenna doesn't exist yet !

W2RWL Rating: 3/5 Dec 3, 2014 22:48 Send this review to a friend
Not as great as it sounds  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
2 Meters and 440 work like a charm...I have the 6 meter stub tuned to 53.000MHz with a 1.1:1 SWR as suggested by many...Even though SWR on 6M is low across the band, the performance of this antenna on 6M is not all that great...I get constant reports of poor audio on 6M, but great reports on 2/440...I think 6M should stick with being on its own...

WB4U Rating: 5/5 Feb 11, 2013 06:56 Send this review to a friend
Just awsome!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Excellent construction. All elements and coils inside are soldered to maintain integrity over time. All hardware is stainless steel. No assembly required so there is less potential to make a mistake. Check all set screws to make sure they are tight and measure the 6 meter radial to ensure it is correct for the part of the band you intend to use. My GP-15 covers 51 to 54 MHz between the 2 to 1 SWR points, it covers all of the 2 meter band plus more and all of the 440 band plus more. On air performance it amazing. I can highly recommend this antenna. It will give you years of great service.

AB9TA Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2013 20:48 Send this review to a friend
Pretty Good Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this one up for over a year, and it's worked just great.
I tuned it for the middle of the 6M band, it has 2:1 or better SWR across the band that I improve with the internal tuners on my 6M rigs. 2M and 70cm have low SWR right out of the box.
I have the expected range based on my local terrain and the installed height (28' height to tip.
A great antenna at a low price, definitely recommended!

KI6USU Rating: 5/5 Dec 29, 2012 06:14 Send this review to a friend
Excellent performance and longevity  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well, I've had it up on the roof for around 3 years now. We went up to examine it while fixing gutters, and it looked like the day I bought it. This is saying something, the coastal California salty sea air corrodes pretty much everything in months. It's secured to a pipe in the roof with a couple U clamps, and the coax is encased in PVC to protect it from UV, moisture, and tree/storm debris. The connector has a few licks of self-amalgamating tape to seal it. It's tolerated a lot of rain and wind storms that charge in across the valley.

Performance-wise, I couldn't ask for more. When it was on the ground I optimized the resonance by twiddling the setscrew and sliding one of the telescopic radials in and out. The SWR hasn't changed since then. It's so ludicrously efficient that I could hit a 2m repeater about 50 miles away full quieting with 50 milliwatts! I've also enjoyed faffing about on 6m simplex. There doesn't seem to be any operational 6m repeaters here. When sporadic E picks up this summer I'll be sure to give it a shot.

In short, a solid antenna. Would I get another one? Probably not, because I got it as a new ham and intended to use it on my triband HT. I'm planning on getting an 897D at that location, and it uses two antennas for HF-6m and 2m/70cm. I'd get a dual bander Comet, though!

VA3WV Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2012 09:59 Send this review to a friend
excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have 2 now, and they both still work well. I just put one up 2 months ago and didn't have to touch the match at all. I'm west of Toronto and work central and western NY repeaters all the time.Can't be beat! The first one is at least 10 years old. Works well for the 8900-R.