Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | Rascal GLX Help

Reviews Summary for Rascal GLX
Rascal GLX Reviews: 58 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $39.95
Description: Computer-to-rig interface for PSK31, SSTV, EchoLink, Packet, RTTY (FSK & AFSK), eQSO, WJST, APRS, CW, MT63, and more.
More info: http://www.packetradio.com/rascalmkv.htm

You can write your own review of the Rascal GLX.

K8SW Rating: 0/5 Nov 7, 2016 19:17 Send this review to a friend
Keying problem  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got a new one from Buxcom, would not key the Omni 7,I could short the cable pins and key the radio which means the cable and the radio is working. The PC made the RED xmit light come on but NO KEYUP. Next day it keyed up and worked just fine. Next day it keyed up and would not unkey. Sent it back and they said they found no problems. In meantime i bought a Signalink USB and it worked first time and everytime. cost maybe $40 more but so much higher quality,not a glued shut plastic unit. Don't go cheap and don't go Buxcom unless someone just gives it to you.

KE5ZZN Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2013 10:47 Send this review to a friend
Good interface  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had the RASCAL GLX connected to an IC-718 for two years now and have never had an issue with it.

KJ4RWH Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2011 18:58 Send this review to a friend
No Problems  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought my Rascal assembled. This is my first experiment with digital transmissions. This interface was connected to my 6 year old Toshiba laptop using a USB to serial adapter. Once I set my Windows audio levels in a range my IC-737 was happy with and set the Comm Port I was off & running. I wasn't going to spend the price asked for the better known brands. The concept is too simple for that. I'd encourage my friends to buy one.

N9PSE Rating: 5/5 Dec 1, 2009 10:41 Send this review to a friend
Quick and easy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought the kit version of this several years ago, finally got around to building it last month. Went together easily. Minor nit on the case not being able to "lock" closed -- ended up gluing the 2 halves together (after testing, of course).

With my Yaesu FT-890 and Dell Laptop, only minor tweaks to the audio settings and my receive and transmit was perfect -- had another ham help me "dial in" the best audio settings to avoid splatter. Worked Germany on 80 meters with 20 watts on PSK the first evening. Transmitter keying worked perfectly using the serial port (yes, I still have one of those).

I'm going to fabricate a cable to use this with my FT-817 next.

I'm a big fan of Ham Radio Deluxe and DM780 -- the GLX works FB with this setup. Close to 100 QSOs without any trouble.

CURIOUSHAM Rating: 0/5 Dec 1, 2009 09:33 Send this review to a friend
junk, plus no support  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a piece of junk. Shoddy workmanship and non-existent customer service. I junked it an bought a Rigblaster and never looked back.

N3YZ Rating: 5/5 May 30, 2009 07:21 Send this review to a friend
No Problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own two of these Rascals. Both have worked very well over about four years and DXCC RTTY. No problms. No issues. Just solid connectivity. 73! John, Annapolis, MD.

KI6QIK Rating: 0/5 May 3, 2009 11:05 Send this review to a friend
Save Your Money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm afraid I will need to echo what has been previously written.

I had a problem of no PTT signal. It turned out to be a bad cable.

The Customer "Dis-Service" was rude, crude and denied responsibility as stated previously. It did not help to solve the problem and soon became another problem.

The manual is a few pieces of paper stapled together and was next to useless.

The CD is copyrighted 1999-2005. The information I have found for free on the net.

Check the return policy for BUXCOMM.COM and BUCKSCOM.COM prior to purchase. It's full of weasel clauses.

I did not save any time or money by purchasing this cable. I ended up taking it apart and repairing it myself.

All I can say is BUYER BEWARE!

WA1GZY Rating: 0/5 Mar 23, 2009 18:19 Send this review to a friend
Don't Waste Your $$$$  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Rascal name is well-suited to this band of jackals. Rascal GLX product purchased was missiing the interface radio cable. Customer "Dis-Service" was rude, crude and denied responsibility... forcing me to re-purchase the missing cable.

Once paid for via credit card, they re-billed me with an invoice. Talk about incompetence.

In terms of performance I recommend you save your $$$ and purchase the West Mountain Radio RigExpert Standard with USB interface. It is a breeze to set up complete with a outstanding variety of multimode digital operating programs that are a true pleasure to explore. While not really needed I can also add that the West Mountain customer support is superb.

The Rascal folks could learn from these folks but I predict that they won't be in business very long.

N5NXX Rating: 4/5 Dec 6, 2008 07:11 Send this review to a friend
Not Bad  Time owned: more than 12 months
Okay, I bought my Rascal from BuxComm (sp) about 2 years ago and once I got it fixed it works good.

I say I got it fixed because when I first got it it would not key my TS-2000. I tried everything. As a last resort I called BuxComm and they finally told me to send it back. I was going to try and key my radio from the ACC2 port direct to make sure the problem wasn't with my rig and I noticed something funny. The plug on the Rascal was UPSIDE DOWN! The molded plastic "UP" around the plug was installed 180 degrees out. After a week of pulling my hair out wondering why my Rascal wouldn't work, I unplugged the Rascal turned the plug upside down, plugged it into my radio, and it worked flawlessly.

I'm sure this was probably just a small oversight by someone building Rascals but, man, it like to drove me NUTS!

I got it up and running and use it frequently with my PSK31 program and it seems to work just like it ought to.

I'd say The Rascal is a great bargain and a good product.

Dub
N5NXX

N4MJG Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2008 04:00 Send this review to a friend
No Problem !  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
i got mine working good no problem here and it fits fine and was able to make it work,i'm using on my laptop win 2000 without any problem what so ever !

Jackie