Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Directional (Yagi, quad, etc.) | Hi-Par, Six Meter, 3 Element, "Hilltopper" Yagi Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Hi-Par, Six Meter, 3 Element, "Hilltopper" Yagi Antenna
Reviews: 2 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $21.00
Description: Classic portable six meter yagi antenna made by Hi-Par Products Company, Fitchburg, Ma in the 1960's & 1970's. Excellent for six meter rover and mountaintopping operations.

You can write your own review of the Hi-Par, Six Meter, 3 Element, "Hilltopper" Yagi Antenna.

VP2MRT Rating: 5/5 Dec 4, 2011 07:26 Send this review to a friend
Just GREAT !  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have two of these Hilltoppers for over 10 years. I use them for DXpeditions in the Caribbean. They go from packed to ready to mount in a matter of minutes. They are well built and have great gain and F/B. I haven't seen one at a hamfest tailgate in years but if you run across one, usually under the table, buy it for whatever he's selling it for. From Montserrat, I work into Europe regularly. You will be more than happy with this antenna and consider it worth it's weight in gold. ($1700.00 oz today) Mine packs into a 36" by 8" dia canvas bag and that includes coax and small mast. 73 Best DX!

N4UE Rating: 5/5 Jan 26, 2004 15:43 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Boy, this brings back memories. I lived in Fitchburg, Mass, back in the 70s. I met Henry (W1NEV) at one of the local radio club meetings. Henry had a shop in back of his home. He turned out a wide variety of antenns, Ham, Muzak, etc. His designs were excellent for the time. He always used first class (SS) fastners. His antennas were not )CAD CAM) designed, but worked very, very well.
I bought one of his 3 el 6 Meter 'Hilltoppers' and had an absolute ball with it. Equipment was a Lafayette HA-460 AM rig and about 10' of RS type mast. I had the bottom of the mast slid over a water pipe / flange screwed onto a board. Parked the rear tire of the car on it and used the ole' "armstrong" method of rotation.
I made almost weekly trips up to Mt. Wachusett (2000'+) in Mass, and to the top of Pack Monadnock in Cow, er, New Hampshire (3000'+).
With the Lafayette, and the 3 meter beam, I regularly worked 300-400 miles. Typically work 50-70 stations in a morning. Later, I bought another 3 el beam and actually used them stacked with a phasing harness, etc. Although this worked much better, the additional mechanical complexity (and wind load!), made me switch back to the single antenna.
I still have both and they look like the day Henry made them. His method of joining sections with 'tent pole buttons', is not only simple, it works perfectly......
I also had a couple of his 8 element 2 Meter Hilltoppers, but unfortunatly, sold them. Darn!
Total assembly time (no tools) for any of the Hilltippers, was about 1 minute!
Later, as SSB became popular, I used these fine antennas with an Icom 551D, but it just wasn't as much fun!

Ron