Reviews Categories | Ham Shack Clocks | LaCrosse Technologies Help

Reviews Summary for LaCrosse Technologies
LaCrosse Technologies Reviews: 20 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $20 - 50
Description: Atomic Wall Clock with Moon Phase
MSRP: $39.95

Radio controlled time (hour, minute, second)
Radio controlled date (month, date, year, day)
Indoor temperature (F or C)
Moon phase (8 phases)
Time alarm
Snooze for alarm
Day can be displayed in English, French, or Spanish
Dual LCD screens
Wall Hanging or Free-standing (fold out stand)
12 or 24 hour time mode
Time Zones from GMT to 12 GMT
Three letter identification for US time zones

Actual Size: 11.5 x 1 x 7.5"
More info: http://www.lacrossetechnology.com

You can write your own review of the LaCrosse Technologies.

KD8IWZ Rating: 1/5 Jan 12, 2013 07:12 Send this review to a friend
didn't last very long  Time owned: more than 12 months
Purchased and set up a WS-8115U clock with in/out temp, worked wonderfully for just over a year, then quit. No 'low batt' icon warning, just stopped working. Following the instructions, I replaced the batteries (twice), still nothing. Was a great product when it worked, but it's life was far too short. As this is the only La Crosse product I have owned, not sure if I got the 1-off 'lemon', but not about to spend my money on another.

WX2S Rating: 4/5 Dec 27, 2012 17:19 Send this review to a friend
Good UTC atomic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The clock can be set for 24-hour UTC (formerly known as Greenwich Mean Time), which makes it very useful as a ham shack clock. Time syncs with WWV to the second.

It can also be set not to blank in the dark. This requires disabling the solar battery -- a small price to pay because I need the clock running all the time even when my shack is dark.

Setup is not difficult if you are technically inclined. Function has been fine for a month now. Recommended.

Much better for the purpose than the Seiko QHR020WLH Advanced Technology R-Wave Desk Clock I had bought earlier that would not stay set to UTC.

W3LMW Rating: 5/5 Oct 2, 2012 14:05 Send this review to a friend
The right time at the right price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This review is for the La Crosse WS-8115U-B, which is a large display atomic digital clock with indoor & outdoor temperature. Bought it brand new for $26.99 on Ebay, with free shipping. It's also available with a silver border as model WS-8115U-S.

What's nice about this clock is that you can turn off the DST feature, choose a timezone offset of zero, and set it to 24 hour display mode so that it displays UTC time. Not all of the LaCrosse clocks provide this type of flexibility.

The display is large and has excellent contrast, so it can easily be seen from any reasonable angle and distance.

The clock locked on to the WWVB signal within about 5 minutes when I turned it on in the evening -- even from within my basement, which has a just few small windows.

The only shortcoming that I've found, albeit minor, is that you have to reconfigure the timezone and other settings if you take the batteries out.

I have enough outdoor temperature sensors already, so I'm trying to figure out another use for the remote temperature sensor. Maybe it would be useful to monitor the temperature near an amplifier's cooling fan.

KB3BTO Rating: 4/5 Aug 13, 2010 08:23 Send this review to a friend
TIME FAILURE REDUX  Time owned: more than 12 months
The capability to display the correct 24 hour time has magically returned after 1 week. Per my post of August 10, 2010, my La Crosse has suddenly begun to function properly once again. I did nothing else to it. I didn't even remove it from its space on the radio shack wall. There have been no severe thunder storms here but there has been a break in the high humidity, so I'm more confused now then I was then.
CME? Time gremlins? "Ghosts in the Machine?"

K5ADF Rating: 3/5 Aug 11, 2010 15:38 Send this review to a friend
Just OK  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one of these several years ago after reading the reports here on eham. It keeps accurate time and knows about the time changes. The major fault I have is that it has never locked onto the radio time signal. I replaced an older MFJ radio controlled clock that was popular at the time and actually worked! (MFJ did not manufacturer it!) So I know the signal is there and the LT should work. I gave up on it and use it as a regular clock. I have since bought a dual time MFJ clock (again not manufactured by MFJ!) and it locks onto the radio signal displaying both the local and GMT time without a problem. Since the two are mounted one above the other on an outside wall, I again know the LT has a problem with the radio time signal. Oh well.

KB3BTO Rating: 1/5 Aug 10, 2010 12:48 Send this review to a friend
TIME FAILURE  Time owned: more than 12 months
After my sad experience with an MFJ model, I went with the La Crosse model WT-8005 because I had no need for external temperature, or moon phase, and I had read the rave reviews regarding La Crosse here. Well, it worked perfectly for 1 year and then it began to display inaccurate time. I have followed the tech support advice, put in new batteries, hit the reset button, etc., all to no avail. As things now stand, I would have to report that this model performs no better than the MFJ-130RC that sits on a shelf, useless.

WV1K Rating: 5/5 Jul 23, 2010 08:48 Send this review to a friend
The best WWVB clocks I've tried  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
These clocks have been so good here that they set themselves in daylight in the winter, at 4 PM when I put the batteries in upon receipt. I have both the "oak" Walmart clock with the weather "barmoter" and the moon version that will do 24 hour UTC. Both are the 915 MHz sensor version. Both clocks sync up at least every 48 hours about as far east as you can go in the USA. The only "outages" are when there is a geomagnetic storm and when the batteries need to be replaced, despite the claims of the specs. A ham told me that the reason my clocks stopped syncing day after day despite keeping time, was that the battery low indication is fairly useless. Your clock will work, but if it stops setting the time even after 8 to 12 months, it needs new batteries. That was the case and the clocks both set themselves that night. I have the Walmart version set to F temperature in and out, and the UTC capable version set to the seconds display with the outside C temperature.

WA9AFM Rating: 5/5 Dec 14, 2009 06:18 Send this review to a friend
La Crosse WS-8157 - Update  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Took the defective 8157 to the 'Wally World' where it was purchased. They took it back and said to take another off the shelf. I put batteries in the 'new' one before leaving the customer service area; it didn't even display.

Went back and got a second one. Put the batteries in that one. The time and inside temperature came up in a heartbeat!! Put batteries in the outside sensor and it also actived quickly. It was the last one they had.

Glad I found a good one as it is a great addition to the shack.

K4ZNC Rating: 5/5 Dec 12, 2009 14:10 Send this review to a friend
Excellent for 10 years  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this particular LaCrosse atomic clock for about 10 years and it has not missed a beat in all those years. I can't speak for QC issues now, but very satisfied with my clock.

John K4ZNC

VE2JL Rating: 5/5 Nov 9, 2009 07:37 Send this review to a friend
Thumbs up!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought on AMAZON on a Wednesday and it arrived in under 48 hours, easy to program with manual. Replaced my QTR Yaesu. It SYNCED with WWVb on first night! It even looks good. More than paid for with sale of the old QTR on EPLAY. I really don't need the seconds count for casual ham hobby. I may buy a 24 hour analog model in the future and keep it on UTC, I guess I am from the analog generation.
Great to be able to see the outside temp from my shack.