Reviews Categories | Ham Shack Clocks | LaCrosse Technologies Help

Reviews Summary for LaCrosse Technologies
LaCrosse Technologies Reviews: 28 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $20 - 50
Description: Atomic Wall Clock with Moon Phase
MSRP: $39.95

Radio controlled time (hour, minute, second)
Radio controlled date (month, date, year, day)
Indoor temperature (F or C)
Moon phase (8 phases)
Time alarm
Snooze for alarm
Day can be displayed in English, French, or Spanish
Dual LCD screens
Wall Hanging or Free-standing (fold out stand)
12 or 24 hour time mode
Time Zones from GMT to 12 GMT
Three letter identification for US time zones

Actual Size: 11.5 x 1 x 7.5"
More info: http://www.lacrossetechnology.com

You can write your own review of the LaCrosse Technologies.

KG4NVV Rating: 5/5 Mar 21, 2017 12:14 Send this review to a friend
So Far, So Good!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This review is for the WT-8005 La Crosse atomic clock with internal temperature measurement (no outside temperature). It took about 5 minutes to lock on to the 60kHz WWVB signal, and has stayed locked on it, even in my office in a steel framed building. It has a DST button, which is handy. La Crosse claims the batteries will last 2 years; I'd be surprised if they get much beyond 1 year, but we'll see. The display has excellent contrast. All in all, I highly recommend it and it seems to be a good bargain at less than $25.

W9MT Rating: 4/5 Oct 25, 2016 20:40 Send this review to a friend
Clock is great. Outside temperature sensor doesn't last.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I originally bought this clock on a Christmas closeout sale at Kohl's in January about 12 years ago. I loved the cherry wood left and right flanks.

Syncs with WWVB just fine. You have to manually set the time and by the following morning the little radio beacon icon has stopped blinking and is solidly locked to the time standard at 60KHz in Colorado.

The weak point of the clock is the outside temperature sensor. Mine stopped working after 2 years. It magically fixed itself and then worked for a year and unfixed itself permanently. So, inside temperature was all I had after that. I would have rated the clock a 5 if the remote sensor/transmitter didn't do that. Overall, this is a very well thought-out product.

Batteries in the clock portion last about a year. The batteries in the remote temperature sensor/transmitter last half as long, on average.

The clock portion of my first unit finally died, too, just a few weeks ago. So, I bought an exact replacement from Amazon, just like other reviewers indicated, for about $26.

I felt I got my money's worth with both units.

Timex makes a similar clock with dual temperature readout, WWVB syncing, and a silver flanked finish on each side of the display. It, too, was a Kohl's closeout this past January in AZ for about $30. (I have that one at my AZ house.) It one-up's the LaCrosse with the ability to also do a blue "Indiglo-like" backlighting of the LCD readout when the room darkens. I turned off that function because it brightened its bedroom wall location too much at night.

Check out both units. You really can't go wrong with either one.

K1FPV Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2016 12:02 Send this review to a friend
8+ Years & It Still Doesn't Miss A Beat !  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my combination Atomic Clock & Weather combo now for well over 8 years! Temperature for both inside and outside are right on the nose!

My clock is located in my basement where my shack is and in-spite of being underground in the shack, it updates daily with Boulder except when there is some solar disturbances. Not bad seeing I'm nearly 2,000 miles from Colorado.

It was worth every cent I paid for it!

SWMAN Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2016 05:10 Send this review to a friend
Good for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have one of these little units and it has worked perfect for the past 11 years maybe, the older ones were not made in China not sure. But it is pretty accurate on time and temp even the remote temp is good. It sinks up to WWV very good. I guess I got lucky and got a good one.

W9BB Rating: 3/5 Jan 9, 2016 20:43 Send this review to a friend
Okay - but not accurate  Time owned: more than 12 months
Like the clocks, mine never seem to be in sync with WWV (atomic clocks) as one is always a bit fast and the other, slow...more or less rely on the computer clock for the time...sad. Nice clocks, but no amount of resetting, etc. gets them to sync up accurately.

SWMAN Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2015 04:07 Send this review to a friend
Pretty Good  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had mine for 11 years now and it works good for me. Batteries last well over a year. WWVB is received on my living room inside wall.The only problem is that the outside temp probe is always shown as 2 degrees high which isn't really a big problem. I called tech support and they said that it could be tweeted by an inside pot trimmer. Haven't done that yet in 11years. Time keeping is perfect. 73 Jim W5JJG

N4ZAW Rating: 5/5 Mar 22, 2015 14:16 Send this review to a friend
Nice item!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this clock in excess of 10 years (I don't remember for sure which year's local hamfest I bought it). The only issue I've found would be it's RX signal strength. I found it to only RX reliably on one wall in the shack, but it RX's flawlessly on that wall. To get an idea of the reliable RX distance from Colorado and the WWV broadcasts, I live in SW Florida. So if you ARE having problems with that, try placing somewhere other than inside of a Faraday cage (like three walls of my radio room apparently are). The only improvement I can suggest to make it better, would be an external antenna connector,and maybe another IF amp/detector stage.

Duracell (just stating the brand I always use) alkaline battery life is MUCH greater than 12months on both the clock and the remote temp sensor, with the clock itself lasting longer. I change both at the same time, and have yet to see the main unit battery low. I've checked the accuracy of the temperature sensors, both in-shack and at remote's site, and both are consistent, and accurate within 0.5 Fahrenheit, which is close enough for me.
I would HIGHLY recommend this clock, albeit, somewhat funny-lookin -- if they still make it, that is... But i'm not sure they do.

AI4WM Rating: 1/5 Jul 28, 2014 00:49 Send this review to a friend
Chinese Junk  Time owned: more than 12 months
I gave this clock a 1 because it does work like a normal clock. They look nice, but the quality is very bad. I have 2 of these and both are junk. The RX is not sensitive enough to RX WWV.
These clocks are difficult and time consuming to set. Even changing batteries is difficult as one cannont just pop the old ones out and new onew in. Generally takes ablut an hour to change batteries until the clock goes through its start-up and then seldom will RX WWV. One of my clocks will state the temperature sensor needs batteries even with new batteriesin both. Generally the low battery indicator will come on in about 2 weeks. Both clocks and sensors are well withinn range stated in the instructions. Even with lithium batteries the battery life is only about 6 months. Alkaline batteries are worse. I do not reccommend these clocks. Problem is to find any clock or electronics device not made in China.

KD8IWZ Rating: 1/5 Jan 12, 2013 07:12 Send this review to a friend
didn't last very long  Time owned: more than 12 months
Purchased and set up a WS-8115U clock with in/out temp, worked wonderfully for just over a year, then quit. No 'low batt' icon warning, just stopped working. Following the instructions, I replaced the batteries (twice), still nothing. Was a great product when it worked, but it's life was far too short. As this is the only La Crosse product I have owned, not sure if I got the 1-off 'lemon', but not about to spend my money on another.

WX2S Rating: 4/5 Dec 27, 2012 17:19 Send this review to a friend
Good UTC atomic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The clock can be set for 24-hour UTC (formerly known as Greenwich Mean Time), which makes it very useful as a ham shack clock. Time syncs with WWV to the second.

It can also be set not to blank in the dark. This requires disabling the solar battery -- a small price to pay because I need the clock running all the time even when my shack is dark.

Setup is not difficult if you are technically inclined. Function has been fine for a month now. Recommended.

Much better for the purpose than the Seiko QHR020WLH Advanced Technology R-Wave Desk Clock I had bought earlier that would not stay set to UTC.