Reviews Categories | Ham Shack Clocks | LaCrosse Technologies Help

Reviews Summary for LaCrosse Technologies
LaCrosse Technologies Reviews: 20 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $20 - 50
Description: Atomic Wall Clock with Moon Phase
MSRP: $39.95

Radio controlled time (hour, minute, second)
Radio controlled date (month, date, year, day)
Indoor temperature (F or C)
Moon phase (8 phases)
Time alarm
Snooze for alarm
Day can be displayed in English, French, or Spanish
Dual LCD screens
Wall Hanging or Free-standing (fold out stand)
12 or 24 hour time mode
Time Zones from GMT to 12 GMT
Three letter identification for US time zones

Actual Size: 11.5 x 1 x 7.5"
More info: http://www.lacrossetechnology.com

You can write your own review of the LaCrosse Technologies.

K4ZNC Rating: 5/5 Nov 4, 2009 09:20 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Clock!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this digital clock for at least 7 years. It has never missed a beat and is easy to program. You won't go wrong with this jewel, and it looks very elegant in the shack.

AE6OU Rating: 5/5 Jul 4, 2008 14:52 Send this review to a friend
Best Buy For Hams  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Forget the MFJ junk. Bought the WS8117U-IT-OAK and it worked great out of the box. Does UTC and 24 hour time the right way (8pm displayed as 20:00 unlike some other models). Date is displayed as D/M and you have to trade off the year for the seconds display. Comes with external temperature transmitter. Got mine from www.ambientweather.com for $24.95 plus $8.08 s/h.

Got it to replace the MFJ 130RC which continuously would lose correct time even though the antenna symbol showed the clock was receiving WWVB. The date would jump randomly also. It's heading to the recycle bin. And the LaCrosse time digits are 2.25" high the same as the MFJ.

VE6XL Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2007 00:44 Send this review to a friend
Reliable & Accurate  Time owned: more than 12 months
They have several models, all with similar basic features.

Mine has been running in the shack for several years on the original batteries. Syncronizes easily from Edmonton Canada.

Useful information on WWVB 60kHz signal can be found at: http://tf.nist.gov/stations/wwvb.htm

www.ve6xl.ca

K5OQ Rating: 4/5 Apr 25, 2006 14:35 Send this review to a friend
6002U has no leading 2  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the WS-6002U frm Amazon. It found WWV right away. But when 2000 UTC rolled around, there was no leading 2! The manual says 24-hr mode not recommended, as display does not show first digit "2." With a magnifying glass, I noticed this upon a second reading. Had an Atomic clock near the TV that I bought years ago - made in China, like the LaCrosse. Noticed it had a wider display and had same Set and + buttons. Discovered it had GMT/UTC, same setting codes, and showed the leading 2. It now is in ham shack and the LaCrosse is in the living room on CDT (in 12-hr-mode, of course).

KE9K Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2006 10:24 Send this review to a friend
GREAT CLOCK !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just got model ws-8117u with oak trim. Very large and easy to read numbers. 12 or 24 hour clock, indoor and outdoor temperature readings, month/day/date, and moon phase. Put the batteries in and it got the radio signal within 5 minutes. I am very pleased with how it works and the oak trim really sets it off. Joe ke9k

NV0U Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2006 21:13 Send this review to a friend
Awesome!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been searching for years for an atomic clock that does UTC. This thing is just the ticket. I got one of the La Crosse weather stations so the thing will serve dual duty here in the shack. It is finally nice to have the time accurate *and* see it as UTC instead of having to convert it myself. Hats off to La Crosse!

W0QU Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2005 11:26 Send this review to a friend
GMT Atomic Clock  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been looking for an atomic clock with a 12/24 hour digital display and a selectable GMT zone setting ... and I just found it at Best Buy.

Google shows it for sale at other places such as Universal Radio ($38.95) and Amazon.com ($34.95), but being able to grab it off the shelf and take it home was worth paying an extra $5 ... which I probably would have spent for shipping from Amazon or Universal.

With extras like wireless outdoor and indoor temperature, moon phase, calendar display, Alarm and snooze functions, Daylight Savings Time ON/OFF option, 4 languages, 12/24 hour time display I'm very happy to have found this atomic clock for my ham shack!

The LaCrosse web site whill show you both retail and online merchants and online product support at

K9YNF Rating: 5/5 May 28, 2005 13:11 Send this review to a friend
Perfect Accuracy!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been a DXer for over 40 years and have owned just about every kind of shack clock. I purchased the model WS-8157U from Atomic Time in Oakbrook,IL, after studying ALL the La Crosse models. My model features an atomic clock with outdoor temperature and weather forecast, housed in a beautiful oak-trimmed flat black case. It has a very handy rear swing-out leg so it can be free standing or wall-mounted.

Without a doubt, this digital clock is the best for a ham station, having UTC readout capability and it is NEVER wrong (I like to see the minute digit roll over exactly when WWV's does)! I set all my house clocks and my watch with this La Crosse clock!

WB4M Rating: 5/5 May 24, 2005 20:45 Send this review to a friend
Great Hamshack Clock  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was looking for an atomic clock that would read UTC, and most atomic clocks will only work in the 4 USA time zones. I ran across the La Crosse website, and looked at several that they offer. I did not want the wall clock, but instead a smaller one to sit on my desk. I ended up buying the WS-8056U model.
The clock displays UTC in large numerals, day, date and month, and also indoor and outdoor temperature. You can select 3 languages, 12/24hr format, and temperature in either C or F.
It is also an alarm clock with nice blue backlighting. Both the clock and remote sensor for the outdoor temperature run on 2-AA batteries.
Setting the clock up is a snap and the little manual is very clearly written. When I first put the batteries in, I thought the clock was not going to sync with WWV, but the manual says to just let it sit over night and it will try to sync once each hour. Sure enough, the next morning, the time, day, and date were set and the clock was on the money when I checked it against WWV on 10mhz.
I found the best price for it from Amazon.Com, $29.98. Other stores were selling it from $35.00 to $43.00. If you take advantage of Amazon's Visa Card offer, you can get this clock for only 2 (two) cents! Yes, 2 cents. Check it out! (I am not affiliated with Amazon in any way). Email me if you have any questions about this nice clock.

KB3DVS Rating: 5/5 Dec 29, 2003 19:16 Send this review to a friend
Spiffy Clock, great service.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the WS-8007 wall clock with moon phase and indoor thermomitor.
Actually I purchased a different clock first but when I found out the inane fact that 80% of atomic clocks can't be set to GMT, then I looked some more and found the LaCrosse clock. I bought it at radio shack for $14 with box damage but the clock was perfect. It looks nice, offers a commanding view of the room and receives WWVB in Philadelphia, PA, USA.

It was a nice comparison to the first clock which could ONLY be set to the four continental time zones. So if you want UTC on your atomic clock, you almost can't get it. At first I though I could just cheat the time zone, but I quickly realized that it takes the atomic time and resets itself. Duh. Back to the store it went.

The LacCrosse clock handles times zones from London to Hawaii. !!!
You wouldn't be able to receive the WWVB signal in England (see the NIST web site for propagation info) but you can set this clock to receive the time and then apply the apropriate offset to give UTC. Plus it offers 24 hour time to boot (many clocks don't.)

Setup was easy. I first put in the all the right info and then hung it over my radio. It didn't seem to be able to hear WWVB. So I removed the batteries per the instructions, put them back in and set it on my windowsill. Later that day I came back and all the info was displayed properly. I then rehung it over the radio and it indicates that it's hearing the atomic signal just fine. I turn my radio on WWV and the clock changes the minute right on the money.

So the performance of the clock has been perfect. It was also WAY easier to program than the first one. Not only does the item you are setting blink, but in another part of the display, it tells you what you are setting (date, time, etc.) I've never had a more helpful digital clock.

It has an alarm, but snooze is a button on the back, so it's really designed as a wall clock. But if you have a regular schedule to keep, that could be handy.

Lastly, but certainly not leastly, is the reason I'm writing the review.
Their customer service (in December 2003) blew me away.

I thought the light/dark design of the moon phase should be reversed- a light moom on a dark background- like we see it in the sky. I went to their web site and them wrote an e-mail about my preference, expecting the same service I get from many web sites- little to none.
I got a call from LaCrosse Technologies the very next day. He left a message.
I called him back. We spoke. He explained their reasoning. I still disagreed but I accepted it. I got a response. A fast response. A direct response.

So they demonstrated to me that they care about their products and the customer.
So because of excellent product AND excellent service, I heartily recommed LaCrosse products.