Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Comet SSB-7NMO 2/440 mobile antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Comet SSB-7NMO 2/440 mobile antenna
Comet SSB-7NMO 2/440 mobile antenna Reviews: 43 Average rating: 3.2/5 MSRP: $79.95
Description: 2M @ 4.5 dBi 5/8; 440 @ 7.2 dBi 5/8x3; <1.5:1; 70W FM; 4'7"
More info: http://www.cometantenna.com/mobile.html

You can write your own review of the Comet SSB-7NMO 2/440 mobile antenna.

N9PBD Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2016 12:14 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this antenna on my main ham radio car on a center-of-the roof NMO mount for over a year. By far the best dual band NMO antenna I have. Low SWR (<1.3:1 on VHF and <1.4:1 on UHF), and great gain. I run full time APRS at 50 watts on the antenna, while using both VHF and UHF voice with great results. Remembering to fold the antenna when going into garages, or under low overhangs is very important. If you can get in the habit, you'll have great success with this antenna.
Love this antenna, and have had zero issues.

K1DUN Rating: 5/5 Sep 6, 2014 14:49 Send this review to a friend
Hear what you're missing!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the PL-259 version of this antenna and it's the best mobile antenna I've used to date. I've used three smaller antennas in the past, but none of them pull in repeaters like this one! When I first mounted this on my Diamond K600S mount and was driving over a hill, I could hear two repeaters that were each about 60 miles away! No issues with the construction of this antenna yet.

WE3M Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2014 08:26 Send this review to a friend
Very good antenna!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own a PL-259 mount version of this antenna on my Jeep Wrangler and have to use the hinge feature twice a day when entering and exiting the parking garage at work. Because a Jeep Wrangler has little topside metal for a ground plane, mine is on a spotlight bracket just forward of the left "A" pillar and I can reach it from the window to raise and lower as necessary.

I have never had a problem with signal or reaching distant repeaters even at their max range, and am quite impressed at how this antenna handles the power from my stock IC-7000.

My only issue was that the fold-over hinge finally failed at the 13 month mark, just out of warranty, due to a hinge pin sliding out and causing wear. I e-mailed Comet describing the problem and they immediately replaced the entire base AT THEIR EXPENSE within the week! Their customer service more than made up for this one rare failure and I would buy a Comet antenna again.

N8PHL Rating: 2/5 Jan 29, 2013 06:09 Send this review to a friend
What junk Total crap  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had # of them over the last 5 years and every one has died.
I have never had them mounted where they would hit trees or anything, always mounted with a good solid NMO mount.
I never ran more then 50 watts with this antenna. All 3 of them have went deaf on the 70cm band and they have all had load failure.
For a antenna that costs around $80.00 one would expect to be better then this.
I get maybe a year and a half out of this antenna and then I have to replace it.
It is a shame that this antenna is such junk because it works well when it works but when it goes bad it is junk.

N0FPE Rating: 0/5 Nov 11, 2012 15:05 Send this review to a friend
Junk  Time owned: more than 12 months
had 2 of these POS antennas over the course of 3 years. First one broke at the base and I got a replacement for the cost of shipping. 2nd one died and killed my radio in the process. I was informed I could get a new antenna if I shipped the bad one back at MY expense. And of course no help with the dead radio. These antennas were not beat on trees or anything for that matter. Always just highway driving with GOOD mounts. Toosed the thing in the trash and moved on. Dont buy one unless you want to have nothing but problems and have money to buy a new radio!

Junk

KC9IBS Rating: 0/5 Nov 11, 2012 06:30 Send this review to a friend
Sucks  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had 2 of tham in 5yrs thay come apart at the base swr go high on 2m 2.1/ 440 4.1 junk !!!!!

p.s the fold down is good

WD8BPT Rating: 5/5 Jul 27, 2012 19:02 Send this review to a friend
GREAT  Time owned: more than 12 months
For three yrs it has been on the top of my light bar on my 4wheel dr Pickup. It shows the lowest swr of any of my dual band antennas and performs great on cross band repeat. It has been beat up by many tree branches on city side streets and still survives. I also run an SBB-5,AX75 and a couple of mono band 1/4 wave mag mounts. Truck light bar will not clear garage door opening, a blessing in disguise.

N4UXY Rating: 2/5 Mar 2, 2012 17:19 Send this review to a friend
fell apart  Time owned: more than 12 months
An excellent performer radio wise the SBB-7 PL-259 connector version.
I've own it for about 2.5 years.
The failure is the press on PL-259 worked loose. just from wind speeds of 75 mph.
It has never hit any thing but maybe bugs.
This is too expensive of an antenna to have this happen. Guess I will go back to a Larson
Demand more for your money, tell Japan to quit making junk. And quit rating the antennas in Dbi , they pump up DB sales pich and give you less!
We want more for our money!

AA8XR Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2012 09:26 Send this review to a friend
excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
An excellent performer. I have the SBB-7, which is the pl259 connector version of the antenna, not the NMO version. This antenna mounted on the trunk of the car with the EM5M antenna mount works very well. It hears a lot more than previously mounted antennas. I also have the CSB 790A Comet in UHF PL259 mount as well. It also is an excellent performer mounted with the HD5M mount. I would recommend either antenna. Both antennas replace a Diamond SG7900 UHF mount dual band antenna, that was broken more than 3 times and problematic.

VE6BGM Rating: 5/5 Sep 14, 2011 20:25 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
So far, this is the best antenna I have used mobile and base. On mag. mount and fixed. Only problem I had was when I forgot I had on roof and drove into a garage and broke it. My fault totally. Do make sure all screws are tight. At least 3 S units more receive than any antenna I have used. And it receives through all the frequencies from air to 800.