Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Comet SSB-7NMO 2/440 mobile antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Comet SSB-7NMO 2/440 mobile antenna
Comet SSB-7NMO 2/440 mobile antenna Reviews: 42 Average rating: 3.1/5 MSRP: $79.95
Description: 2M @ 4.5 dBi 5/8; 440 @ 7.2 dBi 5/8x3; <1.5:1; 70W FM; 4'7"
More info: http://www.cometantenna.com/mobile.html

You can write your own review of the Comet SSB-7NMO 2/440 mobile antenna.

GOLDTR8 Rating: 0/5 May 7, 2011 14:52 Send this review to a friend
Poor Antenna Will Look Eleswhere  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had this antenna for 8 month and I have had lots of SWR problems early on. I have bonded it multiple ways, cleaned the mounting, taken it apart and cleaned every connection in the whip and it still was high. Now after a winter in Michigan the SWR is over 3 and I have not been able to bring it back in line.

It never received well and I never had good signal reports with my IC-7000.

So I am done with this one and something else will be going on the Jeep.

I have great HF performance on my rig but this antenna never worked.

At least it was cheap and I did not loose a lot of money on it.

N2LWE Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2010 22:46 Send this review to a friend
Great performance  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great antenna. I've had mine approximately five or six years and have never had a problem. Antenna performs very well and is mounted on a magmount with three five inch magnets and even though I remove it every day to prevent it from being stolen, it's never affected it's performance.

WL7XR Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2010 17:11 Send this review to a friend
Best I Tested  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have tested maxrad, Antron, Diamond, this antenna whips them all, best signal report from the sbb-7 NMO. Won't take a lot of abuse from trees, but who cares, I want the best performance, if I tear it up I would buy another SBB-7

W5LZ Rating: 3/5 Sep 15, 2010 05:03 Send this review to a friend
Okay with some "but's".  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Got one about a year ago, tried it, wasn't all that impressed. Biggest draw-back was the height of the antenna and it's 'stiffness', just didn't work out well for the top of the truck (trees-n-stuff). So reverted back to what I had been using. Finally gave it away. I've noticed that the one I gave it to isn't using it either! :)
Paul

W4YJ Rating: 3/5 Sep 13, 2010 18:54 Send this review to a friend
Not too good  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned 3 of these antennas over the past 4 years. Two of them failed in the first year that I owned them. I finally figured out how to disassemble this antenna and discovered that the coil had become unsoldered where it attaches to the section that unscrews and pivots above the bottom coil at the base. It appears that the solder job is very poor at this point. After resoldering the antenna works fine. Be careful when you are unscrewing the whip where it piviots 90 degrees as that is the weak point. If you twist too hard that solder connection WILL break!
73s Steve

VA3COW Rating: 5/5 Sep 6, 2010 19:24 Send this review to a friend
Loved it for many years, till this one.  Time owned: more than 12 months
From day one it provided me with great QSO's, Toronto to Rochester and Buffalo regularly, however it seems to have succumbed to old age and having tested SWR, its cable seems to be in need of replacing. Don't know if the antenna itself (yet) is finished but don't care to invest $50 in a new cable to find the antenna is dead. Might just buy a complete new unit.

KD8NUX Rating: 5/5 Aug 18, 2010 07:19 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna for my HT when in the car!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I use an Icom 91A w/ a D-Star chip and the SBB-7 for volunteering with emergency services. I needed a HT for field work, and chose the SBB-7 NMO and a magmount (5" mfj, I think) for when I'm in the car. Since I live in a suburban home and park my car in a garage, the antenna is definitely too tall to keep on the all the time. But that is alright, since I only attach the mag mount and antenna when I'm going to training or field exercises. I am able to hit the local repeaters (~20mi) and talk miles on simplex, all at 5 watts.

KI6SZ Rating: 3/5 Jan 17, 2010 16:13 Send this review to a friend
Very Good for three years, but defective now  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a very good antenna -- worked well and the fold-over feature was quite handy. Up until this past week, the antenna had worked great. During the past week, I noticed a significant reduction in performance with every repeater signal strength many S-units below normal and many that I could no longer access. Removing the antenna from the NMO base revealed the problem -- the "button contact" in the base of the antenna which contacts the center conductor of the car-attached NMO mount was no longer making contact -- it is normally spring-loaded but it appears that it has failed and there is no longer a good electrical contact between the corresponding NMO connector center-pins. I attempted dis-assembly of the base of the antenna, but have had no success. I will purchase another of these antennas to replace it with, but I'm puzzled as to why the contact should have failed. It has been in steady use for just over 2 years. I could give it a Zero, but it has worked so well up until this past week... Prior to this it was a solid "5".

K6NJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 17, 2010 08:43 Send this review to a friend
A good antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've only had this antenna for a couple of months, but at 55 inches it isn't to big, but offers BIG performance. I have the NMO mount and have switched between several antennas while stitting in the driveway. This antenna, by far, pulls in the weaker signals on both the 2 meter and 70 CM bands. So far, no problem with a large 5 inch mag mount on the roof of my truck. I would recommend this antenna.

VE5NAT Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2008 16:14 Send this review to a friend
still going strong  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well I've had this antenna for a little over 3 years... still no problems. I check the swr and all the screws every 6 months with no issues. The collar likes to work itself loose a couple a threads every couple of months. *not a huge deal*
Other than the fact I'm using it with the lossy mini coax which I think is making my antenna deaf as a door post, I've made contacts to repeaters nearly 300mi away with good results.
This antenna lived through ice fog, with 120km/h driving and 1/4 inch of ice on it. Still not broken or cracked.
I think that comet released a bad batch of these antennas in the beggining, just like the Icom 7000's back in the day.

I highly recommend this antenna to everyone.