Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | MFJ-922 VHF/UHF Compact Antenna Tuner Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-922 VHF/UHF Compact Antenna Tuner
MFJ-922 VHF/UHF Compact Antenna Tuner Reviews: 8 Average rating: 2.8/5 MSRP: $Price: $79.95
Description: "This compact dual band VHF/UHF antenna tuner has a single meter that reads SWR and power. No zero adjustment needed. It covers VHF from 136 to 175 MHz and UHF from 420 to 460 MHz. You can read power up to 150 Watts. Its super-compact size lets you take it anywhere -- you can put it in your shirt pocket! carry it with you in your car, camping trips, etc. Tuning tool included."
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-922

You can write your own review of the MFJ-922 VHF/UHF Compact Antenna Tuner.

K6LMP Rating: 4/5 Jan 31, 2010 13:15 Send this review to a friend
Solid, Reliable, Accurate...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
...once you get it adjusted properly. Bought one of these used at ham swap meet for $40. SWR readings were high on antenna known to be good. Adjusted trimmer caps per instruction manual. Now works like a charm. Shows power output accurately, SWR reads right, on both 2 meters and 70 cm. I wonder if those who trashed this little box in reviews ever went through the trimmer adjustment process.

The trimmer adjustment is a bit tedious -- takes about 30 minutes to obtain lowest SWR and max power output, especially on 440, where you have 3 trimmers to adjust.

KB9WSL Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2008 19:57 Send this review to a friend
Handy device / KB9WSL  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my MFJ-922 for a couple of years now. It is a handy device in my shack. It's nice to be able to check power output and SWR for my VHF and UHF antennas. I am glad I purchased it.It's compact size makes it nice when operating portable too.

W2BRI Rating: 0/5 Sep 5, 2006 15:02 Send this review to a friend
Fool me once  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is not worth the time it takes to throw away. It is useless power eating box of junk. Stay away. You will not be happy.

KC9GUZ Rating: 0/5 Apr 22, 2006 18:57 Send this review to a friend
Bottom of the barrel GARBAGE!!!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
What a freaking JOKE!! Didnt work out of the box. Biggest waste of money ever.. Might as well flush $80.00 down the stool that pretty much is what you are doing. I do NOT understand why on earth MFJ consistently tries to put out garbage.
GET A CLUE MFJ! :-(

W4TME Rating: 0/5 Jun 9, 2005 20:39 Send this review to a friend
Don't bother. Spend you $ on an antenna analyzer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had the MFJ-922 for a few years, but only used it for a little while when I was using a discone for 2 and 0.70 meters. Once I upgraded the antenna and used an antenna analyzer to tune the antenna, I quit using it.

Recently I hooked up a rig to a 2 meter antenna of which I did not know the SWR or resonance point (X=0), so I decided to use it again. I tuned the 922 to a low SWR and started using the rig. Almost immediately, I noticed that my output power cut back to 50%. I decided to check the antenna and the tuner with an antenna analyzer.

I was amazed that the SWR was very high at the operating frequency. I removed the 922 and checked the antenna directly and the SWR was 1.2:1, R=48 ohms and X=2 at the same frequency. The antenna was almost dead on resonant. I reconnected the antenna sans tuner to the rig and got full power out of the rig. I did some more tests with the tuner and the antenna analyzer and the 922 consistently made the SWR MUCH MUCH worse than the natural SWR of the antenna at the test frequencies.

I do not know if this unit is defective or what. It appears to tune the antenna fine, but the analyzer tells a completely different story. I called MFJ, described the test and the results, and initially received some BS about the antenna analyzer not working correctly and after I challenged them about it, then they changed their story and wanted me to return it for non-warranty repair. It is not worth my time or expense to take that course of action. I cannot recommend this tuner to anyone. It definitely does not work as advertised. I also cannot sell it knowing good and well that it is defective. I guess it is going into the trash bin.

-Tim

KI4CFS Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2004 01:24 Send this review to a friend
I feel safer with it...  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After I bought it everone said I did not need it. And after several months of having it I really like it. I can alway make sure that the antenna has the lowest SWR, leave it in-line if a problem comes up. Only one thing to know. You can not use this as a stand alone swr meter for it the tuner and meter are together and the tuner part can not be bipassed for testing. Like to know what you think?

KI4CFS Martin

KA7GKN Rating: 3/5 Mar 3, 2004 19:29 Send this review to a friend
the only choice for now  Time owned: more than 12 months
Since this is the only entry in uhf/vhf tuners there is little to compare it to.
I have used it with a DDRR dual band mobile antenna for a while then took it out of line. I also used it with a diamond X200 for a while and again took it out of line. my dual band radios seem to tolerate the swr swings across the uhf/vhf bands better than with the tuner in line.

I have doubts on the accuracry of the metering.

I find the adjustment of the variable capacitors
an arduous process. The slots for the tuning tool are not very deep and the tool does not fit very well. very little tweeking and maybe a better design would improve that ...yeah it might cost more but if it works better that's fine!

In Arizona we have repeaters across both the uhf and vhf bands, so narrow band antennas can not handle the bandwidth, thus you'd think the tuner would help. Well, from my experience the tuner will lower the swr but when you go to another portion of the band you need to readjust alot.
this makes mobile operation across the bands difficult and you'd be better off getting a better antenna. the DDRR has a narrow bandwidth.

The diamond antenna states it's broadband but your coax run could effect that due to coax losses.

bottom line.... Since I'm not aware of any other product like this, in a pinch it's ok. I would
like to see something built a little larger with a smoother adjustment process and more forgiving in allowing a wider bandwidth in coverage.

marty ka7gkn

KI4CFS Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2003 17:09 Send this review to a friend
Like the unit!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am a new ham that is using it with my IC-706MKIG. It seems to work as it was advertised, simple but clear instructions, and an added safeguard for the finals on the IC-706. It also let me run a “home made” antenna in my attic with out worry and their was a little SWR on it that I could tune to 1:1 easily. It is not a stand alone SWR / Power Meter because you can not separate the tuning circuit from the meter but it is not advertised as such either.

KI4CFS – Martin