Reviews Categories | Ham Shack Clocks | SkyScan Indoor/Outdoor Temp w/Atomic Clock Help

Reviews Summary for SkyScan Indoor/Outdoor Temp w/Atomic Clock
SkyScan Indoor/Outdoor Temp w/Atomic Clock Reviews: 17 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $Varies
Description: Available from time to time at Sams Club.
More info: http://www.skyscan.info

You can write your own review of the SkyScan Indoor/Outdoor Temp w/Atomic Clock.

K8WV Rating: 5/5 Jun 5, 2008 18:23 Send this review to a friend
Perfect!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Like W0KIE, I bought the Model 87801 (black) from Sam's Club. I have absolutely no complaints.

I love "atomic" clocks, and have four of them, and two watches. All work perfectly. Most will not set to UTC/GMT. The 87800/1 does.

I've been licensed for 45 years (at this writing) and not having to synchronize the shack clock is a great relief. And for $20?? Certainly!

Oh, hams love to talk about the weather. Having the outdoor temp hanging on the wall in front of me is quite handy. (Your choice of F or C.) I still have to look out the window to see if it's raining.

W7IAN Rating: 0/5 Mar 23, 2008 09:27 Send this review to a friend
terrible  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought a Skyscan model 88825. Set for 24 hour time it would revert back to 12 hour time after 48 hours each time. Then set it for 12 hour time, at 6 pm it would set itself back an hour. Emailed Skyscan and they were no help at all.

W7RJR Rating: 4/5 Mar 14, 2008 15:49 Send this review to a friend
Minor problem  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have experienced the same problem with the outside temperature display showing "--" periodically. I suspect this is a result of RF getting into it from one of my nearby transmitters.

The cure is to reset both the indoor and outdoor devices. Remove the batteries for about a minute, replace them, push the reset switch and manually reset the date and time. It should work perfectly again, at least for a while.

N0TAN Rating: 3/5 Mar 14, 2008 13:49 Send this review to a friend
Great features, weak temp receiver.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had a number of these. Currently have three, all working off of the same temp transmitter.

The temp transmitter is bulletproof and the batteries last in it forever. The problem is I have had three different clocks just stop displaying outside temp. They al keep perfect time, but the outside temp display goes "--".

I have thrown away two of them and my third one just went blank. I still have two that work.

They seem to last about two years. Each time I replace one, I get a new transmitter. I have a drawer with five transmitters, all still in their bubble wrap; so if anybody needs a new transmitter, send an email to me with your address.

W0KIE Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2007 19:24 Send this review to a friend
Great cheap UTC Clock  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the brown SkyScan model 87800 from Sams. See:

It keeps perfect UTC (GMT) Coordinated Universal Time. By mounting the outdoor transmitter on my ham mast it displays very accurate outdoor temperature as well as indoor temperature. The moon phase display is bass ackwards. The bright part of the clock's moon display shows the dark side of the moon so to speak. Cost about $22 at Sams whenever they are available. The shipping carton doesn't mention UTC but the clock displays UTC when you set the time zone as zero.

K3GI Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2007 18:34 Send this review to a friend
Nice Product!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've got three of these. Two in the shack, one for local, one for UTC. I have another one for my office at work. I work in a metal building, so I have to put that one in the window once in a while to catch the signal from Colorado. Those at home don't need to go in the window to pick up the signal. All work flawlessly. It's real nice not to have to reset them manually. The indoor/outdoor temp is a plus. They even know the new DST. They work as advertised.

W2NSF Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2007 15:24 Send this review to a friend
Keeps on ticking...  Time owned: more than 12 months
Got this one as a gift a couple of Christmases ago. Once you put it on an outside wall, it finds the WWV signal every time. Big display is nice, as is the inside/outside temps. It's on the office wall, which is also the ham shack.

N0XAS Rating: 4/5 Jan 24, 2007 11:30 Send this review to a friend
Works fine for me!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have two Skyscan clocks. One is the model without the outdoor temp, which I keep set for 24 hour UTC in the shack. The other is with the outdoor temp, which I keep on the basement wall near the computer desk. Both work fine.

I would swap the two, but the remote transmitter wouldn't quite make the trip to where I have the other clock. Also, the other one syncs time from WWVB in the shack, while this one won't a lot of the time. The remote temp sensor did fine until it got waterlogged, so I need to fix that, but overall I've been pretty happy with both of mine. batteries last a long time, I only have to replace them every couple of years I think.

ANDREW_P Rating: 4/5 Oct 11, 2006 19:56 Send this review to a friend
Good product, poor instructions  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own a SkyScan Model 87310 Atomic Clock with indoor/outdoor temperature display. When the outdoor temperature display went to "--" a couple of years ago, I assumed the 433 MHz remote temperature transmitter had failed. Purchased from Costco several years ago, the original instructions were sketchy and had no contact information for the manufacturer.

Based on product review information posted on this site for the Skyscan Atomic Moon Phase Clock, I learned that the remote transmitter and clock need to be synchronized when the transmitter batteries are changed. Using this information I was able to get my remote temperature reading to work once again.

However, if you perform all the steps and your Atomic Clock still doesn't display the remote temperature, you can visit http://www.skyscan.info for instructions on how to order a replacement 433 MHz transmitter for US$10.00. You can also download detailed instructions in MS Word format on setting and troubleshooting most of their Atomic Clock models.

N4VNV Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2006 07:31 Send this review to a friend
SUPER!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Don't know about KE5GK's situation. I've had two of them for over three years. Had one temp tx go bad and the company replaced it for free. I also just use one temp TX at a time for both clocks. They are not near as difficult to set-up as the instructions lead you to believe. I LOVE 'EM!