Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | Kent KT-1 Professional straight key Help

Reviews Summary for Kent KT-1 Professional straight key
Kent KT-1 Professional straight key Reviews: 12 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $135
Description: This is Robert Kent's Professional model on a heavy metal base. This key is NOT distributed by Alpha Delta in the U.S., but available direct from Kent
More info: http://www.kent-engineers.com/morseKEYindex.htm

You can write your own review of the Kent KT-1 Professional straight key.

PA1RF Rating: 5/5 Apr 21, 2014 09:15 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Many years ago, when I passed my morse exam, I got one as a present from my lovely wife Ria. It is really a juwel and working with the Kent straight key is just fun!

K3WAS Rating: 5/5 Nov 28, 2013 22:40 Send this review to a friend
Wow  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got one for my birthday! I am floored. What a great feel and performance! I love it!

KA3NXN Rating: 5/5 Nov 29, 2011 11:19 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic 15 years and going!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased mine back in the mid 90's and fell in love with it from the day it arrived. It's nice and heavy and the bearings make it really smooth.

M0WDE Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2011 08:41 Send this review to a friend
Superb Key  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I converted my Kent low-line key (wooden base) to the KT-1 with the assistance of the Kent conversion kit as the KT-1 uses the same lever and bearing assembly. It has very much improved the "feel" of the key which is very smooth and well balanced.

26JLH Rating: 5/5 Jun 10, 2010 13:47 Send this review to a friend
good key made well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
very good one of the best, i am a novice at cw but i know good when i see it, and this is no crap.built to last till you peg out and then it can be put in your coffin with you if you like..
jeff........m6-glh england uk....

G3PNJ Rating: 5/5 Mar 30, 2010 13:02 Send this review to a friend
Just Superb  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Around 20 years ago I built the Straight Key (SK-1 ??) from the kit. It was all I expected from an up-market straight key. There was, and is no play in the pivot, the action is smooth with no discernable friction. I like to set the key with minimal spring tension and a very narrow gap. This I could do with the key.... However, after a few years i noted that the gap varied with changes in temperature and humidity, thus needing more than occasional adjustment. I found out by accident that the moving parts are identical to that of the KT-1 model, and a conversion kit is available. Ordered one and the rebuild took less than an hour. It feels like a brand new key now and is a delight to use. The new base is slightly smaller and lower - it is very comfortable to use - even with arthritis..

de John, G3PNJ

N4LCD Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2009 09:01 Send this review to a friend
Great feel - well made  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the Kent straight key with the heavy steel base directly from Kent in England and it was shipped to me (in the U.S.) from Germany.

The heavy steel base allows me to use it at the edge of the desk with my arm off the desk. It's heavy enough that I don't need to secure the key to the desktop.

It replaces an old Speed-X.

It has very fine threads for precise adjustment. Ball bearings. Comes with the wire attached. I added a 1/4" mono phone plug and was in business.

It's a pleasure to use.

I looked at other ball bearing straight keys on heavy bases and the Kent was the best deal. I also tried out many other keys without ball bearings at hamfests and didn't care for them.

I like the key and recommend it to anyone wanting a high end straight key with a heavy steel base.

If you don't need a heavy steel base, Kent makes a version with a wood base.

K9BAG Rating: 5/5 Apr 7, 2009 11:51 Send this review to a friend
Solid CW Key  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered the KT-1 with metal base as a kit. Ordered it on-line from Kent specifying the metal base. It came in 8 days, shipped from Germany (?). Assembly went smoothly. The craftsmanship in this product is high for fit and finish. Keying with it is nicely different (ref. J-38 types), V-solid feel. Actually I sense this key articulates feed back to the sender, that sort of feel. I chose this Kent after browsing key reviews here and following up at the Kent site with an order. I'm glad I chose this Kent model. 73 - Peter

N0JL Rating: 5/5 Apr 16, 2007 15:34 Send this review to a friend
Current favorite straight key.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have used this beast for several months now. I key with keyboard, iambic paddle (Kent), single lever (Kent), and straight key. If it is under about 20 wpm, I use this thing. Heavy, doesn't move and I even like the European type of sending. Yes, I would buy another.

KD0V Rating: 5/5 Jul 26, 2006 17:19 Send this review to a friend
Good, Positive Key  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The key is very well made. It stays put and is very smooth to use. It replaced a very old and very poor condition J-38. This key has made using a straight key fun. I have been using it in parallel with my Begali Simplex Mono. The two keys are very similar in stability and feel. Kent Engineering has produced a very high quality straight key.