Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | Kent KT-1 Professional straight key Help

Reviews Summary for Kent KT-1 Professional straight key
Kent KT-1 Professional straight key Reviews: 14 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $135
Description: This is Robert Kent's Professional model on a heavy metal base. This key is NOT distributed by Alpha Delta in the U.S., but available direct from Kent
More info: http://www.kent-engineers.com/morseKEYindex.htm

You can write your own review of the Kent KT-1 Professional straight key.

N0JL Rating: 5/5 Apr 16, 2007 15:34 Send this review to a friend
Current favorite straight key.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have used this beast for several months now. I key with keyboard, iambic paddle (Kent), single lever (Kent), and straight key. If it is under about 20 wpm, I use this thing. Heavy, doesn't move and I even like the European type of sending. Yes, I would buy another.

KD0V Rating: 5/5 Jul 26, 2006 17:19 Send this review to a friend
Good, Positive Key  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The key is very well made. It stays put and is very smooth to use. It replaced a very old and very poor condition J-38. This key has made using a straight key fun. I have been using it in parallel with my Begali Simplex Mono. The two keys are very similar in stability and feel. Kent Engineering has produced a very high quality straight key.

9V1VV Rating: 5/5 May 25, 2004 23:42 Send this review to a friend
Good Workmanship  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have used many different amateur straight keys, none of which come up to this standard. I was once a ship's R/O and I used Marconi, JRC and Redifon straight-lever keys which are hard to find nowadays. The Kent KT-1 approaches or matches the feel of these professional keys. Good balance and rock steady construction ensure that once you set a gap, it stays that way. The key won't bounce at all. The only other amateur key I know that is this good is the GHD 501M from japan.

KK4DW Rating: 4/5 Dec 30, 2003 23:47 Send this review to a friend
Good, solid, straight key  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I own quite a variety of keys so I have the luxury of hauling out several at a time and wiring them up. If you liked the SK-1 on the wooden base, you'd probably love the KT-1 even more on the heavier metal base. They've made this one for daily commercial and / or military use. Interesting tid-bid, Kent used to supply keys to Palomar Engineers in the early '60s. When Kent couldn't supply enough on time, Palomar switched to the famous Jones keys from Peter Jones. The PK-105 Palomar was the SK-1.
I try very hard to say about any key that it is the "best" key, because I think "recency" always plays into that statement. It's a darned good one if you like pounding brass. Personally, I equally like my Junker, or my CMI-26003A, Nye Master, or even the Bencher RJ-1 (with new spring). Variety of life is what makes it so nice.