Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | MFJ-4225MV Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-4225MV
MFJ-4225MV Reviews: 33 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $149.00
Description: 25A Continuous (32A peak) Switching Power supply with variable voltage output.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-4225MV

You can write your own review of the MFJ-4225MV.

AA2SM Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2014 22:03 Send this review to a friend
Can't be beat for the money  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Had one of these power supplies for many years until it got damaged while moving around items in my shack. Replaced it with a 4245 and found that to slowly get a loud hum, loud fan and complaints from other hams that my rig was buzzing. Well I decided to get another 4225MV. Its a real nice power supply, super quiet and you don't even know its turned on. I love the size also. Tried Astrons, and various other supplies in the past. This one is consistent with its quiet and reliable performance. A great product. Could afford one ten times more expensive but why mess with success.

KF7ZSF Rating: 4/5 Feb 21, 2014 01:49 Send this review to a friend
Fan noise, yet another approach  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned this unit for about a year. It's dedicated to powering my Yaesu FT-7900R (which I mounted on top of the 4225 by flipping the vehicle mount bracket upside down, and using quake putty to hold it in place, it looks really good and its as solid as screws!) so it's not being pushed real hard and sits in a climate controlled living room next to my LazyBoy.

Solid fit and finish, it's been flawless with daily use.

The fan noise is annoying and surprisingly loud. To fix this I installed a small SPST toggle switch in the fan circuit. The front panel just didn't have enough real estate behind it, so I mounted it on the back panel, right above the fuse holder. The switch I used has a 1/4" mounting post. It fit perfectly and works/looks great.

I flip the fan on when I'm really chewin the extended rag even though it's probably not necessary as the chassis remains room temp throughout. Of course, that yellow fan light on the front goes off when you flip the fan off, so there is a visual reminder as well. It's when it's quiet and you're just listening that you'll really appreciate the fan being off.

The 12v lighter socket is an interesting extra that I actually use on occasion with a phone charger.

The meters are handy and accurate.

Other than the noise of the blowing fan, this is a solid switching power supply that's well built, dependable, looks good, and is a good value.

KD0PCJ Rating: 4/5 Dec 31, 2013 11:57 Send this review to a friend
Good unit for the price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I use the MFJ to power an IC-735 and a couple of cooling fans for my Swan 270 and Dentron amp without any problems. The fan noise is for real, but I took the mod one step further by replacing the OEM fan with an Antec 92mm three speed computer fan. Its very quiet, I can control the fan RPM with an external switch, its bigger and still fits in the housing. The DC adjust dial is bit touchy on mine, may replace it in the future. Overall, a decent power supply for the price I paid used.

KJ4VVU Rating: 4/5 Aug 26, 2013 04:19 Send this review to a friend
Still working after 3 years  Time owned: more than 12 months
It powers my Alinco Dual band and TYT radio's for the last 3 years. The fan is a litltle noisy and the meter lamps went out....but it is a good power supply.

N7JJK Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2013 18:35 Send this review to a friend
Works great  Time owned: months
I got this power supply shortly after I got my license in 2006. It works very well, and the fan noise is present, but not too loud. I usually wear a headset so it doesn't bother me. Like most MFJ products, it's a good value for the price.

AD7NQ Rating: 5/5 Dec 6, 2012 14:42 Send this review to a friend
Fan Noise Fix  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got this unit for free when I purchased a transceiver from a fellow ham. Once I tried it out, I realized he didn't want it because of the fan noise. A 50-ohm, 2-watt resister in the fan circuit did wonders...almost whisper quiet with adequate ventilation. Considering how well it's built, I'll have it forever and will give it a 5/5 rating.

KB8BAB Rating: 4/5 Oct 28, 2012 09:49 Send this review to a friend
We're ready for take-off Captain...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Like the power supply, nice and small. Sounded like there was a jet engine ready for take-off! Put a 50 Ohm resistor inline to slow the fan up a bit.
Other than that, no complaints.

KF7YEL Rating: 5/5 Sep 29, 2012 12:06 Send this review to a friend
Very Good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just recently recieved my new MFJ-4225MV power supply and so far I am very pleased with it.It is light weight and easy to carry around. There is a slight noise from the fan but hardly enough to be a problem. Overall, a very good power supply.

WB6FLY Rating: 4/5 Nov 13, 2011 15:56 Send this review to a friend
Nice unit, but...  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Although the MFJ-4225MV is a very capable unit, it does suffer from the same design flaw that is found in many Astron units: The negative terminal is internally connected to chassis ground. This often causes AC hum to occur in audio circuits, due to a ground loop, and it may cause data corruption in repeater controllers.

I was able to eliminate this ground connection by inserting a thin insulating washer beneath the PC board, at the screw nearest the voltage adjust pot. The procedure and photos are posted on the Repeater-Builder list.

When I ran a load test on this unit, I discovered that the AC current draw exceeds the rating of the 5A mains fuse, even at 22 amps load. The fuse should be 6.3 amps to permit full rated load. The load test report is also posted on the R-B site.

W8KQE Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2011 06:42 Send this review to a friend
Great power supply and value! Works great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Having an Astron 35M all these years (14 years and still working perfectly!), this is my first foray into lightweight switching type power supplies. I needed an all around, value driven PS to use to operate 'backyard (patio) portable', since I enjoy being outdoors a lot during the summer months. The MFJ 4225MV more than fits the bill. I love the compactness, twin meters, variable output, and 13.8 VDC detente position, as well as the lighter plug socket. I've also not experienced any hash or noise as well, and was encouraged at the QST test reviews on MFJ switching supplies that seem to confirm this. My only minor nitpick would be the constant on fan being a tad bit noisy, but this is less of an issue if you position the power supply a few feet away from your transceiver, or under a desk. In summation, fantastic job MFJ!