Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | MFJ-4225MV Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-4225MV
MFJ-4225MV Reviews: 33 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $149.00
Description: 25A Continuous (32A peak) Switching Power supply with variable voltage output.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-4225MV

You can write your own review of the MFJ-4225MV.

W5NM Rating: 1/5 Oct 28, 2010 10:24 Send this review to a friend
Noisy Agreed!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had one of these for 3 years. It drove me crazy.
Good power supply, but the fan noise was just too much for my shack.
I sold it at a ham fest and bought 2 Samlex power supplies...
NO noise... and only a little RFI down low on
160M.

HA4ZD Rating: 2/5 Oct 27, 2010 16:02 Send this review to a friend
Noisy fan  Time owned: more than 12 months
This PS is very noisy! When the cover is removed the fan noise strongly reduced, so with some care during redesign this PS could become a very good one. There is no improvement during this long long life cycle of this product.

N5VEG Rating: 5/5 Sep 27, 2010 04:52 Send this review to a friend
Excellent supply, price not withstanding  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
At the New Orleans Hamfest the other day I got a new MFJ 4225MV 25 Amp switching power supply. I have been using the old Pyramid and Astron plain face models for years but needed something that had more features. This MFJ supply caught my eye because it had all the features I wanted plus a couple more!

This supply has two large lighted meters one for current and one for voltage. It is adjustable from 9 to 16 volts and has LED's for both on/off and fan. Power poles and a 7 amp car lighter plug are up front. I like the fact that I can now see the amount of current my radio pulls with just a glance at the meter.

Some have complained that the fan is noisy but I don't notice it when the HF rig is on as it easily overpowers it. Did I mention it is very light weight? No hernia with this supply! There is NO noticeable "hash" on my particular example. (it is also grounded)

Overall, I think MFJ has got a good product in this unit and the bonus of dual metering is a definite attraction.

WB8UUJ Rating: 5/5 Sep 4, 2010 21:37 Send this review to a friend
I'm quite satisfied....  Time owned: more than 12 months
Believe me, I'm willing and able to label a specific MFJ product as "a piece junk" when it is, but I've had my MFJ-4225MV since October 2007 and I am honestly quite satisfied with it. I carry it back and forth from Michigan to Florida each winter and I use it with HF as well as VHF/UHF rigs. Its specs and its physical size seem to suit my needs well. I also enjoy the "lighted" meters and the detent power adjustment knob. A negative factor for me, however, are the 5-way high-current binding posts. I realize that these 5-way posts are what everyone considers state-of-the-art these days, but for proper connections they do require either commercially manufactured spade connectors or "homemade" spade connectors, formed by using diagonal cutters on ring connectors. And yes, to be sure, the fan is not silent. But I'm somewhat hard of hearing at this point in my life and I keep the supply either under my operating table in my Michigan shack or around the corner on a shelf in my Florida shack.

KE4GRP Rating: 5/5 Jan 16, 2009 14:16 Send this review to a friend
Works just fine.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had bought one of these about 8-10 years ago for outdoor operation, and it has worked just fine for that period of time. Very light weight-easy to move around. Bought another one last year to run my Kenwood TS 480HX(it takes two).

Anyway, yes, there is a fan noise, but everything else I have running also has a fan noise, which is not really noticable after while. After hauling around the Astron 35 (another fine ps), it is a pleasure to move MFJ.

N2FVS Rating: 4/5 Sep 19, 2008 01:37 Send this review to a friend
works fine  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am surprised people complain about the fan. Either they have ears so good they can hear a pin drop in a different room, or they have a different supply than what I have. The fan makes very little noise in mine. This supply is fine. Works well. I opened it to clean inside since mine is in a very dusty environment, the construction is fine. It's not mil spec, but what do you want for $150? After five years of 24/7/365 use, my meter lamp burned out, that's why I give it 4 instead of five stars.

N2QQF Rating: 4/5 Aug 15, 2008 05:54 Send this review to a friend
no problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this power supply for about two years and I can say I am happy and impressed with it. I use it for powering up my radios and not in a lab environment which you would not really use a switching power supply in a lab environment anyhow but you get the point. Anyhow, I have had no issues and it works for me all the time without a hiccup. I would certainly buy another when the time comes so again no issues and worth the money.

K2DSL Rating: 4/5 Jun 1, 2008 13:47 Send this review to a friend
Solid performance - loud fan  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I picked mine up on eBay for a good price. It was new. It's a solid unit with dual meters showing Voltage (adjustable) and current when drawing power (like transmitting).

Has worked extremely well and the only criticism is the fan is always on (even if nothing is drawing power) and the fan isn't very quiet. The unit does stay cool to the touch, even after hours of being on.

KN6LE Rating: 2/5 May 29, 2008 20:39 Send this review to a friend
Buy an Astron  Time owned: more than 12 months
This supply went belly up. Sent it in to MFJ. Five months and $63 later, it was back in the shack. Since then gone over to Astrons. Prove it to yourself. Take both the Astron and MFJ supplies apart. No comparision. Very shoddy workmanship on MFJ switcher.

WA2EWE Rating: 5/5 Dec 22, 2007 20:55 Send this review to a friend
Very Reliable!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a fine product. I bought mine to use in Iraq with 220 volt AC power (my Alinco is 120 volt only) and found that it survived the trip, the dust, and the abuse. Ok, the fan is always on and not quite quiet. Also, while this unit works very well, it would be more convenient to have five way binding posts on the back of the unit too. I will add these aling with a fan switch myself.

Jim, WA2EWE